Jump to content

Where’s Ollie?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Ridgway State Park, CO just a couple of weeks ago.  Warm days but overnight lows around 50, good sleeping weather.  Visited Ouray (30 minutes away) and Telluride (50 minutes away).  There are several campgrounds in the park, FHU to no HU, depends on what you want.

 

0BDDF566-E465-4CD5-A955-C3CB0E158488.jpeg

B5259E05-1649-484F-931E-2E80FD8C970A.jpeg

57A96EF3-2FCA-475E-B688-6235460FD2D5.jpeg

 

Ouray Main Street.

B08EADA7-1D0B-40FF-AD6F-FDE80C30F878.jpeg

0C8A41E2-9517-4786-8410-2560D5A7C1B3.jpeg

 

Telluride.

E87CA17E-85BA-421A-93A9-34E351C6AF40.jpeg

08645113-C7AA-4422-90B4-0C1A6DDF9C91.jpeg

Looks fabulous and I love the town, so cute! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Ridgway State Park, CO just a couple of weeks ago.  Warm days but overnight lows around 50, good sleeping weather.  Visited Ouray (30 minutes away) and Telluride (50 minutes away).  There are several campgrounds in the park, FHU to no HU, depends on what you want.

 

0BDDF566-E465-4CD5-A955-C3CB0E158488.jpeg

B5259E05-1649-484F-931E-2E80FD8C970A.jpeg

57A96EF3-2FCA-475E-B688-6235460FD2D5.jpeg

 

Ouray Main Street.

B08EADA7-1D0B-40FF-AD6F-FDE80C30F878.jpeg

0C8A41E2-9517-4786-8410-2560D5A7C1B3.jpeg

 

Telluride.

E87CA17E-85BA-421A-93A9-34E351C6AF40.jpeg

08645113-C7AA-4422-90B4-0C1A6DDF9C91.jpeg

 Mike,

Great photos we are really looking forward to a Colorado trip!

Thanks for posting!

  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

The road from Silverton to Ouray  is called the million dollar highway. It's a bit scary,,but doable. (I'm the big chicken in the group. Height and motion sickness challenged, all of which apply. I made it. Nuff said. Both apply here in spades.)

In good weather, it's not a bad drive.  And, extremely beautiful.  

  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The road from Silverton to Ouray  is called the million dollar highway. It's a bit scary,,but doable. (I'm the big chicken in the group. Height and motion sickness challenged, all of which apply. I made it. Nuff said. Both apply here in spades.)

In good weather, it's not a bad drive.  And, extremely beautiful.  

We’ve done highway 550 twice now from Montrose to Durango, towing.  The first time was in mid-September and we had snow and/or rain at the higher elevations.  It is exhilarating and beautiful at the same time.  Many areas with no guardrail on the outside with a sheer drop off.  We plan on going back next summer.  The heat in south Texas is getting more undesirable every year and the cool mountain evenings and mornings are so pleasant.  Mike

  • Like 5

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

We camped at State Forest State Park, Colorado a couple of weeks ago.  It’s the largest state park in Colorado with multiple campgrounds and lots of dispersed sites.  It’s just north of Rocky Mountain National Park and east of Steamboat Springs, so all the sites are at elevation.  There is one campground that has 30a electric hookups, we didn’t see it so can’t comment.  Our site was at 9,100’ and except for one night of torrential rain the weather was great, highs in the upper 70s and lows in the high 30s.  All propane appliances worked as they should (furnace, hot water tank, cook top and Weber grill).

 

State Forest State Park is in Routt National Forest.  This is about 20 miles from our campsite.

FE264FD3-E582-4239-9B27-36B0EE3DFC17.jpeg

 

This is in Bockman campground.  9,100+ feet elevation.  Dry camping but there were a couple of well maintained vault toilets.

D121A268-DE1F-4146-B8FF-321C01CD6165.jpeg

 

The Weber fired right up despite the elevation.  Steaks in the Rockies can’t be beat.  Orvis flannel required.

BC4A3334-FB80-4B49-9C7A-1BDDC132F041.jpeg

 

This lake (can’t remember the name) was just a few miles from our site.  There were a dozen or so camping sites around the lake, well spaced.  I wish I would have done more research as they looked very nice.

E3F3B1F8-3926-4793-970F-C7C57BDA7A3A.jpeg

 

Still a little snow up there.

1A37FF3D-F701-4DE5-BBAA-FCE33D2B8717.jpeg

 

Carol got good use of her flannel as well.  Beats south Texas summer heat!!

D8DC4A0F-415C-4F72-BB7F-08A7F0AF9EAF.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Love 3

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We camped at State Forest State Park, Colorado a couple of weeks ago.  It’s the largest state park in Colorado with multiple campgrounds and lots of dispersed sites.  It’s just north of Rocky Mountain National Park and east of Steamboat Springs, so all the sites are at elevation.  There is one campground that has 30a electric hookups, we didn’t see it so can’t comment.  Our site was at 9,100’ and except for one night of torrential rain the weather was great, highs in the upper 70s and lows in the high 30s.  All propane appliances worked as they should (furnace, hot water tank, cook top and Weber grill).

 

State Forest State Park is in Routt National Forest.  This is about 20 miles from our campsite.

FE264FD3-E582-4239-9B27-36B0EE3DFC17.jpeg

 

This is in Bockman campground.  9,100+ feet elevation.  Dry camping but there were a couple of well maintained vault toilets.

D121A268-DE1F-4146-B8FF-321C01CD6165.jpeg

 

The Weber fired right up despite the elevation.  Steaks in the Rockies can’t be beat.  Orvis flannel required.

BC4A3334-FB80-4B49-9C7A-1BDDC132F041.jpeg

 

This lake (can’t remember the name) was just a few miles from our site.  There were a dozen or so camping sites around the lake, well spaced.  I wish I would have done more research as they looked very nice.

E3F3B1F8-3926-4793-970F-C7C57BDA7A3A.jpeg

 

Still a little snow up there.

1A37FF3D-F701-4DE5-BBAA-FCE33D2B8717.jpeg

 

Carol got good use of her flannel as well.  Beats south Texas summer heat!!

D8DC4A0F-415C-4F72-BB7F-08A7F0AF9EAF.jpeg

Mike,

Wow! You and Carol are living the dream! Thank you for your inspiration to travel and sharing your adventures. Your photos and write ups really have us dialed in on spending time in Colorado. Kathy and I love it that you actually post up while your camping! Keep the photos coming! We really enjoyed dinner at Crawmama’s and finally meeting you both at the last Rally. Those steaks look amazing! Keep up the posts!
Safe Travels,
David & Kathy

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just returned from a trip up to the Seely-Swan River Valley and Flathead Valley here in Montana. Had a great trip, no problem getting campsites without RSVP's but each campground did fill up all but one night. We Kayaked 4 of the local lakes, rode our bikes on a 28 mile loop within Flathead Valley and did a few hikes in the area the most grueling being up to Strawberry Lake in the Flathead NF, steep switchbacks would be an understatement.

Below are a few iPhone snapshots from the trip. Thanks for looking.

Campsite at Harpers Lake

IMG_0461.thumb.jpg.dc478e78a3ba8e1544c3d19189d129f3.jpg

Kayaking on Harpers Lake

IMG_0433.thumb.jpg.d3d43dd9bf87396286693ccee9aaf19b.jpg

Hike to Morrell Falls

QHVD8642.thumb.jpg.7a6113f56ff783d24bf4edcd735ffeec.jpg

kayaking Holland Lake

IMG_0459.thumb.jpg.6ae8d29ffa34d15b3d99c4a2c3399271.jpg

View of Swan Lake

IMG_0475.thumb.jpg.39a8f870d146968001ad60cb859359dc.jpg

Kayaking Swan Lake at the National Wildlife Refugee

IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.02dcbc4ec6afc2876ed4397b2dfdda27.jpg

Strawberry Lake, Flathead NF

EUOE0005.thumb.jpg.28e98d86d591f25b0a7e77bcaa72983a.jpg

Kayaking Echo Lake, Swan Range in the background

IMG_0483.thumb.jpg.655896fb8cba704cade7fbbc9967226f.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Love 4

Legacy Elite II #70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
21 hours ago, Patriot said:

Thank you for your inspiration to travel and sharing your adventures. Your photos and write ups really have us dialed in on spending time in Colorado. Kathy and I love it that you actually post up while your camping! Keep the photos coming!

Thanks, David.  We’ve learned a lot about where to camp from others on the forum.  We’ve been to some obscure camping locations based on other Oliver owners experiences so we’re always ready to reciprocate!  Look forward to seeing you and Kathy at the next rally or before!  Mike

  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, routlaw said:

Just returned from a trip up to the Seely-Swan River Valley and Flathead Valley here in Montana. Had a great trip, no problem getting campsites without RSVP's but each campground did fill up all but one night. We Kayaked 4 of the local lakes, rode our bikes on a 28 mile loop within Flathead Valley and did a few hikes in the area the most grueling being up to Strawberry Lake in the Flathead NF, steep switchbacks would be an understatement.

Below are a few iPhone snapshots from the trip. Thanks for looking.

Campsite at Harpers Lake

IMG_0461.thumb.jpg.dc478e78a3ba8e1544c3d19189d129f3.jpg

Kayaking on Harpers Lake

IMG_0433.thumb.jpg.d3d43dd9bf87396286693ccee9aaf19b.jpg

Hike to Morrell Falls

QHVD8642.thumb.jpg.7a6113f56ff783d24bf4edcd735ffeec.jpg

kayaking Holland Lake

IMG_0459.thumb.jpg.6ae8d29ffa34d15b3d99c4a2c3399271.jpg

View of Swan Lake

IMG_0475.thumb.jpg.39a8f870d146968001ad60cb859359dc.jpg

Kayaking Swan Lake at the National Wildlife Refugee

IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.02dcbc4ec6afc2876ed4397b2dfdda27.jpg

Strawberry Lake, Flathead NF

EUOE0005.thumb.jpg.28e98d86d591f25b0a7e77bcaa72983a.jpg

Kayaking Echo Lake, Swan Range in the background

IMG_0483.thumb.jpg.655896fb8cba704cade7fbbc9967226f.jpg

Those are beautiful pics and LOVE THOSE kayaks!

  • Like 7

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 Lithium batteries w/390Amp hours, and solar (pick up is May 2)

2019 F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with Max tow package

 

 

ALAZARCOFLGAKSLAMNMONJNMOHPASDTNTXUTVAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @Dave and Kimberly , the Kayaks are Old Town Cayuga (rotomold) 13 footers so they cut through the water nicely still do not hold a candle to a well made FG or Kevlar. We were once out with some people who had a 17 foot tandem FG very thin, narrow, sleek and light weight. The couple would flawlessly perform 3-4 strokes and they were gone. It was quite amazing to watch.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Legacy Elite II #70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike please forgive me for being off topic.

If  there is a Michigan Ollie or Fiberglass gathering next year, we would interested in attending.

We enjoyed our camping trip to the Straits Campground SP MI, visited Macinac Island during that trip.

Macinac Island MI:

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Tundra LE2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be up for a N MI rally, especially if we can do it on Mackinac Island.  Would be fun to hitch a team up to the Ollie, driving from the doghouse with my feet in the front storage tray.  What could go wrong?.  😜. Watch out for the road apples!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

We just returned from camping at Mt. Pisgah NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

Another Ollie was there, too. Met Lee, owner of #82 LE2, very fine person. We had some great conversations, too!

We trailered our motorcycle with the Tacoma and had some fine two-up BRP rides. Also had breakfast one morning at the Mt. Pisgah restaurant. 👍

Already planning another trip to the BRP at one of the lower elevation campgrounds for next month!

Great Trip!!!!! 🙂

97330184-01D4-473A-B5BE-BE068330BAF7.thumb.jpeg.7b0c461319c747f9a31244997bebe40a.jpegFEE92F2F-B5FB-465B-BBE0-83CC89FBCEE4.thumb.jpeg.cd9a25fb55fc08f620cc3ba1ca388610.jpegF7965D34-4A46-4FE2-BA8F-3F4A3162B851.thumb.jpeg.154077fab4620374909cb6ebcc3f78a9.jpeg84CA0201-E416-452B-A4F3-F5450D50504E.thumb.jpeg.49faf47bc02bb5d99cd339a7ee98a36d.jpeg

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Tundra LE2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Trip to Doughton Park Campground  NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  First camping trip to Doughton Park. Cost is $10 per night with the geezer card.
 

All of the campground roads are paved. There’s no water or electricity at the campsites and their restrooms don’t have showers. 

They have a uphill dump station that makes dumping Ollie easy. When filling the fresh water tank could only fill to 70% due to grade at fill area.

They have plenty of hiking trails. The picnic area was a beautiful place, especially for sunsets.

We will be visiting again. 

39CA8941-2A58-486A-9C32-0167787F02BB.thumb.jpeg.8a614a9ee22c96e03491161d5652399d.jpegC095EB0F-64CB-44E4-B75E-405D3D8EAEBE.thumb.jpeg.7b6bcfeca3809f1b4fb1b25a3fe9ced2.jpegE39B59D7-ECAF-47BC-8F92-045934E288F4.thumb.jpeg.d24e023e37c83b7a17543ca1ee642974.jpegF586E800-8612-4D9B-954A-5254DFF7EA84.thumb.jpeg.e993d989fd7622e4fdd0d838a6a922e4.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Tundra LE2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Those photos are calendar worthy, @rideandfly.  That's pretty close to Galax Va, right, but still in NC?  (Crooked road, music center, etc.)

We're going to have to check that out! Thanks!

Thanks!

Yes, still in NC, but not far from music center in Va on the BRP.

That’s what we like about camping on the BRP, if you don’t go hiking, a drive on the BRP always works.  
 

There’s a a detour around a bridge on the BRP at Rt 18. We drove through Elkins on Rt 21 to the BRP to Doughton Park.

After crossing into Va on the BRP.

25D11727-5E79-4C87-B26F-E871F090209D.thumb.jpeg.f0c1fb7cf06b31782b25a8a066962def.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Tundra LE2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, that last pic of the low bridge makes me anxious. we don't really have those things out west. once i start going on longer trips that take me to the east coast, i'm sure i'll encounter those and hopefully not ruin my Ollie!!

  • Like 4

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

@Cameron, you won't ruin your Ollie. We've driven the entirety of the brp, and many parts ,many times. Come east and enjoy our beautiful country here, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

It's the sunblocker fifth wheels who may have issues.

Another beautiful thing about owning an Ollie. 

To ease your mind:

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/tunnels/

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/tunnel-heights.htm#:~:text=Low Clearance,while staying in your lane.

It is good to check ahead. Every year, at various times, there are closures for repairs. But, you can get on and off the bpr, and the Shenandoah, to access local highways.

Enjoy the ride. Its amazing. Our camping property is 20 minutes each way from two entrances to the brp. It's a lovely drive, and we'll sometimes just hop on for a stretch to see what's going on, in various seasons.

I feel blessed.

 

 

  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

Thanks!

Yes, still in NC, but not far from music center in Va on the BRP.

That’s what we like about camping on the BRP, if you don’t go hiking, a drive on the BRP always works.  
 

There’s a a detour around a bridge on the BRP at Rt 18. We drove through Elkins on Rt 21 to the BRP to Doughton Park.

After crossing into Va on the BRP.

25D11727-5E79-4C87-B26F-E871F090209D.thumb.jpeg.f0c1fb7cf06b31782b25a8a066962def.jpeg

Lucky us, full time or part time NC residents.  We don't have far to go, to feel so very, very far away...

Florida is my home, but my heart is always tugged back here to our mountain getaway.

  • Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Trip to Doughton Park Campground  NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  

We just spent 8 nights at Doughton Park -- must have missed you by just days.... 

Fritz

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...