Atwood Furnace at high altitude

Camping recently in Colorado, our furnace would not fire. A search of this forum helped identify the problem as an insufficient air flow problem. I removed the outside panel, gently manipulated the ribbon sensor and all was fine - until the next day. Same issue. I called support and was told the furnace was not going to get enough air at above 5,000 ft. Simple solution seems to be to have a small space heater, but I'd rather have a safer solution. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a “high altitude “ solution?

We just got back from camping five nights at 8,700 in Mammoth Lakes, CA. Overnight temperatures were as low as 16 degrees. One night was 21 and windy enough to shake the trailer with the stabilizers down! The furnace worked just fine, other than eating up the propane. Sorry you had problems.

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

5,000 feet would eliminate most everywhere I'd want to camp. I'm not even sure that I'd call that "high altitude". Like Andrew, we've never had any problems - but then we have the Suburban furnace. Just curious, whose service told you that, Oliver's or Atwood's?

• Moderators

I've camped at just over 11,000 feet with no problems with the furnace. However, I do recall reading that anything above 6,500 to 7,000 might cause issues due to lack of O. Suburban for mine.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Just FYI:

I confirmed with Service at OTT and called support at Dometic (Atwood). Their furnaces are not rated above 5,000 ft., they do have high altitude kits for meduim size furnaces only. No upgrade for the Oliver.

I guess my options are: Stay low (not gonna happen); add a fireplace; replace with a furnace that works at altitude; use a space heater (most likely solution).

• Moderators
Just FYI:

I confirmed with Service at OTT and called support at Dometic (Atwood). Their furnaces are not rated above 5,000 ft.

Surprising. A lot of us routinely camp above 5,000 feet.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

For what its worth - in addition to the Oliver furnace I always carry both a small 1500 watt electric heater (used only on the rare occasion I have shore power) and my "Mister Heater Buddy" propane heater. Both work great at any altitude with the Mister Heater Buddy not having an effect on electric usage since it has no fan.

Bill

p.s. I really do think that there is something amiss with the furnace not working above 5,000 feet and would have it "serviced" if I could not find the source of the problem.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

What year is your Oliver. Are we talking the Dometic Furnace that comes on the 2019. Just picked ours up. If true I will not be a happy camper come March in Colorado.

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• 9 months later...
On 10/10/2019 at 4:37 AM, AndrewK said:

Bill, We have hull #468 that we picked up at the end of May.  The furnace works great and we have camped in temps down to 16 degrees at 8,700 feet.

I would not be concerned.

Andrew

Seems 9600" is a concern. Mine doesn't like to ignite properly at this altitude. Really stupid I think. #359, 2018 build.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201