Elite II twin bed mattress

MarkC

I won't have the opportunity to try one out before purchase.  But, was just wondering if most people are happy with the 4" foam standard mattress or do most opt out for the upgrade? And the condensation mat yes or no?  Sounds like a good idea but don't know.  Thanks!

• Moderators

Mark -

Part of your answer depends on you and how you're going to use your Ollie.  I'm on the road usually for two months at a crack and prefer the mattress upgrade that I have on only one side.  I've slept well on the standard 4 inch foam mattress but I think the upgrade is simply more comfortable in the long run.

With regards to the condensation mat - I have used a simple 1/2 inch foam board for the better part of the past four years without any problems.  Certainly foam board is a bunch cheaper as compared to any of the mats I've seen.  You could always start out with the foam board and if it didn't work for you then upgrade.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The stock cushion foam seemed a bit soft to me, so when we had some made, I asked for something firmer.  Naturally, that now seems too firm - the grass is always greener I suppose.  That, or I need to find an in between foam.  That's one of the advantages to cushions - that you can inexpensively have a local upholsterer cut new foam pieces for you, to customize them to your liking.  The other advantage is that the twin bed area works much better as a sitting space when the bedding is put away.  

You can do some research on the forum for condensation problems.  I always felt that the issue was limited to the latex mattress that has the holes through it, which allows moisture to travel to the bottom of the mattress and condense.  Regardless, I've seen no complaints about cheaper alternatives like Bill referred to.  We used camping pads for a bit but don't use them anymore.  No mold problems so far.

IMO, if you really want home mattress like quality and feel, you've got to go after market with something like what Southern Mattress offers.  

• 3 weeks later...

We upgraded the mattress after being on the road for 45 day. We then went on the road for 30 days with upgraded mattress purchased from Oliver. Slept terrible with standard mattress and sleep great with the upgraded mattress. We prefer a stiffer mattress and the upgraded fit the bill. Next, we need to upgrade the dinette cushions. By nature, I am a frugal person. It bothered me to spend the extra money o a upgraded mattress. However, it was well worth the additional cost.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

We've slept on upgraded firm cushions for 12 seasons. With a softer mattress pad as a topper. Our longer trips are usually 2 months or so. Short trips are 5 to 7 days. 

I'd think about the included cushions first, and see how it works for you. Everyone is different,  or there wouldn't be so many options out there.  For ys, firm cushions, plus 1.5 or 2 inches of memory foam feels a lot like our home mattress. I find the cushions easier to deal with than a mattress.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.