Is Legacy two big enough for 2 adults and two 60 lbs dogs

Mac

My wife and i love the quality of the Oliver product. Our only concern is whether there's enough livable space for 4 living creatures. Would really appreciate some experienced Olly-owner opinions. The dogs (60 lbs goldendoodles) are non-shedding and calm and sleep anywhere they please.

• Thanks 2

If you are referring to the longer Elite II, then yes, maybe, possibly. We have two Australian Labradoodles, 40 pounds each, and it is acceptable. But we are always tripping over them, since they haven't the wits to stay under the dinette or remain in the entry. The center isle is rather narrow (less than 2 ft) since this is a 7 ft wide trailer. We love our dogs but they and we are much happier when they are not with us. Even without them we usually have to do a little dance to get around each other when one is at the galley. It is an unavoidable factor. We are both normal sized adults, very large individuals will have a much harder time.

A visit to the factory or to a nearby Oliver would answer your concerns. If you are referring to the Elite (single axle) then no, you will have problems for sure. Consider the implications of two sopping wet dogs, coming in from the dark..... you need some floor space.

Welcome to the forums.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I'm sure that "Shallowgal" will respond to this question at some point - all four of them at presently on the road somewhere near Rapid City. They have been in an Elite II for several months now traveling to Alaska and back with their two fairly good sized dogs. As far as I know both the humans and the dogs are doing fine and enjoying the ride.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

ould really appreciate some experienced Olly-owner opinions.

We travel with a 90lbs Chesapeake He spent 7 weeks with us and the rig this summer, not really an issue, two of them, hmmmm, would be a stretch - for me anyways. Quite honestly, the real issue is the number of parks and such that have stupid restrictions about dogs on the trail. Harley never leaves trash on the trail, or carves his initials into signage, or otherwise mucks up the nature area. If he goes - he goes out -- off the trail. Rant over...

Went to Fla this spring, boarded Harley, missed him the whole time... Last time.

120 lbs of dog, out towards the limit I would think. But two kids - no, I'll take the dogs.... says the dad of two adult boys...with 2 grand boys.... whew.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Consider the implications of two sopping wet dogs, coming in from the dark….. you need some floor space

Now I must add - this is important. Harley is a water dog - if there is any water within a hundred miles he finds it. I keep a few dog specific towels around for the eventual. One additional thing - is the travel in the TV. We have the rear seat area in our truck fully covered and protected - its his home during the drive - works out fine. But a non dog owner may find it "troublesome"

The added benefit - nobody walks up to the RV un-announced!!

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Hi the whippet herd and I just returned from our first Ollie camping trip, five days of dog shows and lure trials at Sampson State Park in NY. I have set up "Picasso" as a queen bed, works perfectly side to side with just the table top. There was plenty of space for me and the six Whippets, four of which I admit sleep in/on the bed with me, the other two hung out on a seat and the floor. From long practice in the A liner camper they know to hop up on the bed out of the way while I am cooking or whatever. We all loved the amenities of the Ollie, favourite gadget so far the remote for the fan! Pure luxury not to have to get up to adjust airflow in changeable NY weather. Anya & co.

We have a 90 lb hound/lab mix. We put his bed in the entry and he stays there out of the way. I don't know how he does it, but he curls himself up into a small ball when he sleeps even when we are at home. During the day we mostly hang out outside anyway so we stay out of each other's way. We've only got one dog so I can't comment on how it would be with two. Ours is a big guy though.

Welllll, how particular are you? Doodles are nature's velcro.

We are on day 122 of our 160 day +/- meandering trek from FL to AK & back. When we left home our sweet Ollie looked so quaint. Matching bedding, pillows, rugs & I did my best to keep it that way. After a few weeks, I reassessed my priorities & ditched the fluff. The pretty entry rug was replaced with a plastic grass one to catch as much of the outdoors before it made its way back to the beds. (We have the king/dinette version but because the bed/table made the interior feel tight, we left it with family in KS.) We sleep on the benches with memory foam & the dogs get the space at the back & on a dog bed on the floor. That is where they hang all the time, except to drink from their water bowl that's in the shower. Weather permitting, we are outside most of the time, which I think is the norm. We mostly boondock but between locations we stay somewhere with full hookups & do a deep cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, you know. What I learned the hard way is that trailers do not have enough water pressure to bathe the dogs. Groomers are impossible to schedule. If you know where you'll be far enough in advance, you might be able to schedule one at a Petco or the like. Otherwise, I find a do-it-yourself dog wash. Some places there are car washes with one bay converted to a pet wash. Quite clever!

Only restrictions we've encountered is hiking in National Parks or anywhere there are bear problems. But then, I wouldn't take them anywhere dangerous.

Despite all of the above reality, traveling with our Doods is a pleasure; they are the reason we have a camper. If you decide you need more space, I wouldn't blame you but there are huge tradeoffs. The obvious is the quality & comradeship you'd lose. Ollie owners are truly special.

20190607_184245.thumb.jpg.5bde42ac21ef5e674567d27f087791b0.jpg

20190824_172240.thumb.jpg.425f7f87f32c2b6c0e22719e5780531f.jpg

• Thanks 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 2 weeks later...

John, thanks for the advice!  You've helped me further imagine the practical grind of managing the space.  Seems that we'll need to carry a few washables...rugs and light bedspreads... to manage the extra chaos. Regards, Mac

Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply! Very helpful. We are strongly trending toward the Elite 2 but are not in a hurry as wouldnt mind saving $20K getting something lightly used vs new.

Do you know that you can save $20k or are you hoping? Ollies do not depreciate like stick and staple trailers. There are no pricing guides for used Ollies, dealers have no clue about their value, and sellers never post actual selling prices in their classified ads. The used Ollie market is a big mystery until some actual data can be collected and listed.

Considering the loss of warranty and the pricing I would probably hesitate to buy used. Oliver customer service is stellar, even to a second owner, but I always feel lots better with a warranty in writing. You never know what things will be like in ten years or more....But that is just me.... I am a bit of a grinch.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The $20k+ savings math is based on a new 2019 built out Elite II that pushes 80K (because of Tn sales tax) vs the slightly used 2017s recently listed $55-60k.  I am very interested in Denali Dave's Oliver but cant seem to find out if it's still available.