Proven Industries Hitch Lock

Ronb

I have one I purchased last summer for our former camper which was not an Ollie. It’s a very well built strong heavy lock. I am confident it would likely cause a thief to move on to an easier target. If you decide on one don’t ever loose the keys. It’s a very pricey coupler lock at 210.00 plus shipping. It mounts up quickly and efficiently. They have a few interesting videos on their website of how quickly other competitor coupler locks are quickly defeated. Hope this helps.

Congrats on the Ollie!!  My wife and I are on schedule today with Anita for the Ollie factory tour mid morning. Chilly here..@23 degrees and 37 the high.. Brrrrrrrr!!! 

David 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I have the Proven lock, and I'm using it now since our Elite II is sitting in the yard in winter storage.  A very heavy duty lock, and it's a very HEAVY lock.   You'll be shocked at how much it weighs, but it's probably the best solution for securing the Bulldog coupler.  It is a little awkward to get it installed and get the lock attached, especially if your hitch is sitting low to the ground after you level your trailer.   But it's definitely a very secure lock for the Bulldog hitch.   Note though that you will need another hitch lock to use while you're actually towing.  I have this collar style for the Bulldog and use a disc lock with it while towing.

"The Collar" Trailer Hitch Lock for Bulldog-style Couplers (Including the RAM)

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Yes - been using it since we picked up our Oliver II in Aug 2019.

It's been in the rain a bunch and no rust and functions as advertised.

box.thumb.jpg.efd54bd2952097464d86382a0c7d8b32.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

I have a question that might be silly, but I have not had my Ollie delivered yet. I have also looked at these trailer locks, they look very secure. What is to stop someone from simply unbolting the Bulldog hitch completely at those two rear bolts and bolt on a new hitch to drive it away? Is there something i'm missing here? That process shouldn't take more than about 3 minutes. Maybe i'm being paranoid, should I also have a wheel lock, or the axle chained to a large tree. Not that I have problems with theft in my neck of the woods, but the Ollie is a 75k investment. 

Yes, if there is a thief wandering around with a spare hitch that fits the Ollie frame/bolt pattern, mounting hardware and tools, then yes, they could unbolt your hitch and bolt on a new one, but that means they are probably specifically targeting your Ollie trailer and would need to make the investment in the new hitch and tools to do it.  No system is completely theft-proof.  The point is to slow the thief down or make it so much trouble that they find an easier target.   But at least the Proven lock used on the Bulldog can't be defeated by a simple pair of bolt cutters that most thieves carry.   Other cheaper hitch locks are 10 seconds or less to defeat with bolt cutters.  

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 2

Yes, people could also just use the tow chains and a platform to make a lash up to tow the trailer away.

Mostly the locks are helpful in keeping people from picking your rig over others that don't have any security.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle

In the picture of  Hull 505, the Checkered Tape is there so the  F150 backup assist camera can see and register that the trailer is attached.

Normally tape would only be on the flat tongue surface, but the latch mechanism blocks the tailgate camera view, thus the piece going up the storage basket.

Once registered, the backup assist makes backing up easier and more precise. While not absolutely necessary,  that backup assist is a great help when trying to back around corners and into tight spaces.

That feature is now available on 2020 F250 HD trucks.

Edited by ctshort09
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 8:30 AM, FrankC said:

I have the Proven lock, and I'm using it now since our Elite II is sitting in the yard in winter storage.  A very heavy duty lock, and it's a very HEAVY lock.   You'll be shocked at how much it weighs, but it's probably the best solution for securing the Bulldog coupler.  It is a little awkward to get it installed and get the lock attached, especially if your hitch is sitting low to the ground after you level your trailer.   But it's definitely a very secure lock for the Bulldog hitch.   Note though that you will need another hitch lock to use while you're actually towing.  I have this collar style for the Bulldog and use a disc lock with it while towing.

FrankC I will have the same combo locks as your set up. You are right, the Proven lock is a boat anchor but IMO the best coupler lock sold. I had one on a previous camper. It’s a very tough lock. I can’t imagine ever loosing the key(s).
Most importantly I want my insurer to know I have done my absolute level best to secure our Ollie. As with my last camper I took photos of my security systems and made sure they had photos. Just me. After a very long 36 year career in law enforcement I can honestly say I never took a report of a stolen camper. Not to say it does not ever happen, surely it does. In my experience well run campgrounds are usually pretty safe places to camp. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

When camping, petty theft is definitely more of a concern, though even that seems rare.  Still, it’s natural to worry and if a hitch lock eases some anxiety, then of course get one.  On the other hand, if you aren’t able to store your trailer in a fairly secure place while not traveling, then a hitch lock and perhaps a wheel lock of some sort are certainly good precautions.  Many people also get a GPS monitor and set up a geofence alert when they store their trailer.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 5:30 AM, FrankC said:

I have this collar style for the Bulldog and use a disc lock with it while towing.

The Collar has worked very well for me, I like it. I do caution about disc locks. Many are garbage and most crooks know it from watching the YouTube picking videos. It is certainly better than a clevis pin, but only marginally. The German made Abus disc locks are good. If it came from U-haul or a storage facility, toss it!

You can spend a fortune on a high quality lock, I settled on this hardened pick resistant Stanley. It is very heavy duty and looks intimidating. Bolt cutters won’t touch it. Cost is reasonable for what you get.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V5IYT2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=unitedlocks20-20&linkId=25f7d0bcd04bdade42aacad06c0419ad

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

When I feel the need to secure the OTT (rarely), a high quality lock and chain passed through the wheel holes is my attempt to deter thieves. Satisfying the insurance company I made an attempt to secure our property, is likely crucial in a theft claim, but I've never had a claim so speak from zero experience.

If a thief really wants your stuff, most locking devices are easily over come with knowledge and tools. But I hope one would look at the chain/lock set-up and move on to an easier target.

Destroying the door or breaking windows in order to access/steal stuff inside is more of a concern. Big dog deterrents
are stalking the perimeter during most off-grid camping days.

Links to the sources I used. I prefer manufacturer approved distributors/dealers, simply because of the counterfeit/fake stuff prevalent on the big market sites. YMMV 

10ft chain: PEWAG Security Chain

Lock: ABUS Lock

I've also purchased locks from these reputable folks: Taylor Security

Joni and the new Kangal puppies from Olympicdog-23 Apr 2013 (2).jpg

20160426_125007.jpg

ABUS lock and Pewag chain.jpg

Pewag chain and OTT wheel.jpg

20151116_164410.jpg

• Like 1

AZARCACODEGAIDILINIAKSKYMEMDMAMIMNMOMTNE

The chain through the wheels is a great visual deterrent, but what about wrecking the finish on your wheels? Dragging the links through the holes is going to hurt..... I don’t see how it could be avoided.

I sometimes secure camp chairs and such through a wheel, but I use a long Python coated cable lock, which slides through without any damage. The lock itself isn’t very secure, but it is really versatile and has worked so far.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

A few scratches and dings to Ollie are expected as we navigate the graveled western mountain roads and byways in our travels. The minor scuffs on the wheels pale compared to the scratches from tree branches, super highway road rash/dings and mud covered bottom parts after a trip. One can only do so much to protect from real on/off road usage and minor damage. The only way I know to keep the OTT looking new is to not use it...YMMV.

• Like 3

AZARCACODEGAIDILINIAKSKYMEMDMAMIMNMOMTNE

1 hour ago, MontanaOliver said:

A few scratches and dings to Ollie are expected as we navigate the graveled western mountain roads and byways in our travels. The minor scuffs on the wheels pale compared to the scratches from tree branches, super highway road rash/dings and mud covered bottom parts after a trip. One can only do so much to protect from real on/off road usage and minor damage. The only way I know to keep the OTT looking new is to not use it...YMMV.

I respectfully disagree. I doubt if I tow on as much gravel and forest roads as you do, but my trailer stays looking very nice. No damage to the gelcoat, even underneath. No damage to frame or suspension. The wheels stay looking nice. No worries about unexpected construction zones, detours or 30 miles of freshly chip-sealed highways.

Deflecting all the rock carnage away from the trailer is they key. I don’t believe you should accept lots of cosmetic damage as inevitable, because it is not.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2504-how-to-stone-stomper-gravel-guard/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2513-how-to-rear-mud-flaps-for-the-ollie/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2505-how-to-subframe-gravel-guard/

OTH I never tow on wet roads in winter because of the mag chloride on the highways in the West. There is no way to prevent that from destroying the aluminum and stainless parts. I do avoid dragging the trailer down overgrown  tracks, you can’t do anything to prevent brush stripes.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Just so I understand...there are basically two options discussed in this thread. 

The first option comes as a complete set:  https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2178-b

The second option is to get a collar (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HL2NM0K/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_c_TVVjEb0CNR2JA) and a lock (could use either of these, for example:  https://www.amazon.com/20-Diskus-Padlock-Extreme-Security/dp/B004GAN03O/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=abus+20%2F70&qid=1625846042&s=hi&sr=1-5    or    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V5IYT2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=unitedlocks20-20&linkId=25f7d0bcd04bdade42aacad06c0419ad)  

For the second option (collar and lock) - can it be used both then hitched and unhitched?  Or would you just use the lock alone when hitched?  

Thanks!  

• Moderators

The collar lock can be used while hitched or camped. That's why many of us have it. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I also use "The Collar" hitched and unhitched.  I secure the collar with an Abus pick resistant disc lock. On the advice of @John E Davies I put a 2" stainless steel ball bearing in the bulldog while unhitched to prevent someone from simply dropping it on a smaller ball and driving away.  

I am of the same opinion as others who consider a locking mechanism to be nothing more than a deterrent.  With the wide variety of battery operated power tools available these days, if they want it; they will get it.  However, they are going to look for quick and easy targets.  I would also imagine that it would be far more difficult to fence an Oliver than SOB because of their limited numbers.

Of all the hitch locks available on the market today, I would agree that the Proven Industries system appears to be the most difficult to defeat.

• Like 2

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

I do not have the Anderson but I am sure that the collar will work with that system.  It has nothing to do with the locking mechanism on the Bulldog.

All part of the learning process.  The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask.

• Like 1

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tripmushrv said:

Thanks all!  Sorry - total newbie here...one more question about the Collar hitch lock.  It will work with the Anderson hitch, right?  

Yes, it will.  I used the collar lock (with Abus disk lock) on two different trucks (half ton) with the Andersen.  Still using it without the Andersen.  

Keep the questions coming!  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 5:30 AM, Frank C said:

I just bought both locks that you wrote about.  I pick up the trailer in a month.  Thanks for your recommendation.  I do have a stainless steel locking pin to attach the hitch to the tv.  I hope that's all I need.  Proven sells a pin too, but I am not sure how much better it is than mine.

John

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png