APRIL 09' JUG FISHING CAMPOUT INVITATION

mountainborn

• Moderators

The corps of Engineere has a map of Greeson that gives coordinates of fish shelters, it is usually available from one of the rangers as they make their rounds, or at the guard shack ( host station ).

Betty and I have been scuba diving there for years and have first hand knowledge of the underwater terrain structures. We will be glad to share that with anyone that may have an intrest this April.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yes that's right. As scuba divers, we have placed "stuff" on them humps to hold fish. As is the case with most lakes that have house boats, they ( the house boats ) look for those same places so they can anchor out in open water. Their anchors drag the stuff off of the hump. The humps with natural rock leges are the ones that we love to spear fish while diving.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

As the time draws nearer for our rendezvous at Lake Greeson, Kirby Landing, Arkansas, we couldn't stand it, we just had to drive over for a look. Here is a video we took that will give you a look also. It has been resized a couple of times and wound up a bit short on the end to get it to upload to photobucket. Need more ?, just call me at 479.243.5450. Just click the photo to start the video:

th_100_0118.jpg

• Moderators

When you approach Kirby Landing on US Highway 70, you will find the turn off clearly marked with a sign, here is a look:

th_100_0117.jpg

• Moderators

During the commercials of "notting hill" tonite, we caught some minutes of a segment on catfish "grabbling" or "noodling" on another station. Yikes. No plans for that, I hope?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I am so sad I can't make it this year. Maybe when I retire. I waved to yall on my way up to Tennessee to get Revilo (yep Mountainborn, Oliver spelled backwards! That name just appeared in my head as I was trying to think what could I name mine and I went for it). Guess yall were already too busy fishin taking it easy before everybody gets there and didn't notice me waving. If I hadn't of been in such a hurry to get there to finally get Revilo I would have loved to swing over that way. Have fun. I'll be thinkin of yall. jam49

:shock: Do we have a list of potential and/or 'fursuregonnago' folks fir this here shindig?? Oscar n' his chauffer Pete were just thru here and hopefully they will meet us here in Apalachicola,FL to caravan up. Planned date of departure is the 4th but may be delayed a day or two. Arrival to be twixt the 8th n 10th. Anything that the PhunnyPharm inhabitants can contribute????

Hope to see all soon, Chuck 8-) Geri :) n critters.

• Moderators

Well, in the spirit of not keeping track, or having an actual count, a wild guess at this point is five or six Ollies and three or four from the Off Road camping Club.

Pot luck "kind of" happens, but is a impromptu, catch as catch can thing. Since the focus is on fishing, the mornings catch will determine if breakfast is at 8:30 or 9:30, but, honeybuns and coffee are in order while picking up the jugs/fish right at daylight.

Napping and geocaching events are just like wildfire, they just "kind of break out", and suddenly you will realize that someone has pirated your favorite recliner and is snoreing ! ( left it by the campfire ? )

Fish frys happen in the afternoons as needed, folks is jest' nachurly' "fish hungry" in the Spring of the year.

Domino matches break out at random intervals, but never interfere with the evening cast of the jugs, because the focus is on them catfish !

In amongst all of that other stuff, some of these things occour:

Repair jug lines that have been damaged by large catfish.

Run/move, put out, the bait traps.

Check with the neighbors to see what they are catching them on.

Dry out things after one of those wonderful Spring time thunder storms.

Make a run in to the store for some item that was forgotten.

Visit with the duty Ranger as he/she makes their rounds. He/She always knows what they are biting on !

Gather firewood, ( we dominoed' too late last nite and used up all of the firewood !)

Cruise down the Lake to sight see places like chimney rock, ect..

Plan/execute a geocaching forray.

Check NOAA weather radio because another little Spring time front is coming through and we will adjust the casting or pick up of the jugs to avoid the weather. ( another cup of coffee maybe ? ) .

As you can see this thing is very loosely organized and is a celebration of being back in the outdoors again after a long Winter.

The main ingredient is totaly relaxing in the Springtime outdoors with friends and family. Everything else will just naturally fall in place or somehow take care of it's self !

• Moderators

Mountainborn,

Our intention is to be there for some yet to be determined portion of the fun! It would not be in our nature nor the spirit of the event to try to be precise at this point. An AGENDA would not help.

Thanks for doing this.

Meanderthal

Great ! Tom & Karen make six Ollies so far !

Folks, as bad as i hate this because it smacks horribly of a Official list, you know, the one we ain't got, here is what I gleaned from the four pages of postings to this thread:

Mountainborn & Butcherknife

Tumbleweed & EarthDancer

ScubaRX' & Tali

Bugeyedriver & Oscar

DougI & Geneva

Meanderthall & Karen

jtrew

Three from ORCC

Disclaimer: This list is not an official list, we don't got none ! He, he, please let me know if I have overlooked any one.

The last time I talked to buffalo Bob, he and Butterknife had plans to make it, that would make seven Ollies !

Holey toledo ! I smell a record gathering in the making here ! Start the cameras to running and break out the champagne !

• Moderators

We all love Buffalo Bob. And, I think he probably got a big charge out of your comment earlier, as did I. So funny, tongue in cheek....

so often, I'm foot in mouth, so to speak.

Have a great time in Arkansas. Wish we could be there.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Some members of the ORCC, the Off Road Camping Club, will be at Lake Greeson. Here is a couple of pix of Alan & Chris's cool camping set up.

100_0377.jpg

>

100_0378.jpg

>

100_0382.jpg

>

Yup, with a set up like that, they can shore nuff' camp off road ! Note the nifty tube, with the yellow plugs in the ends, on the passenger's side of the expedition rack. It can store fly rods, sun room poles, ect.. We just gotta' do that for our trip to Colorado for the Summer of 09'. 8-)

• Moderators

Old jugs on the left. New Jugs on the right. Some of the old jugs are years old and are photo degraded badly. A close look shows fine cracks on the older ones. This fishing tackle is rated by the State game and Fish commission as unlimited class tackle.

100_0127.jpg

• Moderators

He,he, we wish ! Just rounding up a few things and getting ready. We did however, see our first Dogwood Tree blooming late yesterday afternoon. Many of the dogwood trees are well into the budding phase, but are not quite ready to bloom. The old timers here in the mountains say that when the dogwoods are blooming, the catfish are biteing. We are ready to go find out for ourselves !

• Moderators

Doug and Geneva,

We are sorry for your loss. It is very sad to lose a dear friend.

Sherry and Paul.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

If there's still room, Woodstock & Rascal would like to show up monday afternoon. They heard somethimg about "cats" and thought a good chase might be in order.

I, of course, will come along to set up camp for 'em and be their in-house chef and butler. :D

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

Here's some info on the regs concerning jugfishing in Arkansas. An anchored jug is considered to be a trotline, and falls under the same regulations; they only have to be checked once a day. Freefloating jugs must be 'attended' at all times during daylight hours; they may be left unattended from sunset to dawn. Only 20 freefloating jugs per person are allowed, with no regs concerning number or size of hooks on each jug. A limit is 10 catfish consisting of any combination of blues, channels, and/or flatheads.

Here's a link to the fishing guidebook put out by the Arkansas F&G:

http://www.agfc.com/data-facts-maps/pub ... ebook.aspx