New Direction: Conqueror UEV 490 Extreme

donthompson

I sold my Elite II after almost 4 years of great experiences camping in my Oliver. Many of you know that I was close to replacing it with a ZoneRV EXP-12.  I got cold feet.  Buying a camper from an Australian company with no presence in the U.S. was just too risky.  So, last week, after much research, i drove to Ohio and spent a day with David Bates, a mechanical engineer who worked for years for Honda.  He's the U.S. distributor for Conqueror, a South African off-road camper.  I spec'd and purchased a UEV 490 Extreme Platinum.  It will arrive in Ohio this month and I'll pick it up in January and then head for Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, etc. for it's inaugural trip.  It's not a camper that most Oliver owners would want to own, but I really want to spend more time on gravel and more primitive routes.  I'm adapting my Touareg with skid plates, new wheels and all-terrain tires, etc.  Purchased the new Garmin Overlander and Garmin's inReach Mini to help with back country navigation and communication.  I hope to continue to enjoy my Oliver friends and can't wait to run into some of you while traveling towards my off-road destinations.  Here's a Youtube video that David made relating to the 490.  There have been a few changes since he made the video, but you'll get the idea.  

Edited by donthompson

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Wow, pretty sweet Don. We have been playing with Ollie since we got home . Terry has been working hard to get power and water back out in out pasture where we had it before.  The solar works wonderful. My oldest son (who's a fix it man like his daddy) was lusting over the batteries you installed. I think Terry and him talked batteries for over 2 hours. I hope your travel dreams come true.  Maybe we shall meet again somewhere in the good ole U.S.A.  (Cause this old girl ain't ever leaving North America) Mary R.

12 minutes ago, MaryRn said:

Wow, pretty sweet Don. We have been playing with Ollie since we got home . Terry has been working hard to get power and water back out in out pasture where we had it before.  The solar works wonderful. My oldest son (who's a fix it man like his daddy) was lusting over the batteries you installed. I think Terry and him talked batteries for over 2 hours. I hope your travel dreams come true.  Maybe we shall meet again somewhere in the good ole U.S.A.  (Cause this old girl ain't ever leaving North America) Mary R.

Mary, maybe you and Terry should head to Big Bend in March.  Your Ollie knows the way--it's been there twice!  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8870.jpg

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Don, that’s quite a trailer!  It’s got some nice features, like a parking brake which seems like all trailers should have.  I’m sure you’ll be able to explore much more with the off road capabilities.  Hope to see it in person soon.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Cool those are super strong and well built. It comes with a cabin pressurization system standard - WOW, I was wondering about dust ingress... Are you OK with the cargo capacity? With full water and both jerry cans full (love those!) it will take away almost 400 pounds. Though with your engine you probably don't need extra fuel. Maybe extra water....

Untitled.thumb.png.7b2db8ab67653bd34f2ca744788f10d7.png

Do you have any idea about tongue weight? 

Are you OK with all that canvas when the strong desert winds blow?

What tires are you getting for the Touareg? You can get Cooper ST Maxx as options on the trailer, those would also be a great choice for the trucklet. They are uber strong and extremely puncture resistant, though rather heavy. They would sure look great together.

Be sure to post lots of pics, before you say goodbye forever.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Congratulations on finding your dream trailer for your kind of "outback" camping .

Also, glad you are not in Australia looking around right now. The wildfires are crazy dangerous.  And it's only spring. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50365131

I'm worried for friends down under. It's going to be a tough summer in Oz.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I can understand camping with a trailer like the UEV-490 and taking on the outback, but what I don't understand is doing it with a Touareg and making it an offroad vehicle. OK, I looked up the Touareg and from what I could find it can be a capable offroad vehicle if properly equipped, so looks like you are setting it up right. Have fun on your new adventure. 

trainman 

Edited by Trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I actually looked at the Conqueror's several times.  They have been displayed at the Harrisburg, PA Outdoor show in the past.

I love their capabilities but getting the wife on-board (literally) was not possible.  Not her cup of tea.  It's more suited for my friends and I when we go hunting according to her.  She's right of course.  Have fun.

Edited by hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I appreciate the insightful comments and questions—just what I’ve come to expect from knowledgeable Oliver owners.  I’ve been working hard trying to find the right components to make the Touareg an adequate partner for this 490 and I’ve given up.  Two things can’t be fixed in any reasonable way:  1) 7.9” of ground clearance which is inadequate; and 2) the difficulty of finding a place to carry a full-size spare.  So, I’ve been driving pickups!  After driving all the full-size pickups that can be optioned for off-road use, I’m about ready to buy a Ram Rebel.  I haven’t decided on the engine—I’ll buy one with the V-8 or the new 3.0L Eco-Diesel.  Can’t decide if I want to spend the extra money for the diesel.  I can save a lot of $$ if I buy a new 2019 and the diesel is only available in the 2020 model.  

John identified the trade-offs I have to make to have the off-road capabilities that the Conqueror offers.  I can’t load it up with gear, etc. because of the 1,100 lbs. difference between the dry weight and the GVWR.  If I have a full fresh water tank and fill the two Jerry cans with water, I’ll add just under 370 lbs.  That leaves approx. 730 lbs. of capacity.  I think I’ll add the air bag suspension to the Ram Rebel, and I’ll put the heavy stuff (compressor, tools, etc.) in the truck and keep the load in the camper pretty light.  My Ollie usually weighed 5200-5400 lbs. when I towed with a full fresh water tank, so I’m pretty sure I can keep the total load in the Conqueror below 1,000 lbs.

I asked David about the tongue weight but failed to write it down.  I remember that it was less than the Ollie.  I think around 450 lbs.  John, there is a lot of canvas, isn’t there?  That’s another are where there’s a real compromise.  However, the Conqueror 490 is the only off-road camper I found that I liked that actually had a living space enclosed without canvas.  When I stop for the night on my way to a destination, I don’t have to deploy any canvas.  I can sleep on the bed that doubles as the dining area without raising the roof—sort of a stealth mode.  I’ll carry an electric tea kettle and make pour-over coffee inside and then get on the road again.  When I find a place I want to camp for more than a night, I’ll have a lot of options.  The newest model has a roof that raises straight up and not at an angle (think wedge shape) and there are long rectangular windows on each side.  If I use the main bed, I can limit the canvas to the rain fly over the bed.  Next option is to deploy the Bundutek awning.  It is really pretty simple to deploy—I’ll eventually be able to do it in 5-10 minutes.  Then I have two other options—deploying the standard awning on either or both sides with or without sidewalls.  

I should have plenty of power when off-grid.  I’ll have 245 watts of solar panels on the roof and a 160 watt portable panel (one that is much lighter than the Zamp portable I had with the Ollie) and 2 100ah lithium batteries.  He typically installs a 1000 watt inverter but I added a 2000 watt inverter.  David recommended the propane furnace they supply rather than the diesel heater.  He said the diesel heater is noisy and requires a lot of maintenance.  I chose not to add air conditioning.  I rarely used the A/C in the Ollie and didn’t like it when I did—the noise drove me crazy and I couldn’t sleep with it running.

I plan to pick the Conqueror up in January and leave for Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in February.  Hope I run into an Ollie or two en route or in one of the parks.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Don, the Rebel should be a good match.  We’re looking at the 2020 Rebel as well.  The Ram Box and split tailgate options are a must for me.  It gets tool boxes out of the bed and puts tools in an easily accessible spot.  The new tailgate works even when hitched and makes reaching for items in the bed easier.  I’ve played around with it at my dealer and like it.  If the 2020 Power Wagon can be optioned with the split tailgate I’ll probably go with the bigger truck.  Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Don Before you commit to a Rebel, look at and be sure to drive a 2019 Power Wagon. It has the refreshed interior which is VERY nice, the new 8 speed which really wakes it up and improves mpgs, and for the kind of desert exploring you want to do, in combination with towing, it is undoubtedly  a much MUCH better choice than the light duty truck. Add rear airbags in the future for load leveling if that is needed, and that is it besides that stellar PW package. There is a trailer tech package that would be a plus, but not IMHO mandatory. The extra exterior cameras would be helpful when creeping offroad.

The payload is low but you get all the heavy offroady stuff standard, including 33” tires, lockers, solid axles, swaybar disconnects and winch, so you don’t have to subtract the weight of any aftermarket mods. You have the payload of a half ton but with bullet proof heavy duty drivetrain.

Dillon Ram near Boise has the best prices anywhere. The 2019s are still being heavily discounted. You can find one for $12k off MSRP. Fly in and drive one home.

A Rebel is cool. A Power Wagon is special. PW owners are faithful and love their trucks. Almost as much as Land Cruiser owners. BTW, have you ever driven a 200? You should. A stock one would need to have a few mods, the special 2020 Heritage Edition is ready for the desert right off the showroom floor, it has All Terrains, no third row or side steps, and a Yakima cargo basket. My only complaint about a full sized pickup is that it just won’t fit on many of the forest roads I explore. For wide open desert it would not be a major issue.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

This one has all the good stuff. However I personally would choose one with cloth seats, no sunroof or nav, and NO Ram Boxes.  The tire track graphics can be deleted or removed at delivery, but on the dark colored trucks they look cool IMHO ... not so much on a white truck ;(

https://www.dennisdillon.com/inventory/new-2019-ram-2500-power-wagon-4wd-crew-cab-pickup-3c6tr5ej3kg648021

Rebel vs PW: .... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM7MOyjC00

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

Well, I wavered on the Ram Rebel.  I love the truck and John, you’re right, the Power Wagon is even more capable.  But I’ve talked to a number of people who have owned Ram trucks and I’m concerned about dependability.  So, I’m leaning toward the Toyota Tundra.  I know it’s an old design.  The dependability is really important to me.  I haven’t made a final decision, but I think that’s where I’ll end up. I drove one about 100 miles today just to see how I felt about it with more time behind the wheel.  I felt better about it when I finished the drive.  I’m looking to add an A.R.E. TW Classic topper with spray-on full protective coating and A.R.E.’s CargoGlide that basically allows you to slide out a platform that is almost as long and wide as your cargo bed, load your gear and slide it back in.  I plan to do  DIY bike mounts bolted to the platform so I can load my bikes and just slide them in and enclose them. With the topper.  It’s a pretty cool system.  http://www.cargoglide.com/

Watching the video of the Power Wagon v. Rebel convinced me that my off-road travels will be a little tamer than what I saw on the video!  

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Don, the Tundra is a good truck.  This is the first Ram I’ve owned and now have 85K+ miles in a little over 3 years.  50K miles towing.  No problems at all.  I had heard of Ram reliability problems too, but couldn’t pass up the price for features 3 years ago.  I had owned multiple Ford and Toyota trucks previously.  I am planning on either a Rebel or Power Wagon after the first of the year, depending on available options (split tailgate).  Just FYI.  

I wish I needed a Touareg!  My son had a diesel and loved it.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Don, if you can get a super killer deal on a Tundra that you like, go for it. It will be very reliable but you will be buying 13 year old technology and, while well sorted, it won’t run anything like a more modern design. The interior is dated and the engine and transmission are lacking. A completely redesigned model is coming very soon. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/351355/2021-toyota-tundra-engine-rumors/

If you are fine with this, go for it. it won’t leave you stranded. The TRD Pro model would be a good choice for washboard roads. You will not like the stock suspension for those conditions.

You should test drive  a regular Ram 2500 with its wonderful rear coil suspension. It drives really nicely. I understand your concerns but I personally would choose a gas powered HD Ram over a Tundra, without any second thoughts.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

Mike and John, I really appreciate your comments and help. Mike, the fact that you’ve had good luck with your Ram is very encouraging.  The discounts on the new 2019 Rebels and Power Wagons are attractive.  I don’t think there’s significant changes in the 2020 models.  The Iowa City dealer doesn’t have a Power Wagon in stock.  I’ll try to drive one in Cedar Rapids tomorrow.  Is there a Ford alternative other than the Raptor which seems a bit over the top to me?  I have ignored Chevy completely and just I did some cursory research on Ford trucks.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

I don’t have any experience with Diesel engines.  I’ve read mixed reviews on the Ram 3.0 diesel.  The reviewers generally say it’s a good engine but not as good as diesels in competition half tons.  I did read that you can drive across the entire state of Texas with one tank of fuel!

Don, you are caught in a very difficult time for pickup buyers, there is so much new stuff coming down the pipeline, it gets you to worrying. Here are some thoughts, they probably will differ from yours. 

When the price incentives for leftover new trucks are so high it makes no sense to pay anything close to MSRP. I don’t think the popular small diesel engines are heavily discounted. These incentives move new trucks off dealer lots but it kills the value of a late model used one, so I wouldn’t buy used....

Diesel vs gas: this has been discussed often, my feelings are that diesel emissions equipment is the cost killer, long term, and that removing them solves that problem, but it is illegal and anti-social. I would never own another diesel of any type. Period. 

There are some interesting changes coming, like the new Ford 7.3 gas engine, which promises to be reliable, super easy to maintain and reasonably fuel efficient when towing. But waiting on new tech is always going to be an exercise in frustration. The newest tech will be in high demand and will not be discounted for a while, and new equipment presents risks to the Beta testers. It is always best to wait a year.

Light Duty vs Heavy Duty: For a daily driver a half ton can’t be beat, especially if you have to go into an urban area. But once you load it down and hook up the trailer, the HD version will be more satisfactory since it will not be working near its limits and you won’t be fretting about taking it into harsh conditions. We often hear from owners who went from a LD to a HD truck and were happy. Rarely does it happen in the other direction. HD trucks are built much stronger, with much higher reserves in frame and driveline strength. A HD truck is much less likely to break in the boonies, requiring a possibly very expensive tow. Once you get onto tracks or trails that a full sized tow truck cannot easily reach, your AAA tow insurance is null, and you might need to pay a $2000 for a specialty offroad recovery. There are many places in the West that meet this description, like the White Rim Road in Canyonlands, or the Alpine Loop in the San Juan Mountains. Buy a TOUGH truck!

Offroad credentials: your new trailer will go anywhere it will fit, no doubt at all. It should be wonderful on washboard and potholed roads. On the highway it may not be as stable as you wished due to the suspension design and big tires. A HD truck will be better in both situations because its extra mass will dampen out any sway or instability.

Suspension: Most pickups drive poorly off pavement, the ones with leaf springs are worse. This can be fixed with an aftermarket suspension but a factory one is probably a better choice. Longer travel, softer springs and big shocks are the best setup, but just adding better shocks can help a lot. Stock shocks tend to get overworked and then fade away, destroying the ride quality and wrecking your kidneys. The worst situation would be to have a TV that is bad on back country roads, you need to pick one that will balance and complement the capabilities of your trailer.

When do you need to make a decision? Do you have to buy right away, can you borrow a tow vehicle to get your new trailer home?

Test drive a bunch of trucks, I think you will find the right one. Buy a heavily discounted one that you like and enjoy it. These crazy wonderful deals will not last much longer though....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

Don, if I were hauling that trailer, going the places you want to go, I’d get a new Defender without giving it a second thought. There’s no advantage to taking a giant pickup off road unless you need the extra towing or load capacity.  The Defender has ample of each for you’re doing, and will be a lot more capable off road, a lot safer on one, and a lot more comfortable on both. 

Edited by Overland

15 minutes ago, Overland said:

Don, if I were hauling that trailer, going the places you want to go, I’d get a new Defender without giving it a second thought. There’s no advantage to taking a giant pickup off road unless you need the extra towing or load capacity. 

While “promising to be” a very capable vehicle no Land Rover will be reliable in the short or long term. I wouldn’t take a Defender ten miles down a rough track without sweating bullets about getting back again. If we start to talk about that much cash, a brand new Land Cruiser would work perfectly. Or a four year old one....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

And I wouldn't pay over $80k for a vehicle that's three generations behind anything else available.  Which is why no one buys them and why Toyota is considering pulling them from the market.  

And sure, buy a four year old vehicle for... reliability.

Regardless, the point remains unchanged.  A full sized truck is a poor choice.

Edited by Overland

1 hour ago, Overland said:

And I wouldn't pay over $80k for a vehicle that's three generations behind anything else available.  Which is why no one buys them and why Toyota is considering pulling them from the market.  

And sure, buy a four year old vehicle for... reliability.

Regardless, the point remains unchanged.  A full sized truck is a poor choice.

I agree about your first paragraph, if Toyota USA updated and marketed this vehicle at ALL, and if they offered some lower trim versions like in Oz, it would sell very well here. Corporate Toyota just doesn’t care about it. OTH you NEVER see a brand new (or a nice used one) sitting for very long on a dealer’s lot, they sell within days.

I hope I won’t offend you, but your second paragraph is way off. Overlanders are snapping up used 200s because they are so capable off pavement and completely bulletproof. I bought my 2013 with 90,000 miles on it, and am the fourth owner. It now has 140K and it drives and the inside looks  like a brand new truck. The outside has brush stripes and some dings from using it as it was designed. If I have to replace it, I will buy another used one. I would pick a well cared for used 200 over any other brand new truck except for a new Power Wagon...

I agree a full sized pickup is probably not a great choice but that is what Don wants.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

Boy, I really opened up a can of worms!  I guess it isn’t so much that I want a full-size pickup, but I want to have a capable off-road vehicle and have room to carry two mountain bikes out of the elements.  If I could find a way to modify it to get more clearance and store a full-size spare, I’d keep the Touareg.  I have looked at and considered a used Land Cruiser, but I haven’t found one that I’d buy.  I also am concerned about the reliability of a Land Rover but agree that a Defender would be perfect for my purposes but for the reliability issues.  So, I’m very close to purchasing a Rebel.  Let’s see how it works.  The distributor of the Conqueror started me on the search for a full-size pickup—it’s what he recommended.  Other 490 owners tow with a variety of vehicles from Power Wagons to Tundras, Tacomas and even 4-Runners.  All seem to like their tow vehicles except for lack of power in the Tacomas and 4-Runners.  

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map