Dexter axle, grease zerks, and non-Euclidian Geometry

nrvale0

I installed 45 and 90 degree zerks all over the Dexter axle today and, let me tell you, what a difference! Mostly...

There's a zerk on the top of the axle mounting assembly -- I think that might be the equalizer -- which through no bending of flexible grease gun hose, permutation of coupler attachment, cursing, and warping of space-time was I able to access. It looks like they only way to get access to that zerk is to crawl under the trailer and come at it from that angle but the campsite was infested with these guys:

538890d1272255494-goat-head-thorns-deali

Curious if anyone has come up with a clever method for getting to those zerks without taking off wheels or crawling around under the trailer.

thx

Well you’ve got me wondering now. Back your rear axle up on something-a leveling wedge or a stack of blocks, anything to raise that back axle up. The equalizer should rotate as shown in the picture below. Then feel for the zerk as shown and see if it is easier to access.  If it works then do the same to the front axle to make the other zerk accessible. 

Edit: Actually, raising and lowering the front end with the jack might produce the same effect.

Let me know how this works.

443EA987-009F-4196-998B-B516D507F304.jpeg

Edited by Townesw
Added another thought

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Also, I have this coupling on all of my grease guns. 

53D6B7FD-6850-4FB3-BCAA-2C0595645FD2.jpeg

36F52580-F446-4E2A-A267-D8E3648FD4B2.jpeg

A long hose helps also. I sometimes use both hands to get the coupling on a zerk and then have my wife squeeze the grease gun handle. 

• Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

nrvale0,

When I installed my EZ Flex system on a 2015 Ollie ( EZ Flex was not standard equipment at that time), pointed the pin/grease fittings outward with the idea of not crawling under Ollie to grease.  The two grease fittings on both equalizers are not always easy for "me" to get the grease gun hose fitting squarely seated resulting in a few extra pumps of wasted grease during each EZ Flex lube. 

Pins can be reversed and pointed outward during repair/inspection.

Hope this helps.

Edited by rideandfly

Bill #75 LE2

455B0A6A-71AD-4535-925A-5D84384AB31E.thumb.png.c0b2aaa458e6aab960800d4035d3dba1.png

I bought one of these decades ago from Napa and I am sure it was not overly expensive at that time. I have it on a pneumatic (one hand operation “KaCHICK!”) high quality gun with a flex hose, and with the swivel action I can get on just about any fitting, as long as it isn’t obstructed. The locking feature is the key, many swiveling couplings will flop around as you try to engage them. This unit will go from straight ahead to angled back on itself. Very solid action, no leakage.

I don’t know of a LOCKING alternative that doesn’t cost so much, maybe a ranch or farm supply like North 40 or a bearing supply house? The parent company is SKF, the bearing manufacturer...

I had Oliver install all the bolt heads facing in, so that they are more easily accessible, but there is no escaping crawling on the ground.... for sand spurs I suggest  a very large piece of cardboard.

Life is too short to waste tears over poor quality tools. The vast majority of cheap Chinese grease guns are garbage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

carnivore, you need to consider environmental conditions, unless you just want to do it as recommended. If all your towing is on smooth dry roads you can double that number. If you are often in torrential rain, or rutted dust and mud, then you should do it more frequently. 3000 miles is a good average but it isn’t written in stone.

Also, the type of grease you use can affect this, you don’t want to use a type that will wash out easily if you tow in the wet. I just use regular automotive chassis grease at 3000 mile intervals, but while I rarely tow on soaked roads, I do drive on dusty ones.

Consider some rubber flaps across the front of the subframe, they will stop that high velocity water rooster tail from blasting hard into your suspension bushings.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hey, folks.

Thanks for the ideas. Particularly on raising the front axle. Don't know why I didn't think about that at the time time except that I was probably distracted thinking about ways to NOT lay on the ground due to those goat's head thorns. 😉

I have a LocknLube coupler but it doesn't have a 90deg on it. The LnL actually works against me in trying to get to that top zerk because it extends the length of what is non-flexible at the end of the flexible hose. Not sure if the 90 is worth the $60 but if I can't find another option...

I'll be rolling again tomorrow so I'm going to try to stop on some asphalt and use the levelling blocks to see if that makes up the difference. Will let you know.

As to greasing intervals, yes, the Oliver folks said 3k miles. I'm a bit over on that equalizer zerk due to not noticing it on my previous go-around.

1 hour ago, nrvale0 said:

Oh, also, @rideandfly, at least on my '19 the zerks are facing outwards. I replaced them all with 45s and 90s in addition to them facing out.

Sounds like you should have an easy time lubing the EZ Flex system. 

Going to order a new standard Alemite narrow hose coupler for the grease gun today. Mine is worn out after many years of use. My Tundra tow vehicle  has 5 drive line grease fittings, older Tundras have more and new Tundras have none from what I've been reading. One of the Tundra's universals has limited space and prefer to use the small hose coupler for lubing.

May need to buy a locking hose coupler for the equalizer grease fittings, will see how the new coupler works first.

When on the road with Ollie, sometimes pass the recommended lube interval. Keep a grease gun in a small plastic tool box and lube on the road without getting under Ollie. When it gets hot grease will sometimes drip out of the grease gun, the box with paper towels in the bottom keeps it from making a mess. Heading to Virginia next week to pick up a used utility trailer, packing the grease gun box along with other tools just in case problems are found.

i-N6BhZrN-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 2

Bill #75 LE2

Grease fluid leaking out of gun.... this is a normal situation, one that I hate, and a little leakage is nothing to worry about, but if there is a lot, you need to toss the grease and install a fresh new tube. The liquid oils tend to naturally and gradually separate out from the wax carrier; if you continue to lube with that leaky tube, you are getting more wax and less actual lubricant.

With wheel bearings it doesn't really matter of the oils separate out since they are trapped inside the hub and will mix in the next time the wheel starts turning. For stationary suspension parts with no seals, oil separation is more worrisome... I think that is one reason for the recommended 3000 mile interval.

Here is a long technical article, at the bottom is excellent info on the best way to store grease. High temperature, heat fluctuations and altitude changes are not recommended ;( Which makes it hard to carry in your trailer or TV...

Cartridge tubes of grease should be stored upright at all times. If a cartridge tube is left in a grease gun, the grease gun should be depressurized, wiped with a clean cloth to remove any contaminants and stored in a horizontal position inside a clean, cool, dry area to keep the oil from bleeding out of the grease.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3

Started searching for a "no leak" manual grease gun during this discussion.  Found one manufacturer so far, but there are probably more. This manufacturer has special loaded grease cartridges or empty cartridges available for use with your selection of grease.

https://advancedenginetech.com/product/lube-shuttle-hobby_greasing_package/

https://tractortimewithtim.com/2018/08/17/lube-shuttle/

Will continue looking for different manufacturers, time to replace my old grease gun anyway!

• Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

I have been thinking about trying that Lube Shuttle grease system for a while, but I have severe doubts about availability of refill tubes, and a limited assortment of grease types. It is a very new system here in the USA and you can't just drop in to any auto parts store for a new tube.... if you get one, please give us a full report.

John Davies

Spokane WA

4 hours ago, Townesw said:

I’ve got 2 of these Alemite guns with hoses. They have a pressure release valve. Will still get a drip from them occasionally but not like the Lincoln or Lubrimatic I have or have had. 
https://www.skf.com/alemite/products/grease-guns/professional/pistol-grip-gun/index.html

What do you mean by pressure relief valve? That is not the same as an air bleeder valve, which just gets rid of the trapped air pocket. The only way I know to take pressure off the grease is to pull back and lock the spring plunger. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane ZWA

I'm going to order a "Lube Shuttle Hobby Greasing package" today and start testing. We have Ollie, 2 utility trailers, motorcycle trailer, and Ollie's TV with U joints to grease & maintain. Going with the standard narrow coupler and not a locking coupler to start with. Have one tough to get to universal joint grease fitting that's hard to get to with a locking coupler.

https://advancedenginetech.com/product/lube-shuttle-hobby_greasing_package/

Just got off the telephone with AET Systems that sells "Lube Shuttle" grease guns and grease in the US.

They have worked out an agreement with ACE hardware so Lube Shuttle products can be purchased starting 1st quarter of 2020 or no later than 2nd quarter of 2020. They're also talking with Tractor Supply and Home Depot, but cannot say if an agreement has been reached yet.

Something different from what we're accustomed to in the US, their grease coupling is metric M10X1 thread. Grease couplings in the US are 1/8NPT thread. If you replace the coupling, M10X1 threaded coupling will be needed.

Their G 200 EP grease (two tubes included with package) in the "Hobby Greasing Package" meets NLGI 2 spec. Dexter uses Lithoplex Red MP #2, also meets NLGI 2 spec.

Grease Dexter uses:

https://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10198.pdf

Lube Shuttle G 200 EP grease:

https://advancedenginetech.com/product/airtec-g200-grease/

Here's an informative AET video:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bill #75 LE2

So, just to close the loop on this one...

Was able to get to the zerks on top of the axle by crawling underneath the next time I was on asphalt. Definitely a lot easier than trying to get to those zerks with the wheels in place and crouching.

As to non-leaking grease guns...I just double seal in ZipLocs and put a paper towel over the coupler and attach with a rubber band.

Edited by nrvale0

• 1 year later...

I don't know much about zerks but I'd like to replace the zerks that are standard with 90 degree ones that would be easier to access with the wheels on.  Does anyone have a link to the right size so I get the correct one?

28 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

I don't know much about zerks but I'd like to replace the zerks that are standard with 90 degree ones that would be easier to access with the wheels on.  Does anyone have a link to the right size so I get the correct one?

I'll check and see if I have any of the packaging from when I picked mine up. I ended up just taking one into the local NAPA and eye-balling it.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I did the same with taking one into NAPA - no issues at all.  While you're at it, buy a couple of extras just in case one of them gets plugged.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"