Gray Water Option

jo79RI

I have heard of people getting by with scattering their grey water around the site at the base of trees and what not, however I have not seen or read about anyone dumping their grey water as they use it right under the camper. I know most of the sites i'm aware of in TN would frown on that. I have done dishes outside in a tub plenty of times and dumped the water, however the perception of a sewage leak, grey water or not, under the trailer would raise a lot of eyebrows and draw unwanted attention.

• Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, jo79RI said:

Hello All;

In boating, gray water goes into the ocean.

Is there a way to divert the gray water in an Oliver to the ground, if it is allowed in the area you are staying?

Yes, just lay your hose on the ground and open the gray valve. Most areas don’t allow it for a variety of reasons. 

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I think ALL established campgrounds frown upon it. In a primitive spot out west, in the desert or forest, nobody will see or care if you water those starved scrubby bushes. Just let it trickle out gradually, don't empty the entire 30 gallons in a few minutes! A 50 foot 3/4' garden hose attached to a 3" to 3/4" Garden Hose Sewer Adapter works fine. You don't need to use the big stinky slinky hose for this job....

I actually dump my grey tank at home onto the gravel driveway, sometimes.

I carry a short section of garden hose and a bucket. In an emergency I could carefully drain some grey water into that and dump it into a grey water disposal grating IF it is not prohibited by posted signs.

Never dump your black tank except in a proper spot!  ....   https://www.newsweek.com/dave-matthews-band-dropped-800-pounds-feces-chicago-sightseers-14-years-ago-1064129

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John pretty much covered it.  We keep a long hose in the bumper for times when it's OK to drain grey water.  Just use your common sense as to when it's OK, and follow the two simple rules that you don't let it drain right into the campsite and that you should let it trickle over time rather than pour out all at once.  If we do have a full grey tank and are on gravel roads, we might let it trickle out as we drive (I made a short hose that allows me to drain the tank out of the corner of the bumper as we go.)  

Camco makes an adapter that will allow you to drain your grey tank into a standard campground dump station.  We have one but I've yet to use it.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Please don't tell PETA on me, but, when boondocking out West I'll find a ground squirrel hole, place my "grey water hose" into it and open the valve to dump my grey water.  Perhaps the squirrel doesn't like it but the plants enjoy the moisture.  On the other hand, the ground squirrels tend to give me dirty looks.

Bill

• Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

Not only why would you do this but why share it?

Your a Moderator?

I wouldn’t read too much into this. Bill has a dry sense of humor and is in no way an advocate for animal cruelty. Dumping soapy water into a hole in the ground isn’t much different than a good hard rain. 

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

It was a joke, I'm sure  I guess he forgot the emojis.

Me, I'm one of those who gets cranky when I pull into a site where someone,  legally or illegally,  has dropped a tank of grey water and left a trail of dinner bits  .  Not only are they stinky and unsightly, but they attract raccoons and larger 4 legged visitors to my tranquil spot 

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Me, I'm one of those who gets cranky when I pull into a site where someone,  legally or illegally,  has dropped a tank of grey water and left a trail of dinner bits  .  Not only are they stinky and unsightly, but they attract raccoons and larger 4 legged visitors to my tranquil spot 

You are very right, it is not nice to see that. I hope folks dumping will do it very discretely and 50 feet away in the surrounding bushes. Not right behind the rear bumper!

It is also a good idea to not let anything but soap suds go down into the grey tank. No grease, food particles, leftovers, etc. Pans and plates should be wiped with a paper towel and that goes into the trash bag. And be sure to add some tank deoderant to turn the stink into a lemon fresh scent. Or a close approximation of one. I think every Walmart on the planet carries this product.

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Control-Drains-Treats-Holding/dp/B007JG1W1E/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Rv+grey+tank+treatment&qid=1581049598&sr=8-4

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Please don't tell PETA on me, but, when boondocking out West I'll find a ground squirrel hole, place my "grey water hose" into it and open the valve to dump my grey water.  Perhaps the squirrel doesn't like it but the plants enjoy the moisture.  On the other hand, the ground squirrels tend to give me dirty looks.

Bill

15 hours ago, AndrewK said:

Not only why would you do this but why share it?

You're a Moderator?

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

It was a joke, I'm sure  I guess he forgot the emojis.

We know Bill wouldn't hurt a fly and this is an intended joke as we can expect from him.

Bill, do you see what happens when you make a joke and you don't use our NEW funny animated gifs? *Inside joke* 😅

coffee lol GIF

• Haha 4

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

• Moderators

Yep - certainly not the first time I've tried to be humorous and have been called on it.:classic_blush:

Obviously, if one would not want something done to them then just why would they even consider doing it to someone (or something) else?  Nature and all animals (to include the human kind) deserve to be treated with kindness and respect.  I sure wouldn't appreciate it if one (or more) of those ground squirrels decided to pipe their "grey water" into my Ollie  :classic_angry:.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
On 2/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, JWalmsley said:

We know Bill wouldn't hurt a fly . . . 

OH YEAH?  What about all of those poor flies he skewers onto hooks and hurls out into the stream for the trout to eat?  Hmmmmmm????

• Haha 4

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg