Full Time Living in an Oliver?

RVingDogMom

Hi! This is my very first forum post after much lurking.

I’m planning to dramatically downsize and move into an Oliver full time and work remotely. For those here in the forum who’re living in an Ollie full time, can you please share your lessons learned/things you wish you’d known before making the transition? (Also, I have two small dogs 🐶🐶)

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

RDM

• Moderators

How big are your small dogs? That makes a difference. 

I've known three couples who successfully full timed in the smaller Elite I. With pet(s), over the years. And, I  have friends who travel extensively with one or two small dogs, on the smaller Elite. 

Honestly,  if it's just you and truly small dogs ( under 20 pounds), I wouldn't rule out the smaller Elite I. Easier to tow, smaller space. Wider choices in tow vehicles because of the smaller footprint  and weight. If you're primarily working remote, wardrobe isn't a huge issue , anyway..

We use the storage space under the bed for three big bins. Handles most seasonal wardrobe changes in three season camping. (We're rarely out for more than ten weeks, but really, same routine is likely. ) Truck bed carries overflow, with a cover. 

Just my thoughts. I'll  start the popcorn.

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:00 PM, Ken_Judy said:

Check out Debbie Lafeiche at www.supersizelife.com .  She is doing it in an Oliver.  

Her site is a gold mine, thank you!!!! I hadn’t considered a van for a tow vehicle and I like the idea, better to secure storage than a truck cap. Im going to reach out to her with my pet questions. Thank you so much!

On 12/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, SeaDawg said:

How big are your small dogs? That makes a difference. 

I've known three couples who successfully full timed in the smaller Elite I. With pet(s), over the years. And, I  have friends who travel extensively with one or two small dogs, on the smaller Elite. 

Honestly,  if it's just you and truly small dogs ( under 20 pounds), I wouldn't rule out the smaller Elite I. Easier to tow, smaller space. Wider choices in tow vehicles because of the smaller footprint  and weight. If you're primarily working remote, wardrobe isn't a huge issue , anyway..

We use the storage space under the bed for three big bins. Handles most seasonal wardrobe changes in three season camping. (We're rarely out for more than ten weeks, but really, same routine is likely. ) Truck bed carries overflow, with a cover. 

Just my thoughts. I'll  start the popcorn.

Sherry 

- one is 9 lbs the other is 20, so sounds like Elite I is still an option - wonderful. 

- was hoping for Elite I bc I have NO experience towing vehicles, I’m small as are my puppers and i’ll have storage in my tow vehicle to help maximize my boondocking time. I’ll have to keep a suitcase filled with travel stuff/business attire for the times I have to meet clients or attend but otherwise wardrobe will be easy. 

The supersizelife blog has me thinking about a van. Either a van or a truck with a cap, i am considering mounting solar on the roof and running the wire through a window or drilled hole access to a battery powered generator and the other battery powered generator (yes, I have two 😳) I’ll use on the ground with a suitcase solar panel.

Im also looking at how to manage storage in the tow vehicle- stable, organized, heavy stuff on bottom (batteries, water, canned goods, dog food) and then rest on mid/top level shelves (clothes, bedding, dog items, first aid, dry goods) and big lightweight things in the middle (outdoor carpet, dog crates, clamshell tent, etc.)

Ive talked to Phil in sales and he’s looking for options so I can see an Elite I and II up close to confirm which I’d prefer. I was concerned about potential resale for an Elite I but considering the scarcity of Ollies out there, if for some reason I need to sell it looks like that shouldn’t be a huge problem.

I’m also thinking at some point of upgrading the AGM batteries to lithium (less weight, more capacity) and I told Pete the pre-wired roof solar is great but I’d rather a higher capacity panel on the Ollie’s roof as well.

Hadn’t initially planned on a factory tour but after reading supersizelife I do think that’s a must.

Again thank you and appreciate any additional thoughts, questions and suggestions.

Happy New Year!

RDM

I haven't bought an Ollie yet, but have done quite a bit of trailering and rving.  One thing to caution about is how much weight your tow vehicle will be able to carry when you're towing.  It may not be as much as you'd hope for.  For myself and my wife, I calculated that I'd have about 3-400 lbs of extra weight capacity in my truck after subtracting our weight, the trailer tongue weight, full tank of gas, cap weight, and the dog, etc.  All the extra camping cargo can add up fast.  YMMV with whatever tow vehicle you're using of course, so you should look closely at whatever vehicle you pick to make sure it has plenty of carrying capacity.  I suspect a lot of folks tend to go with trucks because vans in general can't haul as much as a truck.  Vans do offer the advantage of having better access to gear and 24/7 covering.

Regards,

Patrick

Edited by JPatrickJ