Cabinet Lighting

DCKiefer

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have trouble seeing in the cabinets. The black insulated coating and black shelf mat only adds to light from the rest of the cabin from just disappearing into the cabinets. On solution was to keep a small flash light hand, but this can be frustrating when you need two hands.

Solution, inter cabinet lighting. Pictures may be blurry, wanted to illustrate the illumination.

I found some slim LED light at auto zone, the were actually in the driving light section, don't think they would really work for that purpose. I mount five of them with double stick tape to the ceiling in the overhead cabinets. The light can be seen in the upper right of this picture.

Mounted a switch next to the main panel near the door. Used a switch with a light so we don't forget they ar on.

Probably could do the whole project a bit cheaper. This one cost about $80. Lights, wire and switch, most being the lights.

Another great idea :idea: ! Had been thinking of the same problem but considering differant solution...ropelights. Available in 18 foot string. But being electrically challenged :? , wasn't too sure how to hookup. Hadn't considered the entry panel!!!! Pure genius :o !!

Regards n keep the cool ideas coming!!! Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

Thanks for the great idea. The LEDs make it boondocking friendly, too.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Great idea! I've been thinking about adding an LED ropelight myself, but those 'driving lights' are probably much brighter. One thing to consider...you could also switch the overhead cabinet lights from one the two spare switches near the door, an idea that Robert shared with me when we picked up our Oliver.

Herm

• 1 month later...

In looking at the latest literature on Oliver's website, it looks like overhead cabinet lighting is now a factory option! Before I start reinventing the wheel, I'll probably call the factory and see what they're using. I'm sure their solution is better than anything that I'd cobble together in a weekend.

Herm

Sorry guys...I think I jumped the gun on this one. When I first read option list, I didn't realize that the "LED overhead lighting package" is referring to the lamp upgrade for the puck-style lights. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, however, until they add an overhead CABINET lighting package to the option list.

So, I guess that means I WILL be cobbling together a cabinet lighting solution sometime this spring...

Herm

• Moderators

Cherie, I don't use the "cutting board" area for much but a shelf or resting area, but I do use a small plastic cutting board placed across the kitchen sink for prep. That helps, as this is a very well lit area. Sometimes I feel lazy, and sit down and use the small table as a work surface... another well lit area.

I do think that the overall general lighting of our trailer could be improved with an overhead light forward of the fan, in addition to the work area lighting. That would also light up the "cutting board" area. (I use the quotes since in our trailer, at least, the cutting board has a finish, and therefore is not really a cutting board.)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Cherie, I can only assume that this cutting board area is a little more useful for you since you opted to delete the microwave. And for those kind of tasks, I can certainly understand your wishing for more light. For the rest of us, it really doesn't have much practical value as a food prep area, especially if you want to actually use the microwave. So for me, the lighting in this particular area is more or less a non-issue.

Herm

Well.. the cutting board area (and I agree.. I'd never actually use it as a cutting board and destroy the finish and look of it) really isn't an ideal food prep area (even with the microwave out of the way), but it's just about all we've got. We do have a dish drainer with a lid in the sink that can be additional surface area - but it's not always functional for a stable spot for which I feel comfortable using a knife on. I can sometimes use the double dinette area, but usually there is a Chris sitting there with a computer. :)

I usually end up with some items laying on the bed while I'm cooking.

The kitchen area definitely wasn't designed with full time use in mind and ease of actually cooking regularly there. But we manage anyway even if it is frustrating at times to work in such limited space.

An overhead light anywhere forward of the fan would be fabulous. It'd help not only with food prep, but also with lots of other tasks.

- Cherie

I have thought the same thing when doing things in the middle of the trailer. The ceiling and roof appear solid in the middle so running a wire doesn't seem possible. I thought of finding some kind of small light fixture I could mount up on the cabinet, then aim the light to the ceiling, bouncing the light off of the ceiling. Not sure how welll this would work, but it's the start of an idea.

:D OK, we did it. We put a 3 pivotable light, 4 LED each, 6 AA battery powered in front of the Fantastic Fan. It lights up the "cutting board" area well and at my 6' 1" height, I don't bump it. http://www.intellitecproducts.com .It's up with "Extreme Velcro", the grey stuff and we'll keep ya'll posted on whether it stays where it was put, but the lighting is very nice as it can be adjusted somewhat. It cud also be screw mounted or riveted but parrallel the vent.

Also put the 3 LED $1.oo puck lights in 5 of the overheads cabinets...sweet. Also put 2 of the old style 4AA batt closet lights in the big back compartment. Most of the batteries are rechargeable. Will try to get pix posted soon.

8-) n :)

• Moderators

Great idea, Chuck. I'm sure that really adds a lot to the general lighting of the Oliver, without draining the battery system. Do the lights look as nice in real life as they do in the website photos?

And, thanks for the link. I like the wall sconces, too..... hmmm

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hi Ya'll !

Got 'em at Camping World, about $16-17.oo but saw almost the same at Wally World but the swivel lights are a little differant. Originally got these for Geris Casita but when Cheri asked, inquizative :idea: minds thought: Ahhh Haaaaa! Work great and give a lot more focusable light! Will post pix when I can find my little 2.3 megapixel cam as Geris megamegapixel Nikon pix are too big to post.....

8-)

• 3 weeks later...

Like Cherie, I had been craving more light over the cutting board area. We had considered several varieties of stick ups but none seemed bright enough. Earlier, Chuck posted some info about these lights with a website. Finally I am catching up with some photos. These lights have a bright and dim mode, all 3 are adjustable seperately to shine on different areas. They take 4 AAA batteries and we used an industrial strength velcro to attach to the ceiling. These lights are so bright that when we go back to Camping World, we are buying one as a reading light!

I don't own an Oliver, but am interested in them.

On the in-cabinet lighting: the need for lighting would be reduced, and any installed lighting would work much better, if the inside surfaces of the storage area were painted white. I am surprised no one has done this or suggested it. Maybe there is a reason?

The cabinets are made up of the none-seen sides of the hull - which are coated with the insulation materials. I would imagine that painting that white could be difficult, add unnecessary weight and/or be difficult to keep from flaking off. Just my intuition, I don't know if that's actually the case or a reason why Oliver hadn't thought of making them white instead. In concept, it's a great idea!

- Cherie

• Moderators

Deranged Hermit,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the answers to your questions here... Oliver builds a great little trailer. If you don't, ask away. We'll answer as best as we can.

Cherie,

I suspect you're correct... the most common color for the best insulation systems these days seems to be black.

In our fiberglass sailboat, now 30 some years old, we've hassled with keeping the white vinyl liners glued to the inside of the cabinets and the aft "wall" clean from scuffs and marks, for all these many years. With the same issues of curved hulls and oddly shaped spaces, I see the black, sprayed on interior of the Oliver cabinets as sort of a plus. I can still see and clean the dirt, but the scuffs don't show so much. And, the vinyl liners of the boat separate and peel over time, unlike the sprayed on insulation used by Oliver. We're replacing all of the liners on the boat this year... kind of a birthday present for our old, but much loved boat.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Deranged Hermit,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the answers to your questions here... Oliver builds a great little trailer. If you don't, ask away. We'll answer as best as we can.

Cherie,

I suspect you're correct... the most common color for the best insulation systems these days seems to be black.

Thanks for the welcome, Sherry. I do have a couple of "overview" questions - I'll start a new topic for those.

• 1 year later...

I took the "cutting board" concept literally and made this to replace the original wood (maple?) using butcher-block pine from Home Depot finished with walnut oil.

4723198983_cc121c435c.jpg

The board hangs out about 5 inches beyond the cabinet edge, giving me a useful amount of work space. I've bumped into it a couple of times when the bathroom door is open, but the larger size hasn't been a problem other than that. It's easy to make a smaller one to replace it if it becomes an issue.

The overhead spot light is a 1W LED module from Deal Extreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11263

The light pattern is actually a bit too tight to cover the whole board, two of them would be better, but it puts a lot of light where you need it for very little power. Right now it's just stuck on with foam mounting tape, I haven't decided on a final mounting method yet. Drilling a hole through the fiberglass ceiling and inserting the fixture through the hole from behind might work, but that's a bit more destructive than I'm willing to go just yet.