Lagun Table in Standard Floor Plan

djpinaz

Sharing pics of a lagun table installed in our Oliver. If we were ordering new (or select in our used purchase) we would have looked for a twin bed model, but we have the standard floor plan. We’re not a fan of leaving the queen bed made or leaving the large dinning table up, as it consumes so much space and feels more open without. Therefore we installed a lagun table.  If my to-do list wasn’t so long I would have made the table top, but opted for the manufactures tabletop (beautiful, but pricey).

C1DCCB20-AE38-47BC-AF01-2B1D2857CDD5.jpeg

E9CE9990-8147-49DD-84BC-C74D19B7BEB1.jpeg

• Like 2

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

After purchasing a standard floor plan new, we decided converting from a bed to seating and back again was going to be just more that we wanted to do everyday so, I converted it to a modified twin bed myself.  A little expense and a little effort and we love it!  I needed the extra width at the head of the bed so we added a 18" x 36" "fill in" mattress between the two twins.  Before and After pictures.

Andrew

IMG_0901.JPG

Modified Twin.JPG

• Like 3

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

Looks awesome.  I am sure you'll enjoy it and the added flexibility.

We have a twin bed option and I am in the process of adding the Lagun table option developed by Overland.  Ttyl mounts to the side. He has a terrific description back 4 or 5 pages on this forum.  We have a local craftsman making the top.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The top looks beautiful! Nice install.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, AndrewK said:

After purchasing a standard floor plan new, we decided converting from a bed to seating and back again was going to be just more that we wanted to do everyday so, I converted it to a modified twin bed myself.  A little expense and a little effort and we love it!  I needed the extra width at the head of the bed so we added a 18" x 36" "fill in" mattress between the two twins.  Before and After pictures.

Andrew

IMG_0901.JPG

Modified Twin.JPG

Andrew, did you do this conversion yourself, or did you have Oliver do it? We would prefer to have the twin layout so would be interested in what it would take. It seems like I also saw a post of someone that made brackets to accommodate twin mattresses, but I can't seem to locate that post.

Darren

Darren,

I did this myself, using twin bed rails and rivets purchased from Oliver and a filler piece made form the factory filler, used to make the king bed.

I included a few more pictures that include; the rails installed, the bracket and filler piece (covered in blue painters tape).

If you would like to do the same, I would be more than happy to walk you through it.

Please PM me with your contact information.

Andrew

Twin Bed Installation 5.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 6.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 7.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 8.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 1.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 2.JPG

Twin Bed Installation 3.JPG

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Love your re-design and would like to do this to my Oliver... Questions- what is the purpose of the (blue) filler pieces? Are they the standard filler piece(s) that are provided with the standard Oliver? Can these be moved forward to allow for a Lagun Table riser?

Thanks, Bill, Hull # 144

We’re very happy with how our conversion from the standard floor plan to the twin turned out. Thanks to Andrewk for his help in navigating the project along the way! Before pics at the start of this thread. After pics below. 

A52E4E60-0CEF-4ED8-94FA-DF598FF495B0.jpeg

9673A204-F3DF-42CD-9AB0-744C7A610FF0.jpeg

On 6/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, hellfighter1 said:

Love your re-design and would like to do this to my Oliver... Questions- what is the purpose of the (blue) filler pieces? Are they the standard filler piece(s) that are provided with the standard Oliver? Can these be moved forward to allow for a Lagun Table riser?

Thanks, Bill, Hull # 144

Bill, 

I put the blue tape on the filler piece, that came with our standard floor plan, to keep from damaging it when I cut it on the table saw.  If you want or have a Lagun table, I wouldn’t use the filler and set it up like Darren did.

We don’t have the table and I needed the extra length for the center piece, to spread out at the head of the bed as, I am 6’5” and a back sleeper.  I need the extra room for my shoulders.  Most would not.

If you would like to discuss further PM me or I am sure Darren would be happy to talk with you as well.

Andrew

Edited by AndrewK
  • Like 1

Andrew

On 6/5/2020 at 11:00 PM, AndrewK said:

Bill, 

I put the blue tape on the filler piece, that came with our standard floor plan, to keep from damaging it when I cut it on the table saw.  If you want or have a Lagun table, I wouldn’t use the filler and set it up like Darren did.

We don’t have the table and I needed the extra length to to center piece, to spread out at the head of the bed as, I am 6’5” and a back sleeper.  I need the extra room for my shoulders.  Most would not.

If you would like to discuss further PM me or I am sure Darren would be happy to talk with you as well.

Andrew

I was wondering about bed width in the twin bed.  Our current RV twins are 34"x76 - 4" narrower and 1" shorter than the Oliver.  My husband is 6'1" and also a back sleeper.  This looks like a great solution.  I would rather not have the table mounts in the floor.  I like your Lagun table top.  Is this something you did?  The table could also serve as a replacement for the nightstand that the twin floorplan includes.  In our current RV layout, the nightstand is the same height as the bed platform and includes a filler mattress (for transforming into a king bed).  If the Oliver twin was designed this way, you could do this mod.  You give up the drawer between the beds, but are always tradeoffs.  

On the topic of tables: Can someone tell me the dimensions of the dinette table.  Has anyone modified it with a sliding extension or some way to make it just a bit wider?

I appreciate everyone sharing their ideas so we can make the best decision on floorplan, options, etc. 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Susan,

We specifically ordered our Ollie without the table mounts in the back, knowing we would not use the table. 

Darrin, can you answer Susan's question about your Lagun mounted table.

Andrew

Andrew

Susan, the first link provided above by Overland above is where I purchased our lagun table hardware and top. We’re very happy with it and the options we have with it. We fold the top into it’s smaller shape and rotate between us when we’re sleeping to make sure the walkway is clear for a middle of the night potty run, and it acts as a nightstand. During the day we rotate it to the hallway and open it up for coffee or while watching tv.

Darren

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does Oliver sell an option that deletes the night stand to allow the wrap around seating in the rear with twin beds? Darren's setup looks like a way better use of space! When the lagun blocks access to the drawer there isn't much of a point to having one 😃 (I know the top pops off the nightstand).

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

2 minutes ago, Overland said:

I don't know if there's an option to delete it, but I believe it's just four screws to remove.  

The entire night stand top can be removed with 4 screws? It looks like it is part of the mold? I love your custom bracket by the way. I've had your post bookmarked for at least 2 years. 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

21 minutes ago, Overland said:

Yes, it's a separate piece - they caulk the front edge to hide the joint.  I've never actually tried to take it off so they may also glue it in addition to the screws, but I doubt it.  

Interesting! Thank you for the great information. I'm guessing quite a few people were not aware of that.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

1 hour ago, Jairon said:

Does Oliver sell an option that deletes the night stand to allow the wrap around seating in the rear with twin beds? Darren's setup looks like a way better use of space! When the lagun blocks access to the drawer there isn't much of a point to having one 😃 (I know the top pops off the nightstand).

Jairon,

I know Oliver deleted the nightstand on at least one build.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

Hmmmm . . . . .  deleting the nightstand is an interesting concept.  You lose the drawer, but you could have a hatch to easily access the rear area of the basement.  And it would give more elbow room for those wanted to sleep with their head to the rear of the trailer.  Our small motor home twin bed model has a night stand, but it is level with the bed platforms, not raised.  The top of the "nightstand" folds out to convert the twin beds into a king, with filler mattresses.  We don't use this option, but it does make for a bigger bed, if you so desire.  The wrap around seating created by the Elite II nightstand deletion would make a nice daytime lounge and you can always set a tray there for use as a nightstand at night.  Not sure how this works with the twin bed rails.

Maybe a better solution is to convert the standard floorplan to twin by adding the bed rails.  Does the rear bench of the standard wrap around seating have a hatch for basement access?

If someone tries removing (or has already removed) the nightstand in a Twin bed lay out, please report. . . . .  pictures are nice 😊

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

The two hulls - standard and twin - are identical save for the nightstand and bed rails, which are attached separately. So a standard plan with bed rails and a twin plan without the nightstand would be identical. And yes, there is a hatch underneath. 

There was some talk either here or at the last rally about Oliver trying to work out a unified plan where the nightstand could be removed and used as part of the support for a king bed. No idea if there’s any truth behind that, but it’s an interesting exercise to consider how that might work. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/27/2020 at 7:59 PM, Overland said:

So a standard plan with bed rails

Considering doing this to make our trailer feel bigger and more functional.  Order the rails from Oliver?

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• Moderators
On 1/31/2023 at 10:16 AM, Liana said:

Order the rails from Oliver?

Since this post has two different but related subjects, are you referring to the Lagun table mount or the standard to twin bed conversion?  Overland’s original implementation of the Lagun table mount was in his twin bed LE2.  AndrewK ordered the rails and rivets from Oliver and converted his standard to twin beds himself.  We dropped our standard LE2 off at the factory for the standard to twin bed conversion while heading from Florida to Illinois for a family reunion.  Since AndrewK is based in San Diego, CA., the cross country drive would not have been convenient.  I do believe he was the first to complete this mod in the field.  I hope I didn’t make this answer any more confusing than needed.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”