Need Thoughts On The Base Model

snowgypsy

While upgrades and add-ons are great, I am wondering how much more is really necessary to add to the base model.   I don't question whether or not the value for the money is there, but our position is more that an Oliver would be a "nice" to have than an absolute necessity.  I know many options are things that can be added aftermarket if one decides they are necessary.  We are very familiar with the conventional RVs from pop-up to travel trailers having had 9 of them, and are now shopping for something that will serve us in our retirement years, and are looking very seriously at the lineup of fiberglass molded TTs.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this decision on a unit is making my head spin!  Thank you.

• Moderators

I don't mean this as a "cop out", but, your answer mainly depends on exactly how you plan to use your camper.  If you never camp without electrical hook-ups then you may believe that the solar option is simply not necessary.  If you don't plan on extended Boondocking trips then a composting toilet is questionable.  If you don't "need" the instant gratification that an on-demand water heater gives you then the standard water heater will do just fine.  If you don't do a fair amount of winter camping then a 30 pound propane tank is probably not necessary.  If you never listen to the radio or watch "local" TV then the standard antenna is OK.

I could go on but only you can decide the "need" for a particular option as it pertains to how you will plan to use your camper.  Of course there is the re-sale value of the camper to consider also, but, I would not let that sway my thinking too much.  Finally, for most options, the cost of adding options later is higher than including them in the original build.

If there is an Oliver owner near you then I'd recommend sitting down with them and go over each option you are considering.  Listen to why they did (or did not) get that option and determine if the reasoning makes sense for your situation.

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill said it very well, your intended use will determine which options, if any, will be of value to you. Tell us where and how you plan you use the trailer, and we can offer suggestions as to which options you might want to consider. If you plan to keep the trailer for a very long time, resale value will not be as important than if you think you will sell it in a couple of years.

You mention in another post that you are in Kansas. Do you plan to do a lot of shoulder- season camping in the Western states? Do you want to boondock?

Please fill out your profile so others know where you are.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Agree with Bill and John. Options depend on how you camp and how you travel. Solar/batteries is the big one. If you do any dry camping, boondocking or even overnighting at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc, solar is very useful. The regular hot water tank has served us well, but the tankless is popular. Same with the Natures Head toilet, great for boondocking. It sounds like you are seasoned campers so you know your style. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Looking at Oliver’s current option list, I don’t think that there’s anything on there that would be impossible to add later, but of course that depends largely on how handy you are, and how much time you might want to spend on your own adding options. That, or how much you’re willing to pay Oliver to add them later.  Certainly if you’re capable of doing the work, then you can do them for a good bit less than what Oliver charges, and depending on your skill and your product choice, maybe even end up with something nicer - just factor in the cost of your time and the loss of any warranty related to your additions. 

As far as my personal biases go, I’d say the easiest option to forgo would be the WiFi or cell boosters. Those are a pretty easy DIY and personally I think there are better options than what Oliver sells.  Plus we’ll all probably be using satellite service in a few years anyway.  One thing I’m very glad I had Oliver add was our second awning. That’s something that I’d be unlikely to try to tackle on my own and its one of those things that you don’t really appreciate until you’ve experienced it.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

Don’t forget if Oliver installs it, it will carry their warranty and that is worth a lot.  

I chose to install solar myself to save some money.  I must say for the time and aggravation, I don’t think it was worth it and wished I had Oliver install it.

Andrew

Edited by AndrewK
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

Thank you everyone, and your posts do make sense.  We did review the spec sheet for one of the units that did list the options/add-ons (inventory unit), and I did attempt to do an "About You" on the profile.  We are delayed when it comes to making specific predictions on what we will be doing do to life with an adult child with developmental disabilities and what seems to be infinite issues with getting residential services for him.  

We spent 6 years living in the rural area outside of Tucson, AZ where we learned about snowbirding and full-timing, that was 30 years ago!  We are currently in Emporia, KS, not a top choice of places to be, and just trying to figure "it" out.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback.  I'll get back to the thread when we can define better what we are planning to do.

Cathy

• Moderators

Cathy, Carol and I are both native Kansans (Pittsburg and Leavenworth). Carol graduated from Emporia State so we know the area well. This forum is a great resource to help in your decision process. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

We have pretty much the base model Elite II, our options are the Confection Microwave, Bicycle Rear Rack, LP Quick Disconnects. We went with the standard white counter tops and black dinette table top, all colors picked from the standard interiors colors offered at no addition cost. Our colors were all in the gray/black colors and the white counter tops are so good looking in the trailer they should have charged $1800 extra for them. I purchased the Anderson WDH online for $479.00 including shipping and I installed it myself at the camping ground in 30 mins., I also brought with me the extra lengths and the chain  quick lengths needed to add the extra chain. We added no other electronics that were offered as I felt for our type of camping they were not needed and in most cases are iffy if they work in camping conditions, we also did not op for the solar stuff, if we need extra power I would go the Honda Generation route, but no electricity available we probably won't be camping there. We also purchased a 3" memory foam queen size mattress $130 from Walmart, cut if down the middle and it sleep wonderful. Now sounds like I'm really cheap, not really, if spending another $10,000 on the Oliver was what we wanted we would have added other options without any second thoughts. PS, we don't Boondock, we believe in keeping the local economy going.

trainman

Edited by Trainman
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.