Trailer registration

desmo_pilot

Hi all,

I'm picking up the new Ollie this weekend...can't wait! :D I'm curious how other's have worked out their license registration. I realize that each state is different, but I'm most curious if everyone is getting a temporary registration prior to picking up the trailer. Then once back in home state get the permanent registration? Or just waiting until getting it home to register it?

Also, is anyone getting hit with home state sales tax when they register it?

Thanks!

Kyle

We registered our trailer after returning home. We waited more than a month and had to pay a fine of over $100, plus the sales tax, plus the registration, $2,402.02 total (6.25% state sales tax). We live in Texas.

It hurt, BAD!

Still recovering, and we won't be back on our feet for months. We are retired and live on a small monthly fixed income. No way to legally avoid this expense that I know of.

Same story for me, though I didn't pay any sort of late registration penalty. I paid the usual 6.5% sales tax (just like any motor vehicle) plus some other minor fees. Though painful, it's a lot better than paying the sales tax in Tennessee, which is much higher due to lack of income taxes.

Hope you have a great time picking up your new trailer!

Herm

Oops...forgot to answer your question about temporary registration. Yes, Oliver will provide you with a temporary plate which is good for a month or so. You'll then need to register the trailer (and presumably pay taxes, etc.) once you return home.

Herm

Yes, Oliver will give you a 30 day temp tag to get you home. But you will need to register yourself with your home state and pay any appropriate sales tax.

Chris and I are full-time RVers and are domiciled in South Dakota. One reason we picked SD is because they charge only a 3% excise tax on new vehicle registrations, which saved us a ton'o'cash on registration.

- Cherie

Congratulations!!!! :D

Oliver will give you a 30 day temp reg. Not knowing which state ya'll are in, I would really STRONGLY rec that you register in your home state ASAP!! My Oliver is reg in Texas and that's where I paid sales tax and registration. As one example showed, late reg can be VERY expensive in TX :cry: and CA, my prior home state, is even worse :evil: . All the info you need is on the temp lic!

Welcome to the forum and again, congratulations!!!!

Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

If you sold a previous camper of any sort, knowing that you were going to buy an Oliver, In many States you pay taxes only on the difference between the two. Because you had already paid taxes on the first trailer when you registered it.

For example, we had sold our 34' class A moho, and deducted the amount it sold for from the cost of the Oliver, then paid taxes on that part only. A savings of hundreds of bucks ! Maybe Arkansas is different somehow ?

If there was no sale and re purchase, it would have been pay taxes on the whole thing.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Congratulations!

Let me second Tumbleweed's recommendation that you register your Oliver in your home state as soon as possible after you bring the Oliver into the state, to avoid late fees. They are really high here in California! Your state's motor vehicle department web site should have information regarding how long you have to get it registered.

Steve

I was wondering about what Mountainborn says. I know when you do a trade with a dealer you only pay sales tax on the difference, but wasn't sure about selling a unit then buying another later. Too late in my case, if it worked that way in FL, but I did benifit from an error the clerk made, saved few hundred, honestly didn't notice myself for a few days. Also, if your state doesn't have an income tax, you can deduct the sales tax from your federal taxes. This was extended for 2008.