Ram 1500 Hemi with e-Torque engine idea

GraniteStaters

Paula and I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 with e-Torque generator option.  I was going through some stuff and came across the brochure that reminded me that the generator and 48 volt Lithium battery has a 12kw capacity.  We have the solar option on our LEII so we are thinking that most times we wouldn't need a separate generator/inverter very often and because payload is important in our truck, I am thinking we could just park the Ram close enough to plug in the trailer harness and recharge the Swallow's batteries if we should have a less optimal solar campsite or a period of bad weather.  If I had to, I could rig an extension to the trailer harness too and that would allow some flexibility with the TV parking.  The engine is just as quiet as our inverter.  Can anyone see any holes in my idea?

David

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

I don’t know?   I hooked my truck up to the RV this AM when we had 4 inches of sticky snow on the panels and the Zamp confirmed we were charging at 13.5  volts.  I cleared the panels and checked again before shutting off the Ram and we were seeing 14.x volts so I assume the solar was helping.  The Ollie has been off grid for several days this week and we used about 20ah yesterday while we were in and out of it.  The batteries are about 75 percent charged per the Zamp.  

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

There is no doubt that charging while running the engine will work, but powering the trailer off the Ram 48 volt battery pack alone might or might not. I am dubious, but I think you need to check a Ram tech forum or even contact Ram customer service. It sounds like it could be a very handy feature. It depends entirely on the truck’s programming and the battery pack design if “engine off charging” would work.

Running the TV engine for long periods at idle is never good for it. Plus it is antisocial if you have close neighbors. That is why we use generators! If you don’t want a big heavy one to run the AC, then a 1000 watt 35 pound suitcase inverter generator will be plenty adequate for infrequent supplemental charging. But it will be measurably slower than a big one. Not a huge factor.

If payload has you worried, consider fabricating a rear cargo rack. Carry your heavy stuff back there and NONE on the tongue. Problem solved. Or at least greatly improved. Moving my tray and 2 full jerry cans off the front dropped my TW by 240 pounds. ....  https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3263-how-to-move-the-factory-cargo-tray-to-a-rear-rack/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I don't think that this was the question you were asking, but, be aware that for (at least) some places - like Yellowstone NP running a vehicle in order to charge a battery is considered exactly the same as running a generator.  Therefore, if generators are not allowed then charging via a vehicle isn't either.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"