Monitoring home freezer temp while gone

LindaShields

We are getting ready to take our Oliver ("Olivia" #111 and tow "Ruby") on the road again. Last week while gone on a short trip our household freezer stopped working and we came home to water on the floor and food thawing. I am trying to find a themometer I can monitor with my phone while we are gone again. Does anyone have a suggestion for a system that is not very expensive and can be read through an iphone app? Thanks Linda

2016 Oliver Elite 2 #111 Tow vehicle Porsche Cayenne 2008

States Visited Map

My question, so your in the outer - back of beyond - Utah, and you get just enough cell signal to find out your freezer has stopped working, what to do, other than fret.

I unplug everything but the fridge and the freezer, if the power goes out or, whatever, too bad for me - we would only loose some frozen produce - stuff we grew, try to take the expensive stuff with us, or use it all before leaving.

But I understand the concern. well sort of.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Thanks for the suggestion. We have kids/ neighbors who could come in an check what happened The real problem was warped wooden floor from pooling water (gone three days). I do intend to empty the ice maker next time I leave for a period of time. Spoiled food is not so much of a concern. More the damage from sitting water. We did once (a long time ago) come back in house before we left and found our basement was ankle deep in water from a rusted out water heater. That would be a bigger mess and is not on my radar so much anymore and probably should be.

2016 Oliver Elite 2 #111 Tow vehicle Porsche Cayenne 2008

States Visited Map

If you have WiFi (intent) service, you can use the Sensorpush Gateway and one (or more) sensors to monitor temp and humidity from anywhere using a phone app. WE use this system in our Oliver to monito the refrigerator and the room temperature and humidity (2 sensors, one gateway) provided the Oliver WifiRanger has internet service where we are camped.

Sensorpush-remote-temp-monitor.thumb.jpg.127b28560b9eb53fcbdaf1531fc59b35.jpg

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Ring security systems are very affordable (a basic one is about $200) and the monthly monitoring is only $10. You can get a freeze/ water sensor for $35 that alerts if the temp drops below 40 degrees in that area, or if it sense liquid water. Set it on the floor directly in front of the freezer and it should give a fairly quick alert if there is water dripping out.

Alternately, buy a drip pan like the one under your water heater and don't worry too much about lost food or damaged floors.

https://www.grainger.com/category/safety/spill-control-supplies/drip-pans-and-spill-containment-trays

Have you ensured that the built in drip pan drain is OK?

https://removeandreplace.com/2018/08/30/freezer-is-leaking-water-from-bottom-water-on-floor-how-to-fix/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have kids/ neighbors who could come in an check what happened The real problem was warped wooden floor from pooling water (gone three days). I do intend to empty the ice maker next time I leave for a period of time. Spoiled food is not so much of a concern. More the damage from sitting water. We did once (a long time ago) come back in house before we left and found our basement was ankle deep in water from a rusted out water heater. That would be a bigger mess and is not on my radar so much anymore and probably should be.

Hmm, usually code requires a drip pan with drain, or a local area drain. Still what a mess.

When we left for Alaska a few years back, I drained the H2O tank. I always turn the water off if we are gone for more than 2 days, power is cut to Hot water tank. All appliances other than fridge are off grid also.

If its winter - I drain the lines ( I installed a valve at the lowest spot, just after the cut off valve, open all taps, and drain the H2O tank. . If it was going to be really really cold, I guess I could pour RV anti freeze in the drains.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201