Truma Hot water heater questions

Patriot

wlonghurst has made only two very unhappy posts, in this thread, never to return again.... I wonder if he ever got his Truma working? Has anybody heard by Private Message or otherwise?

Also, two forum members commented on the previous page that “you get an extra five gallons of fresh water” with the standard heater. That is true in theory, but the only way to retrieve that water is to remove the anode (drain) and try to catch it in a bucket. You certainly cannot pump it out with the onboard water pump if the fresh tank is empty. The stuff that comes out will have sediment in it, so it will need to be filtered. I guess if you were dying of thirst in the desert it would be worth the effort.....

It would be very nice if there was an easy to operate manual drain valve (like the release valve on top) at the bottom of the tank. You could simply connect a short garden hose from there to the winterization port a few feet away and draw out that water with the pump, transferring it into the fresh tank. Pretty cool, I think. Any ideas on how to actually do that? Weld an extra threaded bung onto the tank? A 5 gallon “reserve” would be good.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Just to update from my post above, with the fixes installed (removing Oliver's short circuit piping and installing a new control board from Truma, which was a recall item), the unit worked perfectly over our recent three week trip.  Nice, consistent hot water, no error lights flashing, no flipping the dial on and off repeatedly to get the unit to turn on.  Hopefully, that will remain the case from now on.  

I also noticed while working on it that on the back of the case, the screws that hold the plumbing tight to the case were missing.  Whether Oliver removed them for some reason on install or they weren't installed at the factory, I don't know - but the screws are what prevent the internal piping from vibrating and also prevent you from damaging the internal piping by over torquing the connections on install.  I'd recommend checking the rear of the unit to see if those screws are in place and if not, adding some.  

Edited by Overland