Spare parts

MarkC

Has anyone created a list of spare parts one should have on hand.  I've read where people carry fuses, wheel bearings, and hot water heater rod.  Everyone has their own level of being prepared. I'm interested if someone wants to share experiences where they wished they had a certain part when camping.  I'm thinking...spare plumbing hose, plumbing fittings, filters, wiring and electrical stuff, etc. Thanks!

• Like 1

There is a good discussion of fuses in this thread

I had a plumbing line break on a trip, and I posted recommended parts and tools that I wish I had purchased in advance in this thread

Edited by DavidS
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I consider myself pretty handy and can do most repairs if needed, or repair to the point where it will last till I get the correct parts to repair it back to proper working condition. I carry very few extra parts with me, but do carry things like fuses, hose champs, duct tape, nylon ties, things to make temporary repairs, not replacement parts. If I have to drive into a Walmart, or a hardware store for parts, etc. then it's just the way I would do things. I personally would rather carry the tools needed for repairs, as having the correct tool for the job is 95% of getting it done correctly.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

SharkBite fittings are very cool but they are a VERY costly method of repair. There are times when one can be a life saver, and the ability to release the grip and pull out the pipe can be useful. But I would not trust a fitting that has been reused to not leak.

I much prefer using regular crimp rings and Pex fittings. The old school copper crimp rings are a royal PITA, but the SharkBite stainless ones are wonderful, but OTH you need their ratcheting crimper to install them. To remove one, you just grab the crimped part with vise grips and twist it. The copper ones have to be cut off! You can buy the tool for the cost of a handful of push SB fittings; the regular brass PEX couplers, elbows etc are cheap. The stainless clamps are only 50 cents each.

This tool will do everything from 3/8” all the way up to 1”, so it works nicely for home repairs too, like your irrigation system..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-3-Handle-3-8-in-to-1-in-PEX-Clamp-Tool/1000224581

As an older gentleman I have a hard time crimping the 1” rings due to hand and arm strength. Slipping a couple of pieces of hollow pipe over the handles gets the job done easily.

John Davies

Spokane WA

7DE6F908-0D28-42C0-A380-9D5236DCCB71.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We keep  some fuses and switches. And a bearing kit. A few other bits and pieces.

Other than that, my spare parts kit includes my credit card, cell phone, and  amazon prime. And towing insurance card, which I  have not used, thankfully,  in twelve years .

Sherry 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I think that the only major thing that I've bought specifically to keep as a spare is a water pump.  But apart from that, I've collected enough bits from modifications that I think I could fix or find a workaround for most anything minor - some wiring, wiring connectors; a length of PEX tubing and various elbows, tees, etc.; misc. screws, bolts and cotter pins; things like that.

I also carry some repair items like silicone tape, butyl tape, gorilla tape, a screen repair kit, zip ties, wire, velcro strips, etc.