Anyone else watch the Tesla Cybertruck launch?

SeaDawg

Its amusing to me, what we imagine in our rolling homes - when the original thought was to get away from home. I can see me - back to the simple, backpack, and tent -  getting out - away from the rolling subdivisions.... but of course - it'd want to return to my rolling home away from home  - just to freshen up...of course.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I spent enough time sleeping under a poncho, I'm OK with luxury!  Plus most of the stuff I propose is not any more complex than what we already have, it's just a not the way that things have been done.

Between Olivers…

I don't know who will be buying camping vehicles like that, I know I won't be. The younger people of today don't seem to be too interested in things like camping, motorcycles, Campbell Soups, etc., they just want there one bedroom apartment, small hybrid compact vehicle, there iPhone, and their "ME" world. The movie "1984" is looking more realistic everyday. 

trainman 

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
On 4/13/2020 at 3:58 AM, ScubaRx said:

Wonder if they might be called M-O-T-E-R-H-O-M-E-S ?

GM tried that back in the 70s. I actually drove one a few times (belonged to my boss), and it was a pretty sweet fiberglass motorhome.  (It was that lovely 70s harvest gold, like the one in the photo.)

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/gmc-motorhome-was-brilliant-rv-with-bad-timing/

The original design for the gm motorhome was pretty angular and space age, btw.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200417-165454_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200417-165947_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Add photo
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
On 4/16/2020 at 8:55 AM, Trainman said:

The younger people of today don't seem to be too interested in things like camping, motorcycles, Campbell Soups, etc., they just want there one bedroom apartment, small hybrid compact vehicle, there iPhone, and their "ME" world.

trainman 

I agree that some of today’s youth fit in the category you describe.  However, there are a bunch that don’t.  My daughter and husband had an RV before we did.  Her idea of fun is working in her large garden.  My son and family in Durango spend most of their free time skiing in the winter and hiking and biking during warmer weather.  They are looking at purchasing an RV soon.  All is not lost!!

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Actually,  millenials now make up the largest segment of campers, at least according to this article. 

They don't have the same amount of free time that we do, but it doesn't mean they don't enjoy getting out into the wild.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/4/24/18514077/campers-millennials-camping-van-life-glamping

Our daughter and her friends typically tent camp. It's affordable.  And they have fun.

Sherry

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Rivian looks promising.  What they and anyone who isn't Telsa lacks is a reliable distributed charging network.  That and the R1T has a 4.5 foot bed which is pretty limiting vs the 6.5 foot bed in the CT and 1700lbs vs 3500lbs payload.  I'll take the cybertruck.

• Like 2

Between Olivers…

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WhatDa said:

Rivian looks promising.  What they and anyone who isn't Telsa lacks is a reliable distributed charging network.  That and the R1T has a 4.5 foot bed which is pretty limiting vs the 6.5 foot bed in the CT and 1700lbs vs 3500lbs payload.  I'll take the cybertruck.

I'll take the charging network of the Tesla 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Wow. That is very strange. 

Thanks for the update.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

With the potential collapse of large sectors of the economy lots of big companies look to cut their R&D expenses.  An electric SUV (in addition to the Mustang) is high risk.  Maybe the Mach-E Mustang isn't doing so hot vs Tesla and they need to rethink their strategy?

Except for those that want electric for the environment or driving characteristics, the savings for electric have nearly evaporated with the oil crash.  Our Prius Prime gets ~20 miles on 7kWh of electricity.  Supercharger costs 0.25$/kWh so that's $1.75 if I charged up up there (and could), or $0.70 if I fuel up at my outlet at 0.10$/kWh.  So anywhere from 0.0875 to 0.035$/Mile.  Fuel at $2.30/gallon and 60 MPG on "gas only" costs 0.038$/Mile.  Only reason to plug in is just to avoid going to the pump.  Even the 2500 at 20MPG with cheapo diesel at $1.40/gallon is 7 cents a mile - so it'd be cheaper for me to hit the truck stop in a 3/4 diesel than supercharge something like a Prius - so not sure an electric would stand a chance until prices go north of $3/gallon again.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Between Olivers…

16 minutes ago, WhatDa said:

Except for those that want electric for the environment or driving characteristics, the savings for electric have nearly evaporated with the oil crash.  Our Prius Prime gets ~20 miles on 7kWh of electricity.  Supercharger costs 0.25$/kWh so that's $1.75 if I charged up up there (and could), or $0.70 if I fuel up at my outlet at 0.10$/kWh.  So anywhere from 0.0875 to 0.035$/Mile.  Fuel at $2.30/gallon and 60 MPG on "gas only" costs 0.038$/Mile.  Only reason to plug in is just to avoid going to the pump.  Even the 2500 at 20MPG with cheapo diesel at $1.40/gallon is 7 cents a mile - so it'd be cheaper for me to hit the truck stop in a 3/4 diesel than supercharge something like a Prius - so not sure an electric would stand a chance until prices go north of $3/gallon again.

Great work. I was thinking similar, but to lazy to do the math.

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 4/20/2020 at 3:30 PM, WhatDa said:

Right now I'd trust Rivians final numbers a lot more than Tesla's Cyber truck numbers. Tesla has been known to stretch the truth on hasty launches before, this would not be the first time Tesla has promised big and under delivered.  Rivian is several years ahead of Tesla right now in a pickup truck launch. I can't help but recall those Tesla model 3's that were coming out any month now for five years that were supposed to only cost 30k. Don't get me wrong, Tesla has done remarkable things from where we were on EV's 10 years ago, but hype is kind of built into their business model. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

I'm looking forward to seeing this. America's number one truck, electric!

The front end photo is a little Rivianish, unsurprisingly.  But, it will be an undisputed Ford design.

For people like me, primarily local driving/work truck, I'm sure it will be excellent, based on the new hybrid capabilities.  We'll wait and see about the towing. 

The mandated Electrify America project should help, but without Tesla's extensive network,  it's still a question. 

Sherry 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Waiting for the day when the hot question won't be " can I run my ac on this generator." 

Replaced by, "how do I charge my truck while boondocking?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 11/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, John E Davies said:

I don't want to be an early adopter - the number of stations is way WAY too low. All those huge blanks areas? They are where I like to go and spend days exploring. I can top up my gas truck at any dinky little town pump. 

1859954776_Superchargerstatiions.thumb.png.072ba29c22cc9917fda73c0961dfb594.png

As the number of electric vehicles outpaces the availability of an OPEN spot at a station, you will read many more horror stories about wait times and rationed power (you can't get a full charge).

"I actually found the supercharging infrastructure to be seriously lacking, even in southern California (top Tesla market along with bay area). The entire San Diego urban area rely on a single supercharger station inside a parking garage that charge you crazy parking fee and not to mention it is in a very crappy area with nothing else to do. The other supercharger 25 mins north of San Diego was already packed to full years ago.

As in LA metro area, all the areas from Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, LA downtown still relies on a SINGLE supercharger at Culver City with 16 stalls that were completely overwhelmed. The coverage is unchanged from more than 4 years ago in these areas. I think it is completely crazy that Tesla have ignored these areas for so damn long. What the heck is the supercharger team doing? All these happens right in their front yard where Tesla design studio are close by.

Also, what's up with supercharger coverage inside and around all the famous national parks. Forget about going to Grand Canyon with your Tesla unless you rely on destination charger somehow to charge overnight. The closest supercharger is at Flagstaff which is too far for you to go inside the park and back. Yosemite national park is slightly better, but still far from enough. Yellowstone has just one supercharger at one of the park entrances, and that's it, no other supercharger close by.

I am a EV supporter, and despite all the talks and hype about EV taking over the world. The reality is that much faster charging speed, much better supercharger coverage, and longer real world driving range are all needed to improve big time, especially for long distance driving. All these infrastructure and range improvement will probably take another 10 years or longer to be fully competitive and be truly accepted by most car buyer."

... https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharging-nightmare-begins.137244/

John Davies

Spokane WA

And, then, there's Bandon, OR . . . . . 6 Tesla stations and I've never seen one being used.  I asked my hair dresser if there was a demand in the area; she said she has one client in town who owns a Tesla.  I know of another about 25 miles away.  So, unless there are a lot of Teslas traveling the Oregon coast on Hwy 101 that I'm not aware of, which I doubt, (probably 80% of the traffic is RVs), these chargers are overkill.  The location puzzles me, as well.  They are situated in the large parking area of  a strip mall which is host to the usual vendors - a grocery store, drug/variety store, and Dollar General.  Someone mentioned golfers coming to the renowned Dunes course driving Teslas, but I'd imagine those who own a Tesla arrive in private or chartered planes. 

I only hope that before electric vehicles become the norm there will be accommodations for people traveling long distances.  On the other hand, it might reduce the congestion on the roads most certainly in the remote areas we like to visit.  

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

The Tesla network is planned for charging, as you travel.

It's not really set up for owners to charge, except in urban areas, where apartment dwellers and condo owners might not be able to access overnight charging.

Glad to see you have the supercharger in Bandon. Future proofing. 

Here's the Florida map. The network was set up for stops every 125 to 150 miles. I95 is fairly coastal, so, for the most part, we don't have chargers along the smaller coastal highway. 

Screenshot_20200921-162949_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, here's an Oregon map. 

Looks like set up for charging, a to b to c.

20200921_212606.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

So, a year after the launch, Tesla is revising/tweaking the original Cybertruck. 

So,guessing I won't be giving rides at the 2022 rally.   

https://electrek.co/2020/11/02/tesla-unveil-updated-cybertruck-electric-pickup-design/

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 9/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, SeaDawg said:

And, here's an Oregon map. 

Looks like set up for charging, a to b to c.

20200921_212606.jpg

There are 6 chargers in the parking lot at the 101/Hwy 42S junction at Bandon.  I've yet to see a car plugged in there.  I know of one Tesla in Bandon and one in our hometown, Myrtle Point, 25 miles away.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 4 months later...

Alright, here's another new one, this one a forward control layout - nice!  I think this is great looking, with some cool features.  The tilt-down bed side is an awesome idea and the topper looks amazing.  

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35812872/canoo-electric-pickup-truck-revealed/

https://electrek.co/2021/03/10/canoo-unveils-fully-electric-pickup-truck-set-for-2023/

Canoo-Pickup-Front-Snow.thumb.jpg.49d6b011414ad7e696d05e7ecbe2b853.jpgCanoo-Pickup-Camper.thumb.jpg.549abeb058dc02c7ecf0d2df983854f9.jpgCanoo-Pickup-Exterior-Features.thumb.jpg.7e61cf7e4f062e3c48b8f1045e92ecde.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

I read the electric article yesterday.  This might be the perfect around town little truck. I hope they can improve the range.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4