TSD/EFS Fuel Card

dbp05ret

Here is a big thread. ..... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tsd-logistics-efs-fuel-card-446852.html

I think it might be a great money saver, especially if you don’t mind refueling at those nasty truck stops....

Will it work at small commercial/ agricultural stations in the boonies? Or only in places like Loves along major freeways?

The truck stops around here all seem to have significantly higher posted diesel prices than the small independents. I always wondered why all the truckers bothered, but if they are saving $0.50 per gallon using a card like this, that will still be a very big savings.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a great program but I am concerned as to which pumps would have to be used at these truck stops?  The truckers pumps have HUGE nozzles and pump the fuel so fast, it is almost impossible to use them on the standard sized filler neck on my Dodge 3500.  If the cards can be used at the auto diesel pumps, life would be good.  Does anyone know anything about pump restrictions or limitations?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hobo said:

It sounds like a great program but I am concerned as to which pumps would have to be used at these truck stops?  The truckers pumps have HUGE nozzles and pump the fuel so fast, it is almost impossible to use them on the standard sized filler neck on my Dodge 3500.  If the cards can be used at the auto diesel pumps, life would be good.  Does anyone know anything about pump restrictions or limitations?

According to their website, looks you must use the truck pumps. I didnt call to verify, as I  don't have diesel. 

Screenshot_20200110-092312_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I am awaiting my card. It should arrive any day. My only complaint about driving a diesel as my tow vehicle is the price difference between gas and diesel. I hope the card arrives before I start my 6 week travel to warmer weather. I will report back my findings. Thanks Bill for posting this video!

• Like 1

I am curious to know if anyone can advise whether in the typical "truck" lanes at truck stops there are identified pumps that have the smaller nozzles?  I have attempted to use the larger nozzles in my Dodge 3500 and it is a painful experience to say the least.  Alternatively, are there any adaptors the effectively allow use of these pumps with a standard diesel fill tube?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I made my first fuel stop today to try my new TSD/EFS fuel card. Using this card in the truck lanes at Truck Stops, it is suppose to save you money on diesel fuel NOT gasoline. Diesel fuel was listed for $2.82 per gallon. My bill for diesel listed on the pump after fueling was $47.00 for 16.613 gallons. I also purchased DEF at $2.79 per gallon ($9.71).  After fueling, my cost per gallon was $2.48 per gallon saving .34 cents per gallon. My account was debited $41.30 saving $5.30 on diesel. No discount on DEF. It was easier than I thought. If your tow vehicle is a diesel, you may want to give a try. Sure, there are some pro/cons of using the card. However, paying $2.48 per diesel gallon was better then $2.82. Here is a link to the application https://www.tsdlogistics.com/fuel-card-application-rv/. If you want to place my name as a referral, I receive $25. If not, leave it blank and start saving money on diesel fuel. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dbp05ret said:

I made my first fuel stop today to try my new TSD/EFS fuel card. Using this card in the truck lanes at Truck Stops, it is suppose to save you money on diesel fuel NOT gasoline. Diesel fuel was listed for $2.82 per gallon. My bill for diesel listed on the pump after fueling was $47.00 for 16.613 gallons. I also purchased DEF at $2.79 per gallon ($9.71).  After fueling, my cost per gallon was $2.48 per gallon saving .34 cents per gallon. My account was debited $41.30 saving $5.30 on diesel. No discount on DEF. It was easier than I thought. If your tow vehicle is a diesel, you may want to give a try. Sure, there are some pro/cons of using the card. However, paying $2.48 per diesel gallon was better then $2.82. Here is a link to the application https://www.tsdlogistics.com/fuel-card-application-rv/. If you want to place my name as a referral, I receive $25. If not, leave it blank and start saving money on diesel fuel. 

Darryl,  

Any issue with nozzle size and nozzle flow rate trying to fill your truck?  Also, did you note that within the "truck" lanes, were there lanes specifically identified for RVs etc. or did you just follow in with the semis?

Edited by hobo
misspelling

I received the card on Monday. I was excited (yes, excited) to use it. So, I drove my Duramax to the Loves Truck stop 10 miles away. I did not have the Oliver in tow. I just wanted to test the fuel card. I followed the signs to the Truck Diesel. I pulled into an open lane. There was no RV lane. There was a FedEx semi to my right and another semi to my left. I swiped my card. The pump asked me a series of questions such as control number and pin. I received these numbers when I got my card in the mail.  I then filled up. Also, I told the pump that I wanted receipt. Receipts would be picked up inside. The nozzle had no problem fitting in the Duramax fuel opening. I placed the pump nozzle  on the lowest speed. I was apprehensive about increasing the flow rate higher. The lowest flow rate was fast enough. After fueling, I pulled away from the pumps and drove a short distance to the back of the Loves where I viewed other trucks parked. I walked in and there was a numbered shelf. I had fueled at pumped 18. The shelf was numbered 1-20. I took the receipt out of slot 18. It showed $47.00. Within 10 minutes, I had an email from TSD/EFS showing my cost of $41.30. This morning, I received a final receipt. The only addition was a .57 cent fee for processing. I just checked the app on price of Diesel at a couple of locations in Virginia. A Pilot in Harrisonburg, VA; diesel for users of card is listed at $2.55 and Richmond at a Loves $2.35. Hobo, I hope this answers your question. It sure beats paying the listed price.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dbp05ret said:

I received the card on Monday. I was excited (yes, excited) to use it. So, I drove my Duramax to the Loves Truck stop 10 miles away. I did not have the Oliver in tow. I just wanted to test the fuel card. I followed the signs to the Truck Diesel. I pulled into an open lane. There was no RV lane. There was a FedEx semi to my right and another semi to my left. I swiped my card. The pump asked me a series of questions such as control number and pin. I received these numbers when I got my card in the mail.  I then filled up. Also, I told the pump that I wanted receipt. Receipts would be picked up inside. The nozzle had no problem fitting in the Duramax fuel opening. I placed the pump nozzle  on the lowest speed. I was apprehensive about increasing the flow rate higher. The lowest flow rate was fast enough. After fueling, I pulled away from the pumps and drove a short distance to the back of the Loves where I viewed other trucks parked. I walked in and there was a numbered shelf. I had fueled at pumped 18. The shelf was numbered 1-20. I took the receipt out of slot 18. It showed $47.00. Within 10 minutes, I had an email from TSD/EFS showing my cost of $41.30. This morning, I received a final receipt. The only addition was a .57 cent fee for processing. I just checked the app on price of Diesel at a couple of locations in Virginia. A Pilot in Harrisonburg, VA; diesel for users of card is listed at $2.55 and Richmond at a Loves $2.35. Hobo, I hope this answers your question. It sure beats paying the listed price.

Darryl,

You answered my questions better than I could have hoped for.  You're step-by-step explanation was perfect.  Makes me feel much better about applying for a card.  Thanks

• Thanks 2

I had a bad experience at Loves Truck Stop. This is a word of caution to watch your surroundings at these big truck stops.  I was at Loves truck stop at the Florida, GA, line. All the pumps were full, very busy.  I used my credit card and started fueling. There was what appeared to be an employee at the pump with a bucket and cleaning supplies. Like most, you want to fuel and get back on the road quickly. Which i did no problems.

After many hours of driving it was time to refuel. Using my card again it was declined. Calling the card company they informed me that another $500.00 fuel purchase was put on my card at the Loves truck stop at Fl Ga. I called the manager of that loves, and explained what happened. He explained that there employees must wear reflective vests that say loves. And when they clean the area, the pump section is closed off.  The manager contacted the State Police who then contacted me.  The State Police was able to make an arrest based on video recordings. I was told that Five other Truck stops were hit the same way. I was also told this is a common practice that the bad guys go to the busiest truck stops, blend in and are able to get your card info.  They said this guy read my card as i put it in the pump. I am still amazed this guy was not that close to me. And the State police said no electronic card reader was used. Beware. Lesson learned.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Land Rover - 

Thanks for the write up - I had a similar CC issue last summer - one for $500 and one for $100 - the 500 was declined, but the 100 got through - I had a time getting it resolved.  I am now much more cautious. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The gas buddy app has a card you link to your bank account that saves you 5 cents per gallon and there are no restrictions on stations you can use. We pair that up with our Kroger card when at home, and use it while traveling. It's not as flashy as the other fuel savings cards but I like that I can use it anywhere with any fuel type. 

1 hour ago, The Shackelfords said:

The gas buddy app has a card you link to your bank account that saves you 5 cents per gallon and there are no restrictions on stations you can use. We pair that up with our Kroger card when at home, and use it while traveling. It's not as flashy as the other fuel savings cards but I like that I can use it anywhere with any fuel type. 

Shackelfords

im not sure about the fraud protection with Gas Buddy. If your card is compromised your bank account will be vulnerable to theft and your account can be drained before you know it happened. At least with a credit fuel card the credit card company takes the hit for the loss. It maybe harder to recoup your loss with your bank. Just a thought. Card theft happens more at fuel stations than anywhere else. 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

1 hour ago, Landrover said:

Shackelfords

im not sure about the fraud protection with Gas Buddy. If your card is compromised your bank account will be vulnerable to theft and your account can be drained before you know it happened. At least with a credit fuel card the credit card company takes the hit for the loss. It maybe harder to recoup your loss with your bank. Just a thought. Card theft happens more at fuel stations than anywhere else. 

I know my bank will help me recoup my losses in that event, however I would definitely check your bank before committing to any such program.  As far as I am aware the TSD fuel card has a very similar setup as the Gasbuddy card.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the card is linked to your bank account and the amount is auto drafted shortly after fuel purchases. Unlike say a shell credit card that is setup as an actual line of credit. 

• Thanks 1

Started journey south with hull number 412 bound for warmer weather. I stopped for diesel for my Duramax. Diesel on the pump was listed for $2.94 per gallon. Using my TSD/EFS fuel card, I paid $2.28 a gallon. It saved me a total $12.99. The app showed the location of each truck stop on my route. I was traveling on I 65 southbound when I refueled in Alabama. My receipt showed up in the app almost immediately. I will get another receipt tomorrow which will show the debit from my checking account. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

That's an awesome savings.

For the many of us whose tvs run on gas, look into the credit cards that give cash discounts,  by per centage. Check nerd wallet. There's on credit card now that gives 5 per cent cash back, pretty much anywhere in the USA. 

If you have a Costco or Sam's card, you'll pick up savings of 4 or 5 per cent. Much more when you gas uo at Sam's or Costco,  as they're already 3 to 6 per cent below local prices. Then, enjoy the credit card savings. 

We use a combination of all of the above. We have a credit card (credit union) that gives us 5 per cent cash back anywhere, plus enjoy the savings at Costco,  Sam's,  and Murphy's attached to Walmart sites. 

And I use gasbuddy app and google to look ahead for gas prices on my phone. On a typical trip from Florida to north Carolina,  we stop twice in South Carolina,  where gas is cheaper by 15 to 20 cents. Our 34 gallon tank will take us into town in Asheville several times in nc , and back to a cheaper gas stop in SC, on the way home, if we fill up in Spartanburg. 

Sherry 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

I finished my 3589  mile trip on March 9, 2020.  The highest price I paid for diesel was $2.31 and the cheapest was $1.71. In the majority of the cases, I was paying considerably less for diesel then the gasoline listed price. Loves by far is my number one choice. The typical price paid was usually between .60 to .75 cents below listed price. For example, today the Loves near my house where I fueled listed diesel at $2.48 and I paid $1.65 for diesel. Gas is listed for $1.78. This was a discount of .83 cents from the marquee price for diesel.  I love this fuel card!

• Like 1