Mattress Alternative

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We love the firm base of the high density foam cushions in our Oliver, topped with a megasoft mattress pad. However, I know some folks have asked about replacing the cushions with a full time mattress. I never thought that was such a great idea, having to get to the jacks, water pump, and some storage under the cushions... It's such a hassle to even think about propping up half a mattress while you're working.

Paul & I went to the St. Pete Boat Show today, and I found a really amazing product. Real, luxury pillowtop innerspring mattresses (or high density plus memory foam pillowtoppers), two kinds, from a custom manufacturer. They hinge in the middle, so you can (a) carry the mattress in easily (b) fold half the mattress back on top of the other half when working in the storage area... probably without remaking the bed! Looked cool to me. Probably expensive, too, but if you're full-timing or spending the summer in the trailer... might be the answer. I stretched out on one of the innerspring pillow tops, and it was great. Very comfy. They manufacture custom sizes, apparently.

So, for what it's worth, here's the link: http://www.boatbeds.com/Options/CustomHinge.html

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Good link, thanks Sherry. You know our bed is a like the forward berth in a cuddy cabin. Our mattress would need to fold Port and Starboard, instead of Fore and Aft though. A clever idea for a quality nights rest.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Larry, the comfy mattresses that I "test drove" at the boat show hinged so that the mattress could be folded over and access the storage under the port or starboard side big seat. I couldn't feel the seam or hinge at all. I'm happy with what we have, but thought it was a really interesting product.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry, this product looks like it holds much promise, especially as a bed that someone might choose to have installed in their trailer from the git go. I would think the innerspring mattress might be too heavy but the foam mattress would be light enough for the Oliver owner.

We have the twin bed option in the rear with the standard configuration on the street side, across from the kitchen area. Geneva sleeps in the rear and I sleep on the street side. I got Geneva a 3 inch memory foam pad for her bed and I sleep directly on the Oliver cushions, which I find to be a bit too firm for comfort. My bed is only 24 inches wide and an inch or two shy of my six foot length. We use Travasaks for our bedding, which are too hot in the summer but okay in the winter, but they take up a lot of room when rolled up. A good night's sleep often escapes us when we are camping, so we are still looking for something that will give me more width to sleep and both of us more comfort.

I may look into one of these foam mattresses with an eye to widening my bed by at least a couple of inches, and get a fold right in the middle of the mattress. We would have to take the mattress in and out of the trailer every morning and evening, storing it in the truck during the day. Do you recall any pricing for these mattresses?

Thanks for the link.

• Moderators

Doug, I wasn't in the market, but I did listen in. I think the sales rep said something about $600 and up for the mattresses to another customer. My luck, what I wanted would be much more.I don't know if he was talking about the hinged version or not, which would be the only real alternative for us to be able to get to all the components under the seats. I was curious because both the innerspring and the foam mattesses I test drove felt so good, and we're thinking about an Alaska trip in the next year or two. Three and a half or four months in the treailer, straight on, I might want a different mattress for "full-timing" (part-time at least).

For our trailer, I've bought two mattress pads, one as a protector and a four inch "down alternative" feather bed topper. I put the regular mattress pad on top to keep from having to launder the heavy one so often, and I make up the bed just using the pads, not the cushions, as "anchors", except for the foot of the bed. It's very comfortable in this arrangement. Others have told me that an egg crate under a regular mattress pad was comfy, but I've never used an egg crate, so I didn't know if I'd like it. would certainly be easier to cut to fit for the small twins.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4