DougI / TNGirl tow ratings moved to CAMPERS

mountainborn

• Moderators

by DougI on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Tn girl wrote:

Hi, I am going to buy a travel trailer in the near future. I have been doing my research and have narrowed it down to the Casita and Oliver. My question is, I have a 2007 3.8L V6 263 horsepower Kia Sorento. Will my vehicle be able to pull this trailer. I have the draw tite towing package on my Suv. But my towing capacity is only 5,000lbs. Can someone help me.

Moderator's note: I believe this is a duplicate post. Please look to "Hello all" for replies. Thanks!

Seadawg/Sherry

With a 5,000 towing capacity, I see no reason you could not tow a 17 foot Oliver, fully equipped, which would weigh somewhere between 3,500 and 4,000 pounds, depending on how much stuff you put in it and on how much water you carry in your fresh water tank while towing.

I have a Toyota RAV4 with a factory towing package, 269 HP V6, and I decided not to tow the Oliver with it, due to a towing capacity of 3,500 pounds and a tongue weight limitation of 350 pounds. So, I decided to get a new tow vehicle with plenty of extra towing and cargo capacity (room for the things I want to take but have no room in the Oliver for). Things like lawn chairs, generator(s), gas can full of gas, folding bicycles, air compressor, extra clothes and footwear that won't fit in the Oliver, an outdoor grill and propane bottle, tent, day packs and backpacks, screen shelter, tool box, chocks, extra food and personal items, spare parts for the tow vehicle and the Oliver, and so on. These items can add up to a lot of weight and the Oliver has no outside storage bins, so you have to carry all this stuff in your tow vehicle (or leave most of it at home), which lessens your towing capacity by their total weight.

If you tow in the mountains, keep in mind that the engine power of all gas engines decreases significantly at higher elevations, during a time when you need the most power from your engine. I think you will be fine if you watch your weight carefully. The easiest way to do this is to travel with only a few gallons of water in your fresh water tank.2009 Oliver Legacy Elite, Hull number 0037.

Tow vehicle is a 2003 Silverado 1500, 5.3L V8, LT, 4X4, Quadrasteer, extended cab, with full factory towing package.

Reside near Lexington, Texas (Central Texas, 45 miles east of Austin).

Thanks DOUGI, a good explination !

MODERATOR'S NOTE: I tried to untangle this thread. Somehow it was in the welcome forum and needed to be in the campers forum. It is an informative subject and will be of use to many. Puting it where more folks can find it will likely help. Thanks to Sherry and Pete for helping while Betty and I were in Hot Springs.

mountainborn

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

We have an Explorer V6 with I think, 210 HP, 5000 towing capacity. It works fine on the flats (lower elevation), but is a bit underpowered when going up long mountain grades. Get behind a truck on a steep incline above 7500 feet and it really has to work hard to build up speed to pass (two lanes each way). We'll probably upgrade to a small V8 in the spring. Your tow vehicle will be adequate at lower elevations, but you'll probably regret it at higher elevations. (We live in CO).

Tn girl, I wouldn't call it the perfect combination, but I don't see anything unsafe with what you are proposing. The Oliver Elite has a max weight of 4500 lbs., and you'd have a tough time exceeding that. Like you, I'm towing with a truck-platform SUV with a relatively short wheelbase, and I can tell you that the ride gets a bit bouncy on rough roads. Not sure what your towing package includes, but you'll need a standard 7-pin plug and a brake controller if you don't have that already.

Herm