AGM or flooded batteries

katanapilot

Just wondering if anyone has experience using the now-provided Brightway batteries versus the Trojans that used to be installed on the Oliver.  I was going to get the AGM option, but for the same or less money I can probably install Trojan batteries and sell the Brightways.

Also has anyone kept the flooded batteries and installed a watering system?  Flooded batteries perform and last better than AGM's generally, but I'm bad about keeping them watered.

• Moderators

Back when Oliver had the 4 Trojan lead acid batteries as "standard" with the solar package I decided to get those versus the AGM's. Plus I got the Trojan watering system.  This watering system has worked very well and makes that project extremely easy.  However, in hind sight I wish that I had simply ordered the AGM's - the total cost would have been about the same and the extra amp hours that the lead acid's have given me were really not needed.  I've never been below 82% full on my batteries!  So - particularly since you are "bad about keeping them watered" plus my experience I would simply go with the lead acid's.

Regarding the Brightway's - I have no experience.  I'd love to get lithium batteries but I'm going to wait until my Trojan's die before seriously going down that road.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks.  A bit disappointed that both the tires and batteries have changed for 2020 vs. 2019 (not for the better IMO).   The Brightways are a no-name foreign made battery, so I'm probably going to just go with the supplied batteries until they die and replace them with Battle Born LiFePO4 or Trojan AGM's.