Yamaha powered Generator at Costco

chuckstovall

You may have seen my post seeking info on electrical input regarding the new to me Ollie I'm picking up before Thanksgiving.  Yesterday at Costco, I saw this https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-1600w-running--2000w-peak-gasoline-powered-inverter-generator.product.100343958.html in store.

Looks to me to be a possibility.   Anyone have one?  Pro's and con's???   At $449 and with Costco's customer service and return policy, I'm thinking about it.

With very little knowledge, I'd say it looks like Yamaha's version of the well-regarded Honda 2000i?

Edited by chuckstovall

Oops, that inverter has a Yamaha engine but in spite of being "Yamaha Blue", it is not manufactured by Yamaha. I know nothing about it, but I would do a lot of research about customer support, parts, warranty, etc, before buying. An actual genuine Yamaha generator is right up there with Honda in terms of customer support, build quality and features.

Take a look at the one star reviews there.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

23 minutes ago, chuckstovall said:

Reviews look good on Costco's site.  But I'll need to do more research to know if it's a good deal.  

Always read the one star ones, they will tell the story about customer support when the device stops working.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

It's a yamaha motor, not a yamaha generator. That said, my sister has one. Bought it on sale. She and her husband have had it a year or so, and they're happy. Quite quiet.

Inverter technology. It does not run her 13.5 btu ac, but her ac does not have an easy start.

Whatever you buy, use nonethanol fuel, and leave nothing in the genset tank to "varnish" over the winter. We use the genset so little that the price difference for nonethanol is not a big deal. 

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Her " peace of mind" was also the Costco return policy. Btw

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

It's a yamaha motor, not a yamaha generator. That said, my sister has one. Bought it on sale. She and her husband have had it a year or so, and they're happy. Quite quiet.

Inverter technology. It does not run her 13.5 btu ac, but her ac does not have an easy start.

Whatever you buy, use nonethanol fuel, and leave nothing in the genset tank to "varnish" over the winter. We use the genset so little that the price difference for nonethanol is not a big deal. 

Sherry

Do you (or anyone else for that matter, know if it will run the 13.5 A/C with easy start?  Thanks much for your input.

• Moderators

I don't know. We don't have an easy start either, as we have only used the ac a few times in twelve years. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4