Suggestions for location(s) near the South rim of the Grand Canyon

hobo

Been researching where to drop anchor somewhere in the Williams area of AZ for a few days in April but not finding anything that is highly recommended.  I will contact the folks at Kalib National Forest but it looks like they don't open up until early May and we're planning on being in AZ in mid to late April.  A friend suggested a KOA in Williams but the reviews suck and it looks like the RV parks around that area are literally paved parking lots. 

We want electric and water.

Williams, AZ is only a "potential" area of interest.  We're open to other suggestions within the region as well.  We'll simply drop anchor somewhere and then venture out from there to see the sights within the region coming back each evening to the trailer wherever it is.

After we depart northern AZ, we're heading down to Catalina State Park near Tucson but would likely stay somewhere around Phoenix first if someone suggests something of interest. 

Any suggestions from some of you more seasoned campers?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

A couple of recommendations around Phoenix: Lost Dutchman State Park on the north east side and White Tank Mountain County Park on the north west side. We’ve been here at Catalina State Park since last week and are heading to Lost Dutchman this afternoon. We stayed at White Tank Mountain last year. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

A couple of recommendations around Phoenix: Lost Dutchman State Park on the north east side and White Tank Mountain County Park on the north west side. We’ve been here at Catalina State Park since last week and are heading to Lost Dutchman this afternoon. We stayed at White Tank Mountain last year. Mike

I've heard good things about Catalina State Park.  Your thoughts?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

We stayed at Catalina State Park in early December and enjoyed it. Beautiful views of the Catalinas, numerous nice hiking trails. In spite of the entrance to the park being directly across from a shopping center it’s quiet. Bathrooms were clean. If WiFi is needed the antenna is located near the restroom in loop B (we stayed in Loop A near the restroom and the signal was zero to unusable).  Pics from our stay in Catalina below.

While Picacho Peak State Park is close to the highway and therefore has some noise, it is a very clean park and if you like hiking it has some beautiful (and challenging) hiking trails.

I haven’t stayed at Lost Dutchman, but I can vouch for the views. I live 10 minutes from the park!

8EE47245-EAA9-471B-9C5F-9966D022F34C.jpeg

D111F34E-FF36-4735-9D1D-1C8D889EF7A4.jpeg

• Like 1

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

• Moderators
10 hours ago, hobo said:

I've heard good things about Catalina State Park.  Your thoughts?

It’s very nice. Right across the highway from a new, upscale shopping center but you wouldn’t know it.  It’s quiet with nice hiking trails.  This was our site:

63B49C50-C982-49FA-93E9-19517D7AEF31.thumb.jpeg.546f13e4a9d8e54dfe64a13af23a57d4.jpeg

Our site here at Lost Dutchman State Park near Phoenix.  Also nice.

68AA54BD-DBF1-4B4B-8C22-8B2A0D98D1D9.thumb.jpeg.286e88b498cca60804eb28d3c5198433.jpeg

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Do you not want to overnight at Grand Canyon? There are two reservable campgrounds there at the South Rim, the one that is privately operated has hookups, the NP one does not. These are open year round.

I cannot comment on their current status since the last time I stayed was two nights in January 1980. It was chilly - around 0  to +10 degrees.. The roughly insulated van inside temperature dropped below freezing each night in spite of a little box heater running full bore. The cooler froze solid each night, but it was near the side door. 

Flagstaff is a way cool town except a main railroad runs right through it so there are frequent road blockages and loud whistles. The planetarium there is well worth a visit. 

You need to get low down that time of year if you want lots of camping, the high elevations remain snowed in for a long time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.