Slopping Awning

Kgeb

So we have used our awning maybe 5 times since we purchased 441 less than a year ago. We were camping locally this weekend when my husband said the awning is sloping left.  We got home and opened the awning and it really slopes and doesn’t close completely on the left.  We have used this sweet camper only 4 times due to a hectic 2019. Take a look at this video and tell us what you think? Oh we never noticed a sloping before.

The angle of the awning is dependent upon the supporting structure.  You may want to extend it and then measure the sides and compare the results.  

The locking tabs for the side structural (supports) can be adjusted to increase or decrease the side supports..  Generally it is a good idea not to have it flat in either the side to side or the fore and aft directions.  By having transverse slope both ways, heavy rains are handled with less force on both the fabric and the structural members.  This may be what you are seeing.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I have not seen an Oliver awning that didn't slope some, at least on the newer ones that don't have the support poles. I purchase the Green Elephant Tent Poles form Amazon for $49.00. They do telescope way down and come with a bag for storage, plus two different top post for different uses. I did drill a small hole in each end of the awing and put in a rubber grommet with a 1/4" hole in the center, just the correct size for the GE Poles to fit into. These poles allow you the level your awing and also help stabilize your awning in the wind, they can also be staked if needed. I'm totally happy with the results and have showed this mode to other Oliver owners at rallies and camp grounds.   https://www.amazon.com/s?k=green+elephant+telescoping+tarp+poles+set+of+2&ref=nb_sb_noss

trainman

Edited by Trainman
  • Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We picked up our Oliver Hull 505 in Aug 2019.   It has on the Dometic 9500E Electric Door Side awning.
Oliver University, and my physical user manuals didn't match the remote we have.
Our remote looks like this below and the correct (3/2019 version) awning installation and operation manuals are attached.

The installation manuals show how to adjust the slope of the awning, and also how to make sure the front of the awning is parallel to the main body of the awning.  (That's very important to make sure the awning rolls aligned and smootly).

208680489_RemoteforDometicAwningHull505.jpg.c97c094d9232de104ad0348af45fb98d.jpg

I'm dealing with a different problem where the awning won't fully retract.   
It sticks out about 1/2 in from fully seated as in the pix below:

1088978445_awningerr_LI.thumb.jpg.db6952b51f14fc16447c906407e58a62.jpg

There are motor adjustment screws at the front of the awning that are hard to reach and require a special hex tool.
These are used to adjust the motor close point.  (In previous generations of the case awnings this was done via "remote control button pushes.)

1016573208_CloseLimit.jpg.b72d03acd218b2cf011c284137f19fdb.jpg

I'm working with Service to figure this out...and I may need to build a special hex tool for this by modifying a standard hex key.
The clearances to get in to this adjustment are VERY tight as the adjustment holes actually are facing the body of the trailer when mounted. 

More if I succeed.

Hoping to NOT have to take it to a Dometic repair dealer,  as the first one I was referred to by Oliver Support said they were "frankly not interested working on a trailer not bought at their dealership."

9500E Operation 3316982.000.pdf 9500E Case Awning Install 3316981.000.pdf

Edited by ctshort09

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Wow, Ct, that's sad. I suspect Dometic wouldn't be very happy to hear that an authorized warranty repair facility didn't want to work on your trailer.

Frankly, I've never heard that response before. My local Dometic dealer, Campingworld in New Port Richey, was really gracious and thorough in working through my Dometic fridge issues years ago. 

So sorry. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I'm taking the trailer to a local repair facility today Poulsboro RV in Everett WA.
They are one of the largest RV and Dometic dealers in the area and said they would work on the issue for us.

I'll coordinate between Oliver Factory Support and the local service center on this one and report back results.

*Results* -   Took trailer to a local dealership Poulbro RV where they successfully did the awning motor adjustment for free. 
The awning now retracts fully into the case.   That dealer also did the Dexter Axle recall for free. 
I had them do my wheel bearing repack since it was time for that to happen.  

Hunting the Mystery Dometic TOOL = The dealer said that Dometic Awnings motor adjustment require a flexible tool with hex key end.  They also said that tool was provided to dealers by Dometic within the installation kits of awnings. I'm trying to find out what tool that actually is...and get one so if this happens again I don't have to drag the trailer to a dealer.   I put the question to Jason in service.  I'll update this if I find the answer to the mystery.  If anyone is doing a factory tour...see if you can spot one during the tour and take a picture.

Edited by ctshort09
Added follow on text.
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Kgeb said:

Just an update since I have seen the above posts.  It was a screw adjustment and it works like a charm now

Question which adjustment screw? And how many turns in or out?  I have the manual awning with the same problem. I found that when it closed I retract it 1-2 turns then back in. Awning closes completely.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
On 2/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, ctshort09 said:

*Results* -   Took trailer to a local dealership Poulbro RV where they successfully did the awning motor adjustment for free. 
The awning now retracts fully into the case.   That dealer also did the Dexter Axle recall for free. 
I had them do my wheel bearing repack since it was time for that to happen.  

It sounds like you have a really good local dealer!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS