Solar Generators?

Mirna

On 11/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, John E Davies said:

I am glad it is working for you but the manufacturer would consider that to be abuse. How long does the battery last before it will no longer perform well? OTH generic replacements are everywhere, cheap and simple to change. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Hey John, yeah - for sure not something the manufacturer would recommend since I drain the battery dead every time I take it.  The battery hasn't given me any problems in 2 years, but I don't do this very often (once or twice a year at most)...  I did take one with me this week to pick up our Oliver though as we slept in the back of my truck the first night and I did use it to power the dog's heated bed and charge my phone and watch over night rather than using my TV battery. 

As I said, now that I have a travel trailer, I won't be needing to do this any longer.  I can start saving some $$$ for a real one (Jackery) some day - maybe black Friday 2021.  🙂  

• Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Hi Airedales, I also read the reviews, they give a lot of compliments about Jackery 1000. So, I bought it. Plugged in our 2018 Samsung 43 ”LED Smart TV and an X-Box One. The display showed the two items together drawing about 100 watts. My son volunteered to play NBA 2K for three straight hours after which the Explorer 1000 charge dropped from 100% to 85%. I think it's not bad.

Hey Andrew... Thanks for the sample test results.... I’d say kids on the x-box for three straight hours is a pretty good real world test... not having them bug me for that long is worth the price alone😂.. Santa just delivered yesterday... can’t wait figure out all the uses I’ll have for it... Happy Holidays and save travels!  

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I watched five different YouTube videos today on the bluetti ac200 and ac200p. (3 were by Will Prowse, over a period of six months.)

This looks like a really impressive unit, though Will noted some of his forum members had some issues with early units.

Has anyone here tried the new Bluetti? Their new inverter seems to be quite efficient.  Input for around 700 watts of solar for recharging quickly.

It's pricey,  at almost 2k, but it has a lot of features, data readouts,  and choices of outlet types.

I'm subscribed to most of these YouTube presenters. Girl in the woods, and her husband, are rather interesting woods dwellers. Lately, I've followed their progress building a tiny cabin in the UP.

Will Prowse,  of course, is my most followed source. I love watching his testing and teardowns, of all things solar and battery.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Add videos

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This unit is one of the better ones in my opinion (note: I do not own this one).  Will Prowse does an excellent job of identifying strengths and weaknesses of each unit he reviews.  Some units can take a full day or longer to charge after being fully discharged.  

Would you buy one if your trailer already has Li batteries and an inverter?

Would you buy one instead of upgrading your trailer to Li batteries? 

How would you expect to use the solar generator?

Mike

Edited by mjrendon
  • Like 1

Take a look at the Bioenno LiFePO, bioennopower.com, 1500 watt power pack for $1,200, plus a 100 watt foldable solar panel and controller for $200, if you need 1500 watt. I use the 500 watt power pack that was on sale for $250, built-in inverter, usb and 12 volt ports. I use it at work sites and for portable ham radio operation. 

Be careful of titles - it really isn't a solar "generator". It does not really effectively replace a propane or gasoline generator. It would be a fine backup or portable power supply, but very pricey. It will not likley power an a/c, microwave or similar appliance for long, if at all. That is what a traditional generator would do, maybe. 

• Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators

I'm exploring all kinds of alternatives.  Right now, we don't have a need for any new batteries, or a solar generator.  But, i like to know what's out there. 

Jrk, I'll take a look at the bioenno.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Today's mild rant from Will puts me off the Bluetti, at least for awhile.

https://youtu.be/m-Am_hqD4tg

I think he believes he got a better unit than general customers have been receiving.  

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4