Warranty Service

One of our motivations moving from our Sprinter based motorhome to the Oliver was the expectation that the Oliver was much better constructed than the "production" motorhome.  Over the past 5 years, I've worked out most of the bugs in the MH - some of which were due to sloppy (read little to none) quality control at the factory, but also due to component failures.

While I am convinced that the Oliver pays a great deal of attention to assembly quality, one of my lingering concerns is the quality of components (fridge, a/c, fans, etc.). Oliver has little control over the quality of these components - other than that of specifying what they choose to install. As I have mentioned in other posts, the no name batteries is one example where they could choose better components.

Stuff is going to break and my experience with the large MH manufacturer for warranty service was abysmal. So for those of you that have had to deal with Oliver (since they don't have a dealer network) - how do you get stuff fixed - especially if you are on the road? What about at home?  Will they pay for a mobile repair service?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

I agree, Oliver Travel Trailers are quality built and in my opinion nothing else comes close.  The components are where you may find some problems.  Oliver does a good job picking the best they can find but they are limited to what is available.

We have had a few issues with components.  Bad radio, moisture between the pains of the bathroom window and dry rotted shock bushings. 

In each incident, I let Cindy/Jason know of the problem and within a week, I had the replacement.  I am handy so, I have corrected the problems myself and have enjoyed doing it.  

Each time, Oliver has offered for me to take it to a repair facility of my choice and stated they would work with them to get the parts needed and to schedule the repair.

So far, I couldn't be happier with their service.

Thank you Cindy and Jason!

Andrew

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

I've had a few problems with the components (accessories) with my Oliver trailer, I will say here that Oliver said I could take it to a local RV dealer that was on there approved list. I personally don't care for RV dealers in general and I talked with Oliver service and told then about the problems and told them if they would send me the replacement parts I could replace them, I feel qualified to do this. Regardless of how well they build their trailers accessories can always go bad regardless of the quality of the item installed. It's just the RV industry accessory manufactures in general, they are not Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc., and there quality no where comes close to them. My neighbor has his $350,000 diesel pusher in service all the time, he just thinks its normal for an RV.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately there seems to be a race to the bottom as to RV components and there are limited choices at reasonable prices.  Dometic is on my list as one of the worst. I see some have modified their Oliver’s with compressor type fridges and things, but one of the reasons for us buying the Oliver was to avoid the excessive mods we had to do to on our MH to make it more reliable and comfortable. I really hope the Oliver will prove to be better than the MH. And yes, although I wish Denso made RV components and Lexus made RV’s,  I know they don’t!

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Oliver Travel Trailer Company is unlike ANY other company with whom I've ever dealt.  They are honest, hard working and go above and beyond in trying to help when things go wrong.  Unfortunately, these words are so hard to believe until you experience this kind of service for yourself.  Only then will you really understand what has ben meant by many of us welcoming you to the "family".

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

To get those really high quality components as standard equipment, you have to go up the ladder a whole great big step to the expedition rigs -Earth Cruiser, etc. They come with super reliable, bulletproof appliances but they are not in the price range of the average buyer. XPCamper was the cheapest of these high end rigs, starting at around $120k plus the cost of the truck and the special ute bed, and they folded without warning six months ago for financial reasons. It was a terrible shock to the overlanding community. Earth Cruisers used to be affordable, starting at around $250k. Now the base price for an EXP is $400k.....though they will be selling “cheaper” units bolted to an American built 3500 truck.

It is really hard to offer super high end products at affordable prices, and remain in business more than a few years. Olivers are really great trailers from a great company. You just have to accept the appliances for what they are - mediocre. If you plan to keep yours a long time, you can replace stuff as they die, with better marine units.

I do wish they would offer a factory electric over hydraulic disk brake option, I think the standard brakes are pure unadulterated garbage and very unsafe.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John, I  agree that the Webasto diesel appliances on the Earth Cruisers are tried and true, but how practical are they in a travel trailer with no integrated  diesel source?

I've loved diesel heat in camper rentals in Australia and NZ,  but, those were in diesel vehicles. 

I'm on a different  tack, sometimes. I  love the reliability of our unducted old Suburban furnace, and its outdated  analog thermostat.  Though I  hate the fan noise, and its greedy power consumption,  I  do have to say how happy I've been with its longevity and reliability. 

I really wish Oliver would offer a 12v danfoss/secop fridge, for those who are willing to manage and monitor power. I  love ours. Wish we'd changed it up when we changed the norcold 3 way for the Dometic 3 way, years ago. Maybe someday I'll find a good spot for a 12v freezer drawer. That would really make me smile. That, and an oven. 😃 Well, a girl with a tiny camper can dream, right?

I've also been very happy with our Smev cooktop. Probably similar to the new trailers. Very reliable, easy to use.

Water pumps are easy swaps, or rebuilds. We've just rebuilt the one on the boat. Swapped out the one in the trailer a few years ago.

A/C isn't a big deal for us. So, we're still patching up the cracked shroud on our 12 year old unit. It works, on its once a year trial while I'm cleaning the camper for the first trip. I'm really hoping by the time we have to replace it that there will be a quiet, 12v compressor unit available, like the cab coolers being developed and sold for no -idle semis around the world. The 13.5 k ac in ours  is way overkill in a little trailer. And, noisy. But then, I  can't run it camping, anyway, as we almost never have power.

We deliver rvs, and have rented others around the world. I  love coming "home" to my 12 year old Oliver. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

John, I  agree that the Webasto diesel appliances on the Earth Cruisers are tried and true, but how practical are they in a travel trailer with no integrated  diesel source?

I've loved diesel heat in camper rentals in Australia and NZ,  but, those were in diesel vehicles. 

XPCamper gave you three gallons of diesel storage in a plastic tank in an outside compartment, to run the furnace, stove top and other diesel appliances. The equipment is so energy efficient that that amount of fuel might last for months.

1C119FFE-75A0-4A9C-87D2-66BB12B81FF6.thumb.jpeg.661fcb734200a1888742018572c110c6.jpeg

In an Ollie you would remove the very bulky 6 gallon water heater and gas furnace. Fabricate a storage locker with street side access through a hinged cargo door. Mount a diesel tank in there with a low pressure ”on demand” fuel pump.

Install a marine or rv diesel combination water heater/ furnace which has a TINY footprint. 

If you installed a dc fridge and replaced the cooktop with a diesel one, you could throw away the propane bottles and doghouse, and do something REALLY useful with that area on the tongue, like a big storage locker, or a full width flat tray for two or three ebikes or a small dirtbike.

None of this is rocket science, it just costs a lot of money, even with your own labor. I hate propane.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, topgun2 said:

The Oliver Travel Trailer Company is unlike ANY other company with whom I've ever dealt.  They are honest, hard working and go above and beyond in trying to help when things go wrong.  Unfortunately, these words are so hard to believe until you experience this kind of service for yourself.  Only then will you really understand what has ben meant by many of us welcoming you to the "family".

Bill

Bill,

As you know we were just at the Oliver sales office finalizing our order for our OLEll with Anita this past Wednesday, February 12. While there we had the pleasure of meeting Scott Oliver. Scott was kind enough to introduce himself and speak with Kathy and I for about a half hour about Oliver TT.
Needless to say we were really impressed with Scott and all of his dedicated professional staff at Oliver. Talking with Scott and also meeting Rodney was unexpected and just very cool. No question in our mind, Scott Oliver truly stands behind producing  a fine travel trailer. Kathy and I left Oliver knowing we will really be taken care of as Oliver “family”. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg