Honda Handi eu3000i

Patriot

We have our Ollie order in and opted for the aluminum tongue box. Does anyone run a Honda Handi eu3000i? If so do you transport it in the aluminum tongue box?  Open to suggestions on how to lock it down.
Thanks in advance.

David

7F5AB5A3-B95B-4369-84D3-BE877E299422.jpeg

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

David -

I don't think that anything much larger than the 2000/2200 will fit in that storage area.  Hopefully members with direct knowledge will chime in here.  Other than that - get its footprint measurements and compare to the interior measurements of that tray.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

David -

I don't think that anything much larger than the 2000/2200 will fit in that storage area.  Hopefully members with direct knowledge will chime in here.  Other than that - get its footprint measurements and compare to the interior measurements of that tray.

Bill

Bill,
I have the attached tray dimensions, and after reviewing dimensions of my Honda Handi eu3000i it should fit nicely with it measuring only 13”w x 22”L. I was Just curious if anyone who carries this gen in the tray and may have crafted a unique way to securely lock it down in the tray. I will craft something.
I may have a local boat cover craftsman make a snap on cover for traveling, weather, keeping it a little lower profile/out of direct view.

-David

D53A6D26-CB05-43D9-952E-33508317B994.png

8D55C0FB-296E-4C57-BCD3-F4449B8904F5.jpeg

26501393-D057-4137-A694-2AE90F5A292B.jpeg
bikes travel out of the weather.

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Curious. Why do you want such a big and heavy generator? 125 lbs extra on the tongue?

I suspect  a Yamaha 2400 , 50 lbs lighter, or a Honda 2200, 70 plus pounds lighter, could do the job. But, we need to know your needs. 

Maybe you want to go to the spring rally and see how others manage their ac/generator/ recharging needs.

We've lived happily for 12 years with a honda 1000, but it won't run ac or a microwave. (Don't use ac, and no longer have a microwave) . The Honda 1000 keeps our batteries charged when the solar can't. 

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

David, what is your tow vehicle? Loading down the tongue is acceptable if it is a HD truck. If it is a lighter one or an regular SUV (not for example, an old Excursion) you will hate what it does to your marginal payload.

I carry a Yamaha 2400 in the back of my Land Cruiser, it weighs around 90 pounds “wet”  and is plenty adequate. I don’t want to leave an expensive target like that out in the open.....

Sherry, the Handi weighs only 78 pounds, no gas...!

john Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

33 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Curious. Why do you want such a big and heavy generator? 125 lbs extra on the tongue?

I suspect  a Yamaha 2400 , 50 lbs lighter, or a Honda 2200, 70 plus pounds lighter, could do the job. But, we need to know your needs. 

Maybe you want to go to the spring rally and see how others manage their ac/generator/ recharging needs.

We've lived happily for 12 years with a honda 1000, but it won't run ac or a microwave. (Don't use ac, and no longer have a microwave) . The Honda 1000 keeps our batteries charged when the solar can't. 

Sherry 

Sherry,

It’s weighs in at only 78 lbs, is Honda whisper quiet, and it will run anything we wish to run in the Ollie especially the A/C or microwave should we need it. A great little get set.
I am glad the Honda 1000 has worked so well for you. We really like our eu3000i.
-David 

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

12 hours ago, John E Davies said:

David, what is your tow vehicle? Loading down the tongue that much is acceptable if it is a HD truck. If it is a lighter one or an regular SUV (not for example, an old Excursion) you will hate what it does to your marginal payload. I think the actual tray is factory rated for 140 pounds, but considering the way it is attached with just two ubolts along the centerline, I would never put that much in it.

I carry a Yamaha 2400 in the back of my Land Cruiser, it weighs around 90 pounds and is plenty adequate. I don’t want to leave an expensive target like that out in the open.....

john Davies

Spokane WA

Hi John,

Good points. We own a Tundra Platinum Crewmax. I use to carry the eu3000i in the bed between the bikes when hauling our former camper. I will have to see how the basket handles 78 lbs be just setting the gen in it. If it’s not up for the weight, and it might not be, I will revert gen storage back to the truck bed. 
Thanks,

David 

Edit- Thanks for advising me on the load weight limit of 140 lbs on the tongue box John. At 78# I think it will support my Honda fine while camped. 

657AE9D6-29E2-4C04-A58A-80997FDF9A8D.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Thanks. I saw the honda 3000, and immediately thought of the heftier 3000is.

I've never physically seen a handi 3000i. Looking at the specs, it's pretty comparable in weight to the Yamaha 2400,  and quite capable. . And, the generator you already own is often better than buying something else.

I agree with john davies, though,  as far as carrying it on the tongue. We carry our genset in the truck bed. Too much temptation out in the public view. And, no need for extra weight on our tongue. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:16 PM, SeaDawg said:

Thanks. I saw the honda 3000, and immediately thought of the heftier 3000is.

I've never physically seen a handi 3000i. Looking at the specs, it's pretty comparable in weight to the Yamaha 2400,  and quite capable. . And, the generator you already own is often better than buying something else.

I agree with john davies, though,  as far as carrying it on the tongue. We carry our genset in the truck bed. Too much temptation out in the public view. And, no need for extra weight on our tongue. 

Quite capable indeed, and Honda whisper quiet and reliability to boot. We have owned Honda power products for years. They have served us very well. The 7000 in this photo with a gentent cover is our temp whole house back up gen. The Handi will run our new Oliver with ease. 

7B6A5CB9-7C54-4AE1-A033-405FF6DD8112.jpeg

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg