How tall is your RV and Its load?

Geronimo John

The Definitive 11Foot 8 Bridge Crash Compilation

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

3 hours ago, Nan said:

I asked Oliver this question and they told me 9' 7"

I closely agree with this measurement.  I measured our trailer on a very flat and level surface and it measured 9'  6" to the top of the AC unit.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Mine has an Atwood Air Command ac which is fairly short and I use 9’6” as a “No Go” number. I made a placard with this and the height of my TV with roof rack installed, and added it next to the rear view mirror, for easy reference.

Keep in mind your trailer height will vary depending on the trailer load, tire pressure, the angle of the frame and also with any dips or rises in the road surface. A deep dip may throw the back way up when your TV rear tires drop into it. Always add a little extra clearance for insurance....!

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

#359 is approx. 9' 7" .    It fits under my 10' garage door with 4" or so to spare. My no go is 10' just for safety sake -  After watching  that video - wow. 

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

#359 is approx. 9' 7" .    It fits under my 10' garage door with 4" or so to spare. My no go is 10' just for safety sake -  After watching  that video - wow. 

I use 10’ too.  If it’s lower I’m going to get out and check.  Some of those RV owners in the video don’t seem to have a clue.  I can cut a little bit of slack to the rental truck drivers, but not the RV drivers.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Looks like that bridge could use a warning system like this one in Sydney. Approaching truck height is measured by sensors. Overheight vehicles trigger a giant stop sign projected onto a wall of water and air-- impossible to ignore. Quite cool.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/158996/aussies-deploy-water-wall-tunnel-warning-technology

It's also deployed when there's a fire or accident in the tunnel. Emergency vehicles can drive right through, of course, since it's only water.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That video is a hoot, I have seen it before but with no sound. I watched it with volume turned up for the first time..... the huge bangs and the comments of the watchers inside the office are great. If you don’t want to watch the entire thing, start at about 8:30. That shows a very cautious trucker approaching at a snails pace. He hits and stops. No worries.

A minute later we see a box truck stopped at the side street.

He waits, then turns left, AWAY from the bridge.

Why is the film still rolling?...

Then we hear “beep beep beep beep”.

“No no!” I shout out loud.

He backs into the intersection and reverses carefully back up the wrong lane of the side street.

He waits.

He considers.....

What the hell, he turns right and guns it under the bridge...

I laughed out loud, I wonder how he ever passed his CDL test.

John Davies
Spokane  WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I saw this video and thought about my Ollie (9'7") height.  As with several responding owners, I too use a 10' ALL STOP and stand on my truck tailgate to visually verify what the obstruction height really is. 

I've seen several old bridges with a ten foot clearance signs.  Yet the road to and from it has had several overlays...... but the sign condition obviously says it had not been changed in many decades.  So knowing your actual flat land height is a good start.  But knowing your ALL STOP and check height may be more useful.    My motto is:                    10' Clearance  = STOP & CHECK

Geronimo John  

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

Yes, whenever we deliver rvs, Paul makes a little sign by the mirror with height, plus 4 inches, for safety.

We're not about to take a chance with a frost heave or road repair taking off the ac.

Btw, our 2008 legacy I  is right at 9' 6". With lifted axle, 15 inch st tires.

Sherry 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Astonishing video!  We keep handy a note with our max height listed in feet & meters. "Oh $#!+, how high is 4.8 meters?!"

Outside Height to top of optional roof mounted satellite receiver 9' 10.5" or 3.0099 meters
Outside Height to top of A/C Unit 9' 7" or 2.921 meters

(Above is for 2017 LE2)

• Like 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 1 month later...

A humorous reminder (if it’s not you) to double check a bridge clearance.

When in doubt check it out.

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 12/28/2019 at 1:39 PM, John E Davies said:

Mine has an Atwood Air Command ac which is fairly short and I use 9’6” as a “No Go” number. I made a placard with this and the height of my TV with roof rack installed, and added it next to the rear view mirror, for easy reference.

Keep in mind your trailer height will vary depending on the trailer load, tire pressure, the angle of the frame and also with any dips or rises in the road surface. A deep dip may throw the back way up when your TV rear tires drop into it. Always add a little extra clearance for insurance....!

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, did you replace your original a/c with the Atwood or did it come standard from the factory?  We replaced our Dometic on our motorhome with the Atwood and I've considered doing it on the Oliver.  In our case, the Dometic was so noisy, we couldn't eat at the dinette directly under the unit with it running. The Atwood was much quieter, cooled better, had lower amp draw and the fan speeds were noticeably different (low, med, high) - unlike the Dometic.

The only thing I was slightly concerned about was the additional height of the Atwood versus the now standard low profile unit.

I don't have the satellite receiver so I tend to use the 10' rule in most cases.   When in doubt, stop and triple check.

From the Oliver site for the Elite II specs.  

Outside Height

8' 6"
Outside Height to Top of Optional Roof Mounted Satellite Receiver 9' 10.5"
Outside Height to Top of A/C

9' 7"

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator+

Due to the extra height of the GoLight behind our A/C, 10 feet is an absolute must for us.

DSC_0050-1.thumb.JPG.f760376468714f376fd5321a0a75e398.JPG

During our return trip from the Boler Rally in Winnipeg in 2018, we toured North and South Dakota. This photo is looking back North after going thru Hood Tunnel as we were traveling South on SD 87 in the Black Hills toward Custer, SD.  It gave me pause but it is actually bigger than it looks. Hood Tunnel: 10 feet, 6 inches wide; 11 feet, 3 inches high.

1084994558_DSC_0545(2).thumb.JPG.c8a8ce8f7d1ea925359b2ac63a38ba82.JPG

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

“Mouse” is sometimes 28 feet tall.....

D0D70139-2136-4862-A746-C915D1ED3376.thumb.jpeg.8bc00bf8ae7b603913aca13de28d9aab.jpeg

I have not towed with the pole extended .... yet.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

After watching that video I took another look at the GiraffeG4.  Of course it will only help if the driver slows down to check before it is too late. Most of the vehicles in that video were going too fast to have a chance. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

When I spoke to some Earthcruiser owners at overland expo a few years ago they told me that they used a gps system that allowed them to input their max height and then it would only give them routes that allowed that clearance. I want to say it was a garmin system but I don’t really remember. 

1 hour ago, Overland said:

When I spoke to some Earthcruiser owners at overland expo a few years ago they told me that they used a gps system that allowed them to input their max height and then it would only give them routes that allowed that clearance. I want to say it was a garmin system but I don’t really remember. 

That is the Garmin RVxxx series. I have the 660 and I am generally very pleased with it, but I intentionally do NOT use it in RV mode. Maybe if I had a 13.5’ tall EC..... the RV mode is always nagging and making stupid warnings, “ “Curves ahead“ yeah, like twenty miles ahead.... “Steep grade ahead”, “Low clearance ahead”, etc etc. There was always some sort of irritating popup window that would appear, so I had to keep clearing the message. Then it would reappear. I do recommend this series but the RV part is pretty lame. The database of dump stations and campgrounds is Just average, but in that mode the big icons really clutter up the map.

Anyway, RV mode is not for everybody.... read reviews before you go out of your way to buy one.

John Davies

Spokane WA