Atwood furnace

MaryRn

Hello and Help!  My new atwood furnace will not ignite.  When hubby turns it on it blow cold air and then cuts off. We tried to turn it off and on many times like the instructions say but ...nothing.  We have been using shore power since we had a new furnace installed in Nov.  We used it for about 2 weeks before we hooked it up to power. Now we are ready to roll and no heat. The gas stove works just fine.  If anyone has any suggestions....thanks in advance. Mary Rn

• Moderators

Well, you said you're on shore power, so low power limiting isn't the factor. Plus , your blower comes on 

Any of you with the newer furnace with ideas?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I don’t have an Atwood, but the rapid cycling maybe due to a combustion air blockage - if the “sail switch” doesn’t activate, with adequate airflow, then the board will not let the ignitor operate. Get a strong light and see if there is any obvious blockage in either outside port. Check with your hand to see if there is any air flowing out the exhaust port.

Other possibilities are a failed part- a bad sail switch, control board or ignitor.

This is assuming that there is adequate 12 volt dc power to the furnace; very low voltage will affect things.

Lots of possibilities .... unfortunately. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...

Thermostat works on A/C and heater strip.  Thermostat is flaky and does not want to turn on heater.  Left thermostat on OFF last night and when I returned this morning heater was running and it was 75 degrees in the camper (with thermostat off).  Does anyone have any ideas? I called Dometic and was told to try it without the cover on the thermostat..it was already working, just not on heat. But I pulled the cover off and the whole readout went nutty..it was reading 9 degrees and then flipping to 23 degrees. I put cover back on.   I called Cindy at Oliver and she said to let it alone and maybe it would reset.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

• Moderators

Your thermostat serms to be reading Celsius,  and you need to reset to Farenheit.  Do you have a manual?

If not, look up conversion tables.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We don't have the newer furnace. Folks who do, do you have an issue with "auto" setting? I seem to remember that in other posts. 

Is there a manual  heat setting that makes the furnace work properly? Off, gives nan 75 f, which is about 24 c.

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks Sherry and Seadog.  I do not have a manual, but found one online that is similar to the thermostat I have.  So, I am going to give their instructions a try and see what happens before I rip out this thermostat and install another one.  I could understand a faulty thermostat if all features were not working, but two out of three are working.  

22 minutes ago, Nan said:

Thanks Sherry and Seadog.  I do not have a manual, but found one online that is similar to the thermostat I have.  So, I am going to give their instructions a try and see what happens before I rip out this thermostat and install another one.  I could understand a faulty thermostat if all features were not working, but two out of three are working.  

Speak to Jason directly at service. There is a reset for the thermostat by holding two buttons at the same time. Sorry I forgot which ones they were,

Edited by Landrover

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 4 weeks later...

I am finally biting the bullet and have called a service tech on my Atwood heater.  I changed out the thermostat and it still will not work. I was told by the original owner that this was a new heater and I know it is a new thermostat.  I am sick of spending time on it.  Also will hopefully have the Dexter bolts checked for proper torque.  Also will ask why the hot water heater on/off switch is frozen in the on position. I am a little discouraged.

RV Tech said the heater did not have enough wires going to it to ever work.  Also since the power had been on the control board constantly, he said it was burned up.  He ordered another board, but it is back ordered and it will be at least 2 weeks before it comes in.  And there is an add-on fuse behind the panel in the breaker box that is above the nite stand..so, there you go..it definitely was not a thermostat problem, but a wiring problem.  This did not happen at the Oliver factory because the AC and heater were replaced by the previous owner.

12 hours ago, Nan said:

RV Tech said the heater did not have enough wires going to it to ever work.  Also since the power had been on the control board constantly, he said it was burned up.  He ordered another board, but it is back ordered and it will be at least 2 weeks before it comes in.  And there is an add-on fuse behind the panel in the breaker box that is above the nite stand..so, there you go..it definitely was not a thermostat problem, but a wiring problem.  This did not happen at the Oliver factory because the AC and heater were replaced by the previous owner.

I would look for another tech.  If it was running before, his statement about "not enough wires running to ever work" is obviously bogus.   I'd start looking for a more reputable repair shop.

• Thanks 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had the heater repaired.  The tech said that it was wired wrong and that since it had power going to it all the time the main board burned up.  He installed a new board and replaced the fuse and all is working just fine. Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Did he change any wiring? 

Glad you have this resolved.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

He added a wire, but I am totally ignorant about any of this, so I will ask him about that wire.  And there is that add on fuse that is behind the breaker panel above the nite stand that he found.  I do not know what that is for either.  All of this happened because the prior owner wanted all of the fiberglass out of the ducks because of her allergies. But, I do not understand why she replaced the brand new Oliver installed air conditioner and heater.  I have the paperwork that shows who and when it was done.  I am glad this has been resolved because it has been a trip. I now have a perfectly good thermostat that I will send to anyone that needs it.  

• Moderators

Nan, I know I was one of those who suggested a thermostat problem. Sorry, but that's what it sounded like. At least your new one can be adjusted with your phone?

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks for commenting Sherry. You helped me out a lot.  Yep, even the service guy had not seen the Bluetooth one and he a service tech for them.  I was a little worried about him because I had not heard from him in a couple of weeks (after he received the board), but found out his wife went into premature labor and that stopped his world.  Anyway, like I said, if anyone needs a new thermostat please just let me know.  I will send it to you free of charge.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks, Nan. But it just sounded like it. My daughter had an ac issue this week, frozen thermostat, batteries good, weird signals, wouldn't reset . Ac tech changed out thermostat, and it's all good. For which I  am grateful,  as her company has sent everyone home to work, and her thermostat was stuck in the 80s. And, it's hot here in Florida. 

Take care, and I  am so happy you found a good tech to fix the install of the new furnace of the previous owners.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4