New Direction: Conqueror UEV 490 Extreme

donthompson

This process is driving me nuts!  I almost purchased a Ram Rebel yesterday, but I couldn't pull the trigger.  Even with significant discounts, rebates, etc., the Rebel will cost $8k more than a Tundra SR5 TRD and about the same as a Tundra TRD Pro (although I haven't gotten a firm price on the Pro).  The Rebel is much more pleasant to drive on the highway and I drove it about 15 miles on gravel roads yesterday and it handled the washboard sections beautifully.  Who knows what I'll think on Monday.  I seem to change my mind hourly!  Why am I drawn to the Tundra despite my knowledge that it is outdated and has poorer road manners than the Ram?  I can't explain it.

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Sounds like you’re having fun!  I’m going to be driving a new truck sometime after the new year and am having some of the same indecision issues.  I think the Rebel and SR5 are different model levels.  The Rebel is a little more upscale with the interior, skid plates, etc.  The SR5 is more mid-level?  I like Toyota’s and had an SR5, but you are right that the Toyota design is old, the new Ram design is, well, new.  The Tundra and Tacoma are made right here in San Antonio, but I’m still leaning Ram.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Bought a truck!  Used 2019 Ram Rebel Quad Cab with the long bed.  All the off-road stuff (including crawl, locking diff., etc.) and none of the luxury (leather, nav, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc.).  Ordered an A.R.E. Topper and a full-length steel cargo slide.  Will install through-axle mounts for my bikes on the cargo slide so it will be really easy to get the bikes in and out and they will travel out of the weather.  No windows in the topper and heavily tinted rear window so the value of the cargo won’t be obvious.  What will I do with all this storage!  Also Yakima bars above so I can add a basket for a second spare for both the camper and truck if I want.  It’s a big truck.  Don’t think I’ll drive it around Iowa City very often. Will post photos in 6 weeks or so when I get it completed with topper, etc.  Thanks for all of your advice.  I’ll see how well I like the Ram and I’ll keep my eyes open for the redesigned Tundra.  I wouldn’t buy one the first year, so I’ll probably keep the Ram at least 3-years.  Hope I like it well enough to keep it longer.

D268C03B-BA43-4CD8-BFA2-3762B5570BAA.jpeg

1F380121-D784-43A7-A683-BF02F2C42A4B.jpeg

Edited by donthompson

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

Congratulations, I think you will enjoy the Rebel, please post some pics. It is unusual to see a use 2019, how did that happen? 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

44 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Congratulations, I think you will enjoy the Rebel, please post some pics. It is unusual to see a use 2019, how did that happen? 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Short-term lease. Posted a couple of photos. Certified. 

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Why not drove it around Iowa City?  Our 4 x 4 ram, 2008, is Paul's daily driver. Not that big . Especially on the plains.

Drive the heck out of it. Enjoy it. 

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Let us know what you think of the tires, are they DuraTracs? I am shopping for replacements for my 200 that are a little longer lived than my soft compound Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Why not drove it around Iowa City?  Our 4 x 4 ram, 2008, is Paul's daily driver. Not that big . Especially on the plains.

Drive the heck out of it. Enjoy it. 

Sherry 

Agree!  My Ram is my daily driver, everywhere. 

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 11/18/2019 at 1:05 PM, donthompson said:

Bought a truck!  Used 2019 Ram Rebel Quad Cab with the long bed.  All the off-road stuff (including crawl, locking diff., etc.) and none of the luxury (leather, nav, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc.).  Ordered an A.R.E. Topper and a full-length steel cargo slide.  Will install through-axle mounts for my bikes on the cargo slide so it will be really easy to get the bikes in and out and they will travel out of the weather.  No windows in the topper and heavily tinted rear window so the value of the cargo won’t be obvious.  What will I do with all this storage!  Also Yakima bars above so I can add a basket for a second spare for both the camper and truck if I want.  It’s a big truck.  Don’t think I’ll drive it around Iowa City very often. Will post photos in 6 weeks or so when I get it completed with topper, etc.  Thanks for all of your advice.  I’ll see how well I like the Ram and I’ll keep my eyes open for the redesigned Tundra.  I wouldn’t buy one the first year, so I’ll probably keep the Ram at least 3-years.  Hope I like it well enough to keep it longer.

I am curious - what is the payload of your new truck?  As for daily driver, I love my bigger GMC HD, no problems s my daily driver. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 11/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, BackofBeyond said:

I am curious - what is the payload of your new truck?  As for daily driver, I love my bigger GMC HD, no problems s my daily driver. 

Payload is 1,970 lbs.  Towing capacity is 11,470 lbs.  I don’t think I’ll come close to either limit.  My cargo slide will have a 1,000 lb. limit, so that’s the maximum amount I can carry in the pickup bed under the topper.  First trip will have about 340 lbs. in driver and passenger, less than 100 lbs. from three bikes.  I don’t think I’ll have more than another couple of hundred pounds in the cab/bed combination.  I don’t know what the Conqueror will weigh when it’s ready to travel, but I hope to keep it below 4300 lbs.  

I don’ t see a problem using the truck as a daily driver, but I’m used to zipping around in a VW Golf Sportwagon TDI 6-speed.  Nice town car, gets great mileage, easy to park, decent cargo capacity and it has the same size receiver as my truck and Touareg so my bike racks fit.  

Edited by donthompson

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map