Washing, Polishing, and Waxing

MarkC

52 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

I do it all by hand using McGuire's.  Wax on wax off!!! 

So no buffer, compound, polishing? Just wash, then wax by hand?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

Just now, jordanv said:

Where do you inspect to prevent leaks. Is this just making sure the window seals weep holes are clear?

I would think inspecting any caulking also - particularly in spots like around the Oliver logo'd light on the rear. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

I would think inspecting any caulking also - particularly in spots like around the Oliver logo'd light on the rear. 

That 3rd light, beyond dirty/plugged weepholes, is the biggest culprit , ever .

Yes, inspect caulking, but most types of caulking is good for several to many years. Butyl is good for longer, but I seem to be in the minority on that love affair with synthetic butyl. 

Put the rv eze gutters on. Clean the weepholes. Watch the 3rd light 

Wax on/wax off, with your choice of products. 

We've probably had 10" of rain in western North Carolina this season.  My only problem was a heavily clogged weep in one window track. Easily solved .

I'll never make light if the situation,  as my husband knows. My spot on the bed is the back, three windows, and the 3rd tail light. I'm usually the one who "knows" if we're have a small leak. That's  a rarity, and in the past, always a weephole, or that 3rd tail light 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

48 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

or that 3rd tail light 

I’m not sure which light this means… sorry! Do you happen to have a photo?

Also, water gets in from a tail light?!

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, jordanv said:

I’m not sure which light this means… sorry! Do you happen to have a photo?

Also, water gets in from a tail light?!

I call out the third tail light. Others call it the Oliver light, rear, over the other lights

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Jordan,  I recently had R-Villa ceramic coated.  The work was done locally by an auto detailer / son of a friend.  He normally works only on cars and trucks, but did the Ollie as a favor to us.  The ceramic finish cost $1,400.  The cost to buff it first was $600.  Total = $2,000.  I must say, his work was spectacular.  I thought the Oliver had a great finish right from the factory; it was amazing how much better it looked after this treatment!

We just got back from a trip from Illinois to Hohenwald, Laura, Ms, and then back home to IL; the Ollie was really dirty from nearly constant rain.  It was amazing how easy it was to wash and especially how the bugs did not stick to the front!

Some may say that is a lot of $$$.  To me it was well worth it.  At age 70, I am not interested in climbing on the roof, making it MORE SLIPPERY, and then trying to get down without injury.

• Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

One of these warehouse roll around ladders makes the inspection, rooftop maintenance and wash and wax job much less miserable. I was going to say it makes the job enjoyable but that would be a stretch. 

91F568CD-D0F8-434E-A913-7B83D07830BF.thumb.jpeg.6ff02d43aa12fc267dd3a673165ca4d1.jpeg

• Like 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators
7 hours ago, IL_Travelers said:

Some may say that is a lot of $$$.  To me it was well worth it.  At age 70, I am not interested in climbing on the roof, making it MORE SLIPPERY, and then trying to get down without injury.

As I get close to 70 this is sounding good to me.  Washing and waxing is the maintenance I don’t like to do!

4 minutes ago, Townesw said:

One of these warehouse roll around ladders makes the inspection and wash and wax job much less miserable. I was going to say it makes the job enjoyable but that would be a stretch. 

I’ve looked at buying some portable scaffolding.  Right now I climb the ladder, clean, climb down, move the ladder, start again.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS