APRIL 09' JUG FISHING CAMPOUT INVITATION

mountainborn

• Moderators

Option #1 Kirby Landing Campground with water, elect., showers

April 2009, the third week,Just after the Full moon, Camping and Jug Fishing.

Cool nights. Mild days. Catch em', Fry em', Eat em' ! Dominoes, ect. after dark, naps in the afternoon.

Tie your watercraft up right at your campsite. I will provide the bait, tackle and fish cooker for a week of jug fishing. A total of nine days, counting the weekend on each end of the five weekdays. Come for the whole thing or any part you can.

This is a USCOE Lake and reservations are not needed in April. Hot Showers and flush bathrooms a short walk up the hill, with water and electricity on the campsites.

The geezer pass cost is $7.50 per day ( half price ).

We will post videos and photos as well as maps, ect., should there be any intrest in this one.

Sunrises and Sunsets are spectacular on Lake Greeson this time of the year:

04-15-07_0659-1.jpg

>

Sunrise__03-16-07_0727.jpg

>

04-15-07_1438.jpg

>

04-15-07_2032.jpg

>

04-15-07_napin.jpg

>

A video look at campsite #27

>

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mo ... anding.flv

>

th_04-25-08_0920CampSite27KirbyLanding.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Option #2 Rock Creek Campground, no hookups, vault toilet

>

Here is the Rock Creek Info: ( a paste from our campground reviews section )

>

ROCK CREEK CAMPGROUND, LAKE GREESON ARKANSAS

Elevation= 701 feet above sea level

Coordinates= 34* 12.463 North 093* 45.622 West

Rock Creek is a large inlet off of the main body of Lake Greeson. Water sports such as water skiing are not allowed on that part of the lake. It is a fisherman's part of the lake and it is quiet.

This inlet is calm and an ideal location for a kayak, canoe, foldbote or john boat. Boat launching is from an old road that goes down into the lake. A shallow draft water craft such as a canoe can travel up into the far reaches of rock creek for some really great pan fish fishing ! There are no signs with all of the usual postings such as, " no lifeguard present, swim at your own risk", or, "road ends in the water". There is no fee drop slot and any ranger that seldom makes a patrol round gives a friendly wave as they pass by. The campsites are at the end of a dead end road, traffic is very light.

No water, no electricity, no dump station. There is however a recently refurbished vault type toilet, with tissue provided. The last time we were here the roof of the outhouse was covered with badly deteriorared and moss covered wood shingles. It now has new screens and new asphalt shingles on the roof, to go with a new coat of paint.

>

05-11-08_1057.jpg

At the time of this visit there were a total of three campers there, a 34 foot fith wheel, a school bus camper and a 20 foot travel trailer.

A short distance West of Daisy Arkansas, on US Hwy. 70, you will turn South at this sign:

>

05-11-08_1127.jpg

Coordinates for this turn= 34* 14.212 North 093* 50.482 West

The turn is posted with a sign indicating 6.2 miles to Rock Creek. It is all gravel roads from here on.

While driving to the turn off to Rock Creek, you will pass the nearest location for Gasoline, groceries, fishing tackle and live bait. This is a "Mom & Pop" business, located at "THE STAR OF THE WEST" recreational area, located right on US Hwy 70 where it crosses the Little Missouri River.

>

05-11-08_1126.jpg

Coordinates on US Hwy 70 = 34* 14.429 North 093* 50.003 West

This is a really good rural general store and there is a "whittlin' and spittin' bench out front where critical information such as, " what are they a' bitin' on today ? " is traded daily. It is a wildlife check station and many of the local oudoorsmen have a photo on the wall proudly displaying a trophy Turkey or Bass.

Video of the campground

Here is a three minute video clip showing the last part of the road to the campsite and a quick look around once there:

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mo ... 8_1053.flv

>

th_05-11-08_1053.jpg

At the time of this writing, there was no time limit on how long a camper could stay posted, but you might be reminded of the 14 day stay limit before you have to move to another site.

This is a good fishing lake, so if you have trouble hauling all of them ol' bigguns' in, call me ! 8-)

My cell number is: 479-243-5450 if you need more. :D

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Each April we go to Lake Greeson. We usualy have a decent catch and have several fish frys over the course of the week.

We would be pleased to have your company for all or part of the week. Don't have or want to tow a boat to the lake ? Not a problem. Our boat can haul eight or ten at a time, see photo.

The main objective is to enjoy the Spring weather and visit with friends.

The two options are presented so, just voice your prefrence. The Kirby landing campground, the one with electricity and showers, will be quiet that time of the year, because it will be populated by fishermen who rise early to recover their fishing jugs at first light.

The Rock Creek campground will also be quiet for the same reasons, just more remote and primitive.

We look forward to this great time of fishing and fellowship and hope to see you there !

Larry Harmon

479-243-5450

Want to talk about it some more ? Give me a call !

HOOOOOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D:D

Will be there if Betty promises to make my first ever fried catfish.....may need a little help catchin' n cleanin' too.....Had a BLAST the (way too short) last time I met there with Larry n Betty!!!! 9 (nine) days in heaven!!! how're the skeeters???????? :cry:

See ya'll there!!!! Chuck n Geri 8-)

• Moderator+

Hey, Larry....

That does sound like fun. Tali and I would love to be able to join you and yours for a few days. It would, of course depend on my work schedule. I will be off April 09 thru April 15. This hopefully will work out during the time that you plan to be at the lake. Let us know when you decide on the exact dates for your trip. We'd love to join you.

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

SWEET ! This is gona' be ever so cool. Chuck the skeeters is almost non existent, too early fer' em'.

Steve, those dates work for us, let's see what the best time is for others also. The main thing is that we need to be there just after the bait fish spawn which will be during the full of the moon.

Do you guys have a preference for Kirby Landing ( elect & showers ) or for Rock Creek ? ( no hook ups at all ). We will be retired by then, so the exact dates aren't critical for us ! Now ain't that cool ! We ain't never been able to say that in all of our adult lives ! We will likely get there early and stay late, even if it means having to move to a different site to stay in compliance with the corps regs.

How about the rest of youse' guys ? The more the merrier. We could have a domino tournament and crown the domino champions for the Season, with full bragging rights for the year ! I noted that Chuck and Geri were playing dominos at the RVER II, they might be the ones to beat !

:o The more the merrier is right!!! Steve n Tali, your April dates work for us as we are also in the same situation as Larry n Betty: reTIRED! Electricity n water would be our preference for all nine days espescially at geezer $$. FYI on Dominoes...Geri is just learning and I haven't played in awhile....I think Larry is setting us up!!!! :?

Keep us posted on dates and what ya'll need us to bring!! :?

Yeahhhhh, Chuck n Geri

• Moderators

Sounds like a gatherin' of the most relaxing kind . . . fishin', nappin', walkin', dominoin', lotsa gooood eatin', story swappin', & such great company to be amongst too!! Count Oscar & I in!

Sombody's gotta enjoy life . . . might as well be US! :lol:

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

These colder days I have been sitting in front of the fire working on some new jugs. They look and work about the same as the jugs that Chuck is familiar with. But they have a couple of small refinements that make them easier to handle and store. Here is a look at twelve of them. Just click on the photo for a larger view:

th_100_0019.jpg

That hot pink braided line is easier to see, further down in the water, when tangled up in a brush pile, ect.. The line is rated at 155 pound test. The egg shaped sinkers are on the line in such a manner that they are less likely to tangle up also. We have a new dip net for this year, it is bigger and heavier mesh. A big old blue catfish went right through the bottom of last year's net ! The reason for the heavy tackle is that the state record catfish is well over 100 pounds. Lake greeson is a "catfish lake". Conditions are ideal for catfish. So there is a good possibility that the next state record could come from Greeson. Now, wouldn't that be cool ! I can just see it now, a group photo in front of all them Oliver travel trailers ! With careful handling the State Record fish could be kept alive and on display at Bass Pro Shop in Little Rock, with our photo on the plaque. He, he, just a wild thought, but wouldn't that be some more kind of sweet !

Here is a look at the older jugs in a crate on the boat, click for larger view:

th_mb6.jpg

• Moderator+

Who's the ole crate on the front of the boat? :D

Sounds as if we may have quite a crowd at the "Greeson Gathering", we only need one more to break the old "Owner's Rally" record set in Van Buren. Come on Paul and Sherry, you know you want to.....

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Sounds like a gatherin' of the most relaxing kind . . . fishin', nappin', walkin', dominoin', lotsa gooood eatin', story swappin', & such great company to be amongst too!! Count Oscar & I in!

Sombody's gotta enjoy life . . . might as well be US!
:lol:

Pete, don't forget the Bluebonnet Rally, Wednesday April 22 through Sunday April 26 in Bandera.

Maybe this get together can be scheduled a week earlier so you could make both?

• Moderator+

DougI

It appears that only my schedule is fixed. As I stated in the original post, I'm off April 09 thru April 15. I would not be able to attend at any other time. These dates were chosen because Larry had suggested to me that since everyone else's time is flexable that I pick the dates. Obviously, if this is not suitable with everyone else then it should suit the majority. However, Larry further says that the date has to be after the full moon due to the spawn of the bait fish that need to be caught. The moon is full April 09, so it could not be scheduled any earlier.

Steve

DougI

It appears that only my schedule is fixed. As I stated in the original post, I'm off April 09 thru April 15. I would not be able to attend at any other time. These dates were chosen because Larry had suggested to me that since everyone else's time is flexable that I pick the dates. Obviously, if this is not suitable with everyone else then it should suit the majority. However, Larry further says that the date has to be after the full moon due to the spawn of the bait fish that need to be caught. The moon is full April 09, so it could not be scheduled any earlier.

Geneva and I would like to make this outing and April 9 thru April 15th is fine with us at this time. We will try to keep that week open so we can make it up. We love that area and will set our sights on being there, and hope everything works out. This will give us and Pete plenty of time to make it to the Bluebonnet Rally in Bandera, TX on April 22nd-26th.

• Moderators

DougI

Geneva and I would like to make this outing and April 9 thru April 15th is fine with us at this time. We will try to keep that week open so we can make it up. We love that area and will set our sights on being there, and hope everything works out. This will give us and Pete plenty of time to make it to the Bluebonnet Rally in Bandera, TX on April 22nd-26th.

SWEET ! Welcome Doug & Geneva ! This is beginning to shape up, shore nuff ! I was a bit nervous about the close proximity of the Blue Bonnet and the bait fish spawn, but it looks as though it will work out !

• Moderators

Mountainborn, looks like you're assembling a great little rally. We'd just love to be able to jump in and say "we're on board", but next April is a very tough month for us. We wish all of you a good time, and we'll be thinking of you! It's especially tempting since it's such a short hop to go up and visit Sherry's parents after or before the rally, but it doesn't look possible. You know if anything changes, we'll be there!

Sherry & Paul

PS Though walleye is our favorite fish, fresh caught catfish sounds awesome!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Walleye ! WALLEYE !! Don't you know that them fish has SCALES on em' ? Yuck ! It makes me shudder to even think about scales on a fish ! Now a proper eatin' fish has a smooth, shiney skin. :mrgreen: He, he, We hope things give a turn for the better by the time April rolls around, giving you guys a break in your schedule. Your company would be a nice thing for our lill' get togather.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

FORMAL STRUCTURE ? WE DON'T GOT NONE ! I know that there are those among us that may like everything spelled out, every activity planned, every meal scheduled and menued, with each days activitys listed on a written agenda. Agenda, AGENDA ! We don't need no stinkin' agenda !

We are gathering at Lake Greeson to catch and eat fish while visiting with friends, after a long Winter. Our main objective is to unwind in the outdoors after being cooped up for the winter.

Things we ain't got:

Registration procedure

Agenda

Schedule

Committees

Web Page

List of attendees

Fees associated with our gathering

There are probably more things that we ain't got, but I can't think of them right now !

Start time ? Betty and I will arrive at the Lake on the 8th or 9th of April and try to pick a campsite right on the water to make the handling of the fish easier. We are going to start a bit early this year to make it easier for those that need time to travel to the Blue bonnet Rally.

So, what do you need to bring or do ?

Easy ! Just arrive at a convienent time for you, then relax and enjoy the beautiful Arkansas Springtime !

Each year's fish camp is a little different because those that are able to attend that year, each do things a little bit different.

Here is a video look at one lunch scene at last year's camp:

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mo ... 2Plate.flv

I can't remember if I have posted this video clip before, or not.

Is it structured ? No way ! But it sure is laid back !

Where ? KIRBY LANDING LAKE GREESON ARKANSAS

When ? APRIL 9TH 2009 UNTIL WE GET TIRED OF FISHING OR LEAVE FOR THE BLUE BONNET RALLY

Will we be able to all camp side by side ? MAYBE NOT, SITES ARE NOT RESERVABLE THAT TIME OF THE YEAR

But we will, no doubt, all be close togather. Here is a photo of last year when Chuck was just across the road from Betty & I.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mo ... 8_1820.jpg

:D We be alookin' forward to seein' ya'll at Lake Greeson. Our last meet was waayyyy too short! We're gonna' get there as early as we may to get that spot I had last time!!! But that whole campground is real nice, probably not a bad site there! Any idea how much the fishin' license is for us foriegners? Wanna' try some shore fishin' for them catfish in that lake n maybe catch one n have ya'll show me how to clean it n Betty cook it up n have my first catfish!!!! YEAH! Life couldn't be no better than that!!!!!!!

Hope a lot of our friends and soon to be friends can make it to this gorgeous spot!

Chuck n Geri n Bobbi,Midget n Scottie 8-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This link has good directions to the Kirby Landing Campground area, from both Hot Springs and from Texarkana. Just scroll down to KIRBY LANDING:

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/lake-greeson.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

That early, nearly everything will be available. No reservations that early in the year. We will most likely go straight ahead, just past the guard shack to the area just before the swim beach. It is close to the showers, ect.. We can't hardly wait ! We talk about it daily. The second loop, on the left, the one with the handicaped access on it, has a bank that is ideal for boat tie up and is sheltered from the winds that accompany those Spring rains that quickly blow through occasionaly in April.

A large catfishing group I belong to is having a big get-together in May on Lake DeGray, and I found a really nice map of that lake that shows contours and man-made fish attractors; it cost only a few dollars, so it's well worth it for someone who isn't familiar with the lake. Do you know if they sell such a lake map of Lake Greeson?