New (almost) Owners

Mark & Susan

Good morning Everyone!

My husband & I are in the process of having our Elite II Ollie built. The expected delivery is in February. We have tent camped for many years but are new to travel trailer camping. I have looked over and/or read many of the topics in this forum, but I have some questions. 

We know there are a multitude of items we will need to purchase such as blocks, chocks, etc. I was wondering if someone on this list could give me an idea of what we might need to purchase and a good location/store we can get them from. 

I am sure this question has been asked before so I apologize for asking it again. 
Regards,

Susan

Ram 1500 4x4

Edited by Mark & Susan
  • Like 2

Welcome 

Moving into your new Oliver is tent camping on steroids. As with tent camping you bring certain things to make camping comfortable. Oliver  supplies you a great starter kit.  Bring things that you would use at home. Not to much. You’ll start up loading everything then with experience you’ll use and take less. Lately i have been going to Gander outdoor for rv supplies. There are many Rv supply stores, even Walmart. As with everyone who first starts out its a learning experience. It’s all part of the fun of camping.  Good luck with your new Oliver the most important part, have safe travels and enjoy.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Happy to see you joining the ownership family.

We are are hosts that show our trailer (Hull 505- Galway Girl) and have some resources to share.

We've had many questions during our  pre-purchase visits so we've built a wish list for
Oliver Owners in Amazon called the Oliver Trailer Outfitter.

You can find the list on amazon at this link:  http://a.co/2v3Fpz8

If you look at the little description box to the right and above each picture on the list, I describe specifics about the item with respect to our Oliver trailers.

For example if you get the front basket accessory, consider using the 24 Gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer as it fits perfectly into that basket and can hold wheel chocks, and other hookup accessories.

1117239236_OliverStorageBasket.thumb.jpg.7f2a4eb6ec1277da4c2b4eecea24a04e.jpg

image.png.6f895d5dae1cc9f464722f8741b003e0.pngimage.png.81ef148dfb3da305a5dcca34ed904954.png

You can buy many of these items directly from Amazon,  e-trailer, or through various brick and mortar stores like Walmart, Tractor Supply, Coastal, Ace HW, etc.  7CFD3CA3-E32B-43BE-9FD4-4DD7488BA6C6.jpeg

If you want to see our BLOG for our journey to pickup our Hull 505 last August 2019...check that out here.

https://4-ever-hitched.com/

Craig & Rose Short

Oliver Storage Basket.jpg

Edited by ctshort09
Showing basket & dimensions
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Here's a word document template to build your own Oliver Supplies Checklist:

Quick Supply List.docx

image.thumb.png.a51549ae94622f2772461647c37d2dae.png

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Welcome. Not a long time to wait. Hope the weather is good for your delivery.

You asked about chocks. I like the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight, if you have a store nearby. Often on sale at 5.99, with the 20 per cent off coupon, 5 bucks. 

I'm thinking about the things we take each year, or buy, when we deliver new rvs. Throw rugs. An inside and outside walkoff mats. 2 x 6 cutoffs for leveling. A melitta type pourover cone to make coffee without electricity.  A fry pan, a saucepan, a couple good knives, cutting board, aluminum foil and a few plastic bags. A few bits of plates, knives, forks, kitchen utensils, including corkscrew and can opener. A small trash can. Trash bags. A small broom and dust pan. Scrubbies and scrub brush. A notebook, and pens that work. Bedding,  including pillows. And a nice warm duvet or quilt. Towels . Meds and hygiene items.

A small tool kit, including duct tape, a multitip screwdriver, small socket set. A hatchet. Utility knife. 

A couple folding chairs to sit outside. Credit cards. Good Sam's roadside insurance card. A couple flashlights . Batteries. Inline water filter.  Not a lot of stuff. 

Maybe take a small electric cube heater, since it's February,  depending on your direction of travel, and if you'll have hookups. 

I'd probably carry a gallon of rv antifreeze, just in case, which you should be able to buy in Hohenwald. But, something I like to keep around in shoulder season.

Specifically for the Oliver, a collar lock for the bulldog hitch. Tire pressure monitor system if you have a bit of a distance, or add it ar home .

The longer we travel, the less extra stuff I carry. Honestly. The rest I can buy along the way, if we actually need it.

We picked up in February 2008. It wasn't warm, but it wasn't freezing cold, either. Driving back to Tampa, via the panhandle, we didn't need a lot.

We'll look forward to your photos. Don't overpack, and enjoy the ride.

Sherry 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

And exactly what is that corkscrew for?

Seriously, there is a Tractor Supply and a WalMart less than a mile from the Oliver plant and less than two miles from the Sales Office.  If you forget anything and/or need something at the last minute, you can usually get it.

We also picked up in February and the weather was chilly and very wet - no snow though.  Unfortunately, the campground we stayed at for the first night was very muddy and my beautiful, clean, shiny nice new Oliver was covered in mud.  Luck was in the cards though and the campground for the second night allowed me to get most of that dirt off.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I've come to the conclusion that every Oliver Owner, has a list of stuff that is a must have, only to discover, many miles and weeks down the road - after they have repeatably moved the items out of the way, just to put them back- again, that we end up with less of this, and a few more of that.....

In a nut shell, it will sort it self out - eventually.  As some have suggested, start out with a minimal list, and add as you go, wally world is always near by, as are the other supply it all stores.

Enjoy your Oliver, don't sweat the small things.

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Hi ctshort109 Galway Girl

I am hoping you can help me out. 

Thanks for posting the items.  We are new to RVing and are preparing for a 3 month trip south that will end at the Oliver Rally in May.  This list is a big help.

I was reviewing your post above with the storage bin.  I would like to get one of these for our Oliver II hull 537.  I was looking at the Rubbermaid bin.  Both the 36 quart and 24 quart dimensions from the Amazon site seem larger than the dimensions of our Oliver basket.  I was wondering what model/size you have.  Would you know if the manufacturer dimensions are for the base that looks smaller than the lid.  For us the 24 quart seemed close but just a little large.  Thanks Matt #537 Beacon.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Overland said:

Susan, you might also check out this thread.  There are a lot of good posts there about what people carry and how they store it all.  

Thanks for that catch. Good thread that bears rereading.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 6:12 AM, Mark & Susan said:

My husband & I are in the process of having our Elite II Ollie built. The expected delivery is in February.

Ram 1500 4x4

We just secured a build date for a 2021 Elite II - expected delivery date Feb 3.  Wondering how your delivery went . . . . .  where did you travel from to Tennessee and how was the weather?

We will be coming from SW Oregon - planning to take I-5 south to I-40 (2600+ miles).  Road conditions permitting, an alternate route will be through Reno/Las Vegas.

Edit: Our build date has been bumped up so we will be picking up our Oliver on December 7 - not such a long wait! 😀  So, I'll rephrase my question.  I'm hoping the weather will be better in the first part of December as opposed to the first part of February.  We hope to make the journey, both ways via I-40 for the majority of the eastbound trip.  Would appreciate comments from those who have traveled cross-country that time of year and suggested overnight stop overs (on the trip to Hohenwald) and more leisurely stops on the return.

We will be driving an F-350, 4wd, so not worried about the trip out.  Just hoping higher elevations along I-40 are not to treacherous that time of year (Flagstaff and Albuquerque) as well as from Reno north to Oregon.  Would like to avoid S. California, if possible and crossing the Sierras - Reno to I-5 via Susanville (Hwys 395/44 is our route of choice as we have relatives in Redding).

Edited by Susan Huff
Rescheduled delivery date

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, BackofBeyond said:

I've come to the conclusion that every Oliver Owner, has a list of stuff that is a must have, only to discover, many miles and weeks down the road - after they have repeatably moved the items out of the way, just to put them back- again, that we end up with less of this, and a few more of that.....

In a nut shell, it will sort it self out - eventually.  As some have suggested, start out with a minimal list, and add as you go, wally world is always near by, as are the other supply it all stores.

Enjoy your Oliver, don't sweat the small things.

RB

I have gone on a few multiple month bicycle trips carrying everything and each trip I carry less.   The first trip I had so much that I couldn't close the panniers completely.   So,  you're right,  go with the minimum. 

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png