APRIL 09' JUG FISHING CAMPOUT INVITATION

mountainborn

• Moderators

We have mentioned Geocaching in this thread several times. Here is a Google Earth look at the area with the Geocaching KML patch applied so it also shows the geocaches that are near Kirby Landing campground:

KirbyLandingGeocaches.jpg

Last year Tumblewed brought his GPS and found several of these. Be sure to bring your handheld GPS ! 8-)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Cabin fever runneth rampant !! And we know the cure. We just checked email and discovered that Gehri and Chuck also were ready to hit the road early !

They are working their way to Lake Greeson to meet up with the jug fishing crew. They will be posting photos and updating their blog shortly.

We are at the lake a few days early and have updated our blog with photos, so for a update and a look at the campsites, go to:

http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/

We have already talked to our Ranger friend about how the catch is going, more on that in the blog also. We are anxiously awaiting everyone's arrival at the campout !

I wonder who will be driving the fartherest to get here ? Meanderthal & Sheboss maybe ?

Please drive safely friends, we want to tell fish storys across the campfire & hear about your trip here.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Now, that's a smart, heads up travel plan ! Sometimes we will punch through a front to put the bad weather behind us. Then there are times when we will just den up on shore power and wifi to let the weather pass, especially if there is icy conditions.

We look forward to seeing you guys.

Oh, by the way, Gehri & Chuck are in Alabama denned up for a bit, but headed this way. We talked to them by cell phone for a few minutes last evening.

• Moderators

Things may be starting to get a wee bit wild here on the lake, already ! Betty broke out some of her hidden private stock. A rare thing indeed ! Here is a glimpse:

100_0143.jpg

Note that the bottle is a glass long neck. Now that is an important part of the swirling venturi effect when swigging. It enhances the salt induction into the peach essence. At this writing, she hasn't gone to phase two, yet, you know the one with the long neck coronas and lime slices !

• Moderators

At first we tried hideing the bottle in a can couzi, but finally hid in the screen tent to consume them. We have seen first hand the kind of redneck stampeeds that can happen when the peach sodas and peanuts are brought out in public ! We didn't want to be responsible for that kind of mayhem !

"It looks like 925 miles for us, but with the pig trails Geri likes to travel, they'll probably top that."

PIG TRAILS ????? :o Might be pig trails to some, but if you wanna see the real USA you gotta get off the interstates and travel the backroads of America! Chuck loves old cars, the older the better and we see them everywhere on the back roads, tucked into old sheds, parked near barns and sitting in front yards! Me? I love the quaint old homes that were built with love by the families who were gonna live in them! We just saw a real classic in the FL Panhandle, near Chipley on highway 234. Some might call 'em "pig trails" but I prefer to call them the scenic routes! :D We will be making a detour back to the Oliver factory, then on to Lake Greeson and eatin' some great catfish!!! YUM !!! Karen and Tom, see ya'll soon!

• Moderators

Three bait traps have been prepared and set out, complete with the secret bait fish attractant formula. Of course , no formula, however secret, can attract bait fish if therte aint' none. So as Betty did chores that she wanted us out of the way for, Dillon and I loaded three bait traps, secret formula and all, and went scouting for places to put them out.

Using our woodscraft skills, we did the logical thing, we let the professionals put us on the right course. The professionals, you know, the ones that make their living hunting for bait fish. The other wildlife that survives by locating and feeding on bait fish.

Our first trap was dropped as we idled up into the back waters of an inlet that was choked up with button willows. What drew our attention was a herron standing in shallow water, just outside of the brush, we startled him and he flew a wide circle out over the water so that he could easily return when we left. That meant that there was dinner a' waitin' there for him. We wanted him to share with us, so we slipped into the spot and dropped a trap, easing on quickly so he could get back to his business. Professionals are like that, even in the wild, they always return to the business at hand.

The next trap drop was assisted by one of the most profficient of the professionals, a bass. Now Mr. Bass usually can't hardly be seen, but, we are at the full moon phase and the pan fish are spawning. That means that the bass are locating and feeding on the roe of the new spawn. When it caught our eye, it was the dorsal finn of a bass that was cutting through the shallows as it ripped through a spawning or as the locals say, a bream bedding area. These newly hatched, tiny fish are hardly more than eyeballs attached to a tail that is so small it is hard to see. The bass will slash through the bedding area quickly gathering up all the hatchlings, or roe, that it can on each pass. There is little that the adult pan fish that is guarding the nest can do except make a feint of an attack to try to repulse the invader. After the spawn the larger female panfish needs to replenish her energy and leaves the nest and the roe in the nest, which will be guarded by a much smaller male of the same species, while she feeds. The roe from a new spawn are subject to the raids of other fish as are the new hatchlings.

Our third bait trap drop was assisted by the National Symbol. As we idled up into a inlet we saw a mature male Bald Eagle, Swoop down off of a limb of a large pine tree that was growing right by some shallows near the back of the inlet. The Eagle didn't try to catch a fish, but only came near the surface, then circled above as we approached. Sure enough, there in the shallows were the tell tale pie pan sized circles in the sandy soil on the lake bottom. We dropped our trap and retreated to the far side of the inlet, to the shadows of a tree to watch the show. After several failed attempts, the Eagle was successful and caught a small fish. Lifting it up and away, the Eagle flew to a large old pine that had been lightning struck and landed near by what may be a nest. We will watch that with care in the next few days.

Happy with the successful scouting trip, Dillon and I turned on the Marine radio to the Noaa Forecast for a few minutes, then switched over to a classic rock oldies station for the trip back to camp.

Was it a successful trip ? We will know when we run the traps this evening. But judging by what all we enjoyed in the outdoors, it couldn't have been a better scouting trip. 8-) Time to celebrate with a peach soda and a bag of peanuts !

100_0146.jpg

• Moderators

Larry,

Even with the couzie cover, I can still tell that's a Stewart's soda underneath. Beware! The 1924 gives it away. :D

One grocery store here carries Stewart's only during the winter/in season months. Other times of the year, it's necessary to go to the bookstore cafe and pay way tooooo much for a root beer or a key lime soda. Peach is the ultimate rarity here. Almost never see it.

Sherry

(The rest of the year, IBC is next best root beer. Their creme soda is top notch.)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Yup, my Ranger Buddy sure nuff knew what he was talkin' bout' ! It's a little early yet and the fishing is slow. Here is a short video look at the campsites from the water as we motor back in from gettin' skunked picking up the jugs: ( click the photo to activate the video )

th_100_0147.jpg

• Moderators

As is the case with most things associated with the wild, the animals know what's going on and we have to figure it out.

Our bait trap placement yesterday needed to be adjusted a bit to make them more productive. One was ok and we left it as it was, but the other two needed a slight adjustment. One needed to be moved a little and one needed to be set a little deeper.

That seems to be making a difference. By eleven this morning we have about twenty bait fish in the holding box. That's a big change from the six we trapped yesterday. Here is a look, click to start the video, sorry about the sun streaks and sparklies, incompetent redneck operator on the job:

th_100_0155.jpg

Well, Katy and I just can stand being a home while you folks are having all the fun. It might be a wet drive back on Sunday but we are headed your way come Friday. We need some of that relaxing, loafing and doin’ nothin’. If I can work in a nap amongst the inactivity it would suit me just fine. We are looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting some new ones.

See you folks after awhile,

Thomas…and Katy, too.

p.s. We don't need an agenda either other than the afore mentioned nap. :D

• Moderators

WoooHooo ! Way to go SPIFFY TEE ! We will really enjoy seein' yall' !! Now, I know that nappin' is a crucial part of any outdoors experience, so maybe we can line them recliners up under a shade tree !

Last years recliner line up event:

04-15-07_napin.jpg

• Moderators

Waiting on the photos, and wishing we were there, too. Looks beautiful on Lake Greeson.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

After casting the jugs just before dark, we gathered in a large circle of lawn chairs.

Sitting around the campfire tonight until well after dark, talking about campin' stuff, a roll call:

mountainborn & butcherknife

Meanderthal & Sheboss

Tumbleweed & Earthdancer

The ScubaRx's

The TKBaranch's

Al & Fran

Mike & Regina

Fred & family

Some left early, some stayed late, all had fun.

• Moderators

The bait fish catch has been 'spotty' at best. Last evening we cast only nine jugs. We made the cast right in the inlet off of Bear creek where we are camped. We caught two fish on the nine jugs. One Bass that we turned loose and one nice Oppelousas ( flat head ) Catfish.

• Moderators

Tom and Karen, the Meanderthal's stopped by the famious Interstate Barbeque in Memphis Tennessee and picked up a complete barbeque meal of pulled Pork, cole slaw, baked beans and all the trimmins'. They brought it to Lake Greeson. We really chowed down on that ! Here is a video shot just after the meal. every one is full and has a nap on their mind:

th_100_0159.jpg

• Moderators

Did Dillon eat the bbq, too? Looks like he's ready for a nap!

Can't tell you how much we wish we were there with you. Looks like an amazing, fun gathering.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thomas & Katy Did Dutch oven Cookin' Saturday afternoon, that was absolutely sooo fine ! Then, after dark around the camp fire Saturday night, Katy held a small LED Flashlight while Thomas played the Guitar and sang. Thomas composed a song about one of our Oliver Forums Members. Give a listen and see if you can figure out who he is a' talkin' bout'. The video is in natural light and pretty dark, but the audio can de heard ok. Click the photo to start the video:

th_100_0160.jpg

Sounds like y'all are having an awesome time at the Jug Oliver-a-Thon.

Here on the west coast, we've been visiting with the gang at bugz's place in Lake Havasu. We're having an awesome time with our own little Oliver gathering this weekend. We even took our Jeeps out on the trails today for quite an adventure to a remote Desert Bar. We're however not fishing with jugs.. instead, we ordered out for pizza.

We're thinking of you all and wishing our convergences could be closer. Continue to have an awesome time!

- Cherie

• Moderators

Thanks Cherie, we have all been following your adventures as I read the latest twit to everybody ! You guys continue to have fun and maybe we'll see you guys some time soon. The whole gang says HI !