Nonexistent Radio Reception

AndrewK

We have a 2019 Elite II with the standard Jensen radio and antenna.  We did not order the TV antenna with the built in radio antenna.

The standard radio antenna is powered and mounts vertically to the interior of the window directly below the radio.

Unless we are in a major metro area, we get no reception at all and have to carry a portable.  We have found that even the most basic handheld radio get far better reception.

Is it the Jensen radio or the antenna?  If it is the antenna, which I suspect, has anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks for the help/advice.

Andrew 

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

That is how mine is.... it works when camped in a town, otherwise it is completely useless. I suggest an amplified unit mounted on the roof if you want decent performance. A higher location is always better. I do not listen to broadcast radio other than for weather reports, just satellite.

FYI I bought a well rated weather alert radio to use while camping in places where storms and tsunamis might happen. Talk about useless. The reception is non-existent with the supplied antenna. I bought an external 25 ft wire antenna intended to be hung from a tree, in case of a true apocalypse. My inReach will receive weather broadcasts, if I choose to pay for that option. That works anywhere on the planet.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

37 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

John,

Do you have a satellite radio in your trailer? 

Andrew

No, just in her car and my truck.  With SiriusXM, though I rarely listen. My wife turns it on.

A sat radio in the trailer would definitely be on my To Do list, if I listened regularly. The news channels would be nice.  And it would be nice to have a  weather alert mode too, for “just in case”. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Reception is probably the biggest reason we did not order any of the electronics in our new 2019 Elite II. As I have read on this forum all electronics are hit and miss and from what I read here most are miss. I won't get into all the upgrades that campers do to try to resolve this problem, but for our style of camping it's just not a big thing for us to have a these options. Sometimes it's just nice to get away from all the electronics that we become a custom to, plus if needed we can always drive to a location that has WiFi and just use our laptop, etc. there. Since we do not Boondock we just don't find not having these features available to us a problem. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
On 1/26/2020 at 12:18 PM, AndrewK said:

John,

Do you have a satellite radio in your trailer? 

Andrew

I installed a Sirius/XM receiver in our trailer and tied it into the Jensen. We get all our music, news and sports anywhere. Tree cover has not been an issue. I got a small discontinued receiver off Amazon for about $25. The antenna is in the attic between the outer hull and the metal backed insulation. Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

I installed a Sirius/XM receiver in our trailer and tied it into the Jensen. We get all our music, news and sports anywhere. Tree cover has not been an issue. I got a small discontinued receiver off Amazon for about $25. The antenna is in the attic between the outer hull and the metal backed insulation. Mike

We have it in our Ram, but not in the trailer, now you give me something else to think about, thanks, trainman

We initially had a problem with our radio on our new 2019 LEII.  I used a inspection camera and confirmed that the antenna was never connected.  I was able to inspect the back of the Jensen to find the right connector and our radio problem was resolved.  

Edited by GraniteStaters
  • Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

Andrew, we have the optional antenna, but I think checking to insure the cable connected is a good first step.  I knew something was up with our radio reception, but until I got to an area where I was confident about the signal for a good FM station that still worked poorly.  I didn't start checking the tuner itself.  You probably should to that if you haven't traced the cable connection to the antenna already.  

• Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

David,

Thanks for the thought but the antenna is connected, for what the standard antenna is worth.  

Even in a major metro area, the receptions is affected by anyone in the area of the driver's side bed.

It is good to hear the optional antenna works!

I don't want to put a hole in the roof so it looks like a portable radio it is.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Edited by AndrewK

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Noodbie......

I think the problem is not the electronics it self .  it is having an effective ground plane for the antenna.  The reason so many Jeeps use a Firestick CB antenna, it does not require a ground plane to be an effective antenna system.   The fiberglass of the trailer does not allow it to become part of the antenna system.  There are several ways to address this issue,   I would consider a ground mat antenna first that would just lay outside.  I am just looking at an Oliver at this point but it would be the type of antenna I would try.  I am a Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) so  this will be on my radar as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dhutcheson said:

Hello,

Noodbie......

I think the problem is not the electronics it self .  it is having an effective ground plane for the antenna.  The reason so many Jeeps use a Firestick CB antenna, it does not require a ground plane to be an effective antenna system.   The fiberglass of the trailer does not allow it to become part of the antenna system.  There are several ways to address this issue,   I would consider a ground mat antenna first that would just lay outside.  I am just looking at an Oliver at this point but it would be the type of antenna I would try.  I am a Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) so  this will be on my radar as well.

Do you have a particular recommendation?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

As I said in another post I'm not a big fan of all those electronics in our trailer, but at home we have it all. Camping we find ourselves not wanting to be connected that much, just our choice, we like the get away feeling. If the tow vehicle has satellite radio and we have our iPhone s we feel we can get the info we need most of the time. We use the laptop when service is available and that also works for us, we have not found we couldn't find out what is going on in the world, so for now, I will stay with what works for us. I sometimes wonder how 40 plus years ago we loaded up the trailer and went camping for two weeks and all we had was the truck radio and probably didn't listen to it too much. All I can really remember about those days was how much fun we had and all the place we visited, it still puts a smile on my face when I think about it.

trainman 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:36 PM, AndrewK said:

I don't have a specific brand. I would look at construction something like the picture below the disc and the radials coming off in different directions making the ground plane larger. There is always a compromise...Less portability, antenna size, antenna height  better reception.  I personally for ham radio plan to go with a simple J pole and Wire antenna. Because I will be transmitting not just receiving. Both are outside antennas with a cord support system, cheap and quick to put up and use with an antenna tuner.  Your solution could be as simple as an alligator clip and a long piece of thin wire. you roll out. I hope to have a better solution when I get an opportunity to see the Oliver first hand. For now it is drooling on a computer screen. 

Do you have a particular recommendation?

Thanks,

Andrew

GM.jpg

• 2 months later...

Is it the consensus that the optional omni-directional antenna does a fair job of picking up FM radio?  We probably wouldn't order it if it was just for TV (though it is nice to pickup local television to know what's going on in the area).  We have one in our van and have used it only once or twice in three years.  If the optional antenna does improve radio reception, I will say "yes" to it.  Also for resale value, though I can't imagine selling such a nice trailer 😁

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

45 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Is it the consensus that the optional omni-directional antenna does a fair job of picking up FM radio?

Fair at best, even when powered on.  I listen to over the air radio at home, work, and in the shop.  The camper has the worst reception of all of the antenna/receiver combinations that I use.  The shop radio has a coat hanger for an antenna, the radio at work has a piece of welding wire, so that’s not saying much.

hth,

Ken

KE0VTG 

Edited by KenB
  • Thanks 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderators

If you are not tv watchers, don't buy an antenna, imo. 

We bought an inexpensive attic type, small flat antenna  that we carry in the cabinet over the bed. I can pick up a few channels if we're 20 to 50 miles from a tower, and it's plenty for us. Just in case we needed it for weather. We don't really use that, either, but it was only $20 or so.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 hours ago, KenB said:

The camper has the worst reception of all of the antenna/receiver combinations that I use.  

hth,

Ken

KE0VTG 

Could the double hull with insulation/reflective material be some of the problem with radio reception?  

I suppose a lot of radio stations stream over the Internet now, anyway.  

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

With the antenna on the exterior of that double hull and insulation any lack of reception is more than likely not due to those two things.

I too do not use the omni-directional antenna very much as I'm not usually camped anywhere near a place where there is any signal.  And, since there is no signal in these places that means that there is usually no cell coverage either (so - no streaming or internet).  Therefore, DVD's and books (both audio and regular) are my friends.  However, while getting to those places I do find that catching up on weather or news or some mindless garbage show  can be helpful. 

As compared to the "old" antennas that you had to wind up and turn to find signals the omni-directional is a blessing.  Also, I do believe that it provides much better reception than the "standard" antenna in that it is in a higher location on the camper and more robust than the standard one.

Bill

Edited by topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

15 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

We probably wouldn't order it if it was just for TV (though it is nice to pickup local television to know what's going on in the area

There are a couple of things to consider beyond the relatively limited reception of the Roadstar omni antenna. First, there is no AM support with this optional antenna so you'll have zero reception in this band.  Maybe not a big deal for most but it is still a viable band for longer range reception and a supported mode of the entertainment system that won't work. Second, the Winegard Roadstar antenna is being, or has been, phased out and replaced by the Air 360 product line with improved performance.  At some point Oliver will have to offer an alternative.

I have one but wouldn't given a do-over. Much better solutions have been suggested. When needed, I use the flat Winegards RAZAR Amplified in a window. For AM/FM, an amplified Jensen Marine windshield antenna is taped to the outer shell in the attic, above insulation. Both solutions work better than the "old" Roadstar mounted on the roof.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, bhncb said:

There are a couple of things to consider beyond the relatively limited reception of the Roadstar omni antenna. First, there is no AM support with this optional antenna so you'll have zero reception in this band.  Maybe not a big deal for most but it is still a viable band for longer range reception and a supported mode of the entertainment system that won't work. Second, the Winegard Roadstar antenna is being, or has been, phased out and replaced by the Air 360 product line with improved performance.  At some point Oliver will have to offer an alternative.

I have one but wouldn't given a do-over. Much better solutions have been suggested. When needed, I use the flat Winegards RAZAR Amplified in a window. For AM/FM, an amplified Jensen Marine windshield antenna is taped to the outer shell in the attic, above insulation. Both solutions work better than the "old" Roadstar mounted on the roof.

I looked at reviews for the Air 360 and it doesn't seem to do any better than Roadstar for radio reception.  Seems that Omni-directional are all show, no go.  At least there is the TV radio. 

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, KenB said:

Fair at best, even when powered on.  I listen to over the air radio at home, work, and in the shop.  The camper has the worst reception of all of the antenna/receiver combinations that I use.  The shop radio has a coat hanger for an antenna, the radio at work has a piece of welding wire, so that’s not saying much.

hth,

Ken

KE0VTG 

I'm trouble shooting my omni-directional antenna and realized it requires 12v power. How do you turn it on? I do not have an obvious switch.