Adding a DirecTV Portable satellite

Mac

We just added a DirecTV receiver-DVR to the Ollie. The cost was the purchase of the equipment a one time fee of $199, and $7 per month going fwd.  The question is, given that the cable connections setup originally installed in the Ollie will remain, HOW AND WHAT PATHWAY WOULD YOU USE TO RUN THE CO-AXIAL CABLE FROM THE RECEIVER  TO AN EXIT LOCATION ON THE EXTERIOR HULL?  I CANT SEEM TO FIND AN OPEN PATHWAY TO DROP THE CABLE FROM THE BACK CABINET INTO AN OPEN SPACE TO RETREIVE IT.  MAKE SENSE? thanks. 

I think Oliver usually runs it down the rear street side corner.  You can access that area by removing the wall panel in the attic.  It's just attached with screws so it should be easy to see how to remove it.  Then just snake the cable down to the basement area.  Depending on your hull #, you may also have a panel in the basement to remove.  Oliver has typically installed the coax outlet on the rear of the trailer, in the space between the lights and spare tire, but I think I've seen some recent ones with the outlet on the street side, in front of the basement door.

Edited by Overland

Thanks Mr Overland...I'll give your recommendation a go!  Tried to tether the cable coax to the satellite coax and pull it through but the various cables built into the setup must be tied together and/or perhaps harnessed in some way making that process not work for me.  

• Moderator+

Here's a trick I've used several times. This is not specific to any given area of the trailer. Use a flexible but stiff object such as this to push through the area you want to fish a wire. Attach a length of string trimmer line similar to this (any brand will do) and pull through at least twice as much as the distance needed to go completely through.  Attach the wire you want to fish to the center of the pull line and pull through being careful not to lose the lower end of the pull line by pulling too far.  When finished, pull the line back and leave a coil of the pull line at either end of the area for the next time you want to pull something new.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Mac -

I'm not overly sure that I see your entire situation here.  I understand your wanting to "fish" a coax between the hulls but perhaps there is another way to get done what you want to do.

I assume that your Oliver does have the external coax port on the street-side rear.  If this is correct then you can use that connection for your Directv.  If you are already using this for other things then you can simply use a "A-B switch" in order to switch between two sources that are connected to that port.  Obviously, if you have even more things you want to connect there are "A-B-C etc. switches".  This way you would not have to fish anything nor would you have to cut another hole in the hull of the Oliver.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

a/b switches don't pass the dc voltage from the sat receiver to the dish correctly. you will get all kinds of error codes from your receiver. you can use that line as long as it is a direct connection, no splitters, a/b switches etc. You can use a  pair of diplexers  instead of an a/b switch to connect off air and satellite, or cable and satellite. 

I am not following this conversation (in other words, I am confused), so I will attempt to describe what I have setup.   I have a 2019 Oliver EII and recently added a Wineguard G3 DirecTV just as you described (purchased equipment and pay $7 per month for extra receiver).  LOVE IT!  The way I connected my DirecTV: in the attic Oliver provided a coax cable (from the satellite connector on street side of the outside) and an HDMI cable (from the television).  I connect the Oliver coax to the Wineguard power box, then fished a new coax from the power box down through the same hole as the television cable wires that lead to the television.   I also fish the HDMI cable from the attic through the same hole and connected both the coax and the HDMI to the receiver.  This now completes the coax cable connection from satellite dome to Wineguard power box to receiver and receiver HDMI back to television. The power needed to power the G3 satellite dome runs from Wineguard power box back through Oliver coax to street side connector to G3.  I leave the receiver on my nightstand table and plug it into one of the AC outlets near the nightstand table.  I plug the Wineguard power box into the AC outlet in the attic.  Attached are photos showing my arrangement.  Very easy, no need for switches or fishing cables (other than pushing cables though same hole used by television cables from the attic). 

cables.jpg

direcTV receiver.jpg

Wineguard powerbox.jpg

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission