How to stabilize the front of an Elite II

TenRing

I am interested in finding a way to stabilize the front end of an Elite II. The weight concentrated in the front of the trailer with the closet, bath occupant and two people at the table (not all at the same time) seems to allow a side to side motion when moving around in the trailer.  The single jack on the front of the frame acts as the pivot point for this movement.  I know a pair of portable screw stands can be set under each of the front corners, but was wondering if anyone else has a better idea. 

Edited by TenRing
Correction

I have felt a little sway on occasion, but never enough to want to do anything about it. The blocks under the rear stabilizers  and a bigger block under the front one seem to be all that is required. Maybe with the blocks under them, the struts are not so long, and hence sway less? I know I want nothing attached to, or resting on, my frame. At the Rally last year I talked with an Oliver owner that had bought a used Oliver that had with them on it. 2 were bent, and the other 2 were seized. Don't remember how they were attached...

Edited by Mainiac
Darn autocorrect

3 hours ago, bhncb said:

I've heard the X-Chock helps prevent side to side motion.

When I walk around in the trailer my wife complained that that trailer moved around. We have found that X-chocks do reduce this movement.  

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

We stabilize our trailer with the factory jacks that come with the trailer and we don't run them down too tight to put stress on the trailer when it is not needed, thus at our age a little Rock and Roll is still a good thing. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I don’t run any jacks down at all, if I can get the trailer level by positioning it and it is hitched. The exception is when it is gusty windy, then the trailer shakes and needs the extra help of the factory jacks.

Everyone’s tolerance is different, but please keep in mind, it isn’t a house, it is going to move around. You will adjust to it. Ever slept on a boat at anchor? LOL.... now that is motion.

I think a lot of first time RVers especially have unrealistic expectations about the comfort level of their trailers. That is why I recommend that they rent an RV of any kind for at least a week, before committing to buying one. Finally, an Ollie is definitely built like a little tank, but is not going to stay planted like a 20,000 pound Fiver..

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I don't normally use these in the field as the 3 point jack system works very well for stabilization along with the X-Chocks.

Since we have several visitors a month to our Oliver, I began using these Eaz-Lift Screw jacks on the front frame to help with movement while 4 people are crammed in and walking around our Oliver EII. They work well...

I've added them to the Amazon list we've created for all of the Oliver Outfitters in the forum: 
Link here: Oliver Trailer Outfitters List on Amazon

IMG_2951.thumb.jpeg.a9c188729a09c4acb50b7744343a176b.jpeg

Craig & Rose

Hull 505 -Galway Girl

Edited by ctshort09
  • Thanks 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

What little movement there is, is not worth carrying - one more - item. I don't have an issue, my wife notices it.  Perhaps if I was parked in one spot for an extended time, I would put a couple jack stands under the front. But that's a big if.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Based on past discussions about this, the bouncing/sway truly does bother some people.  Others, like my wife and I, don't even notice it unless we purposefully sit down and think about it.  But then I get bothered by untidy wiring between the hulls that I can't see, so we've all got our hang ups.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Overland said:

Based on past discussions about this, the bouncing/sway truly does bother some people.  Others, like my wife and I, don't even notice it unless we purposefully sit down and think about it.  But then I get bothered by untidy wiring between the hulls that I can't see, so we've all got our hang ups.

It’s not a big deal for us.  For those that are bothered by it carrying extra jack stands is probably worth having.  The more we camp the more we go with “less is more”.  I’ve got two sets of the the yellow legos (20) and three homemade 6X6X8” blocks that are carried in the aluminum tongue box.  This has been enough to fix almost all leveling situations.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

It’s not a big deal for us.  For those that are bothered by it carrying extra jack stands is probably worth having.  The more we camp the more we go with “less is more”.  I’ve got two sets of the the yellow legos (20) and three homemade 6X6X8” blocks that are carried in the aluminum tongue box.  This has been enough to fix almost all leveling situations.  Mike

Mike, how do you set the blocks?  Do you put the leveler on the 6" side or the 8" side?  Thanks, Nan

• Moderators

I use the legos under my homemade wood blocks.  The blocks are 6X6X8”, so they stand 8” tall.  I use as many legos as needed to lift the block to within an inch or two from the jack.  That saves wear and tear on the jack and reduces battery drain when we’re boondocking.  Here’s a picture when we were at Grand Teton National Park in September, you can see the back jack with legos and my block.

AAB540D7-2D4C-48AC-B3C8-262C008AA2AE.jpeg

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Nan -

Of course, in situations where the height of the 8 inch block that Mike uses might be too tall, he can always simply turn that block on its side thus reducing its height by approximately 2 inches.   Probably that is the reason he's smiling in the picture?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Probably that is the reason he's smiling in the picture?

He’s smiling because it’s the middle of September, the weather in Wyoming is beautiful, we snagged a very nice site at Gros Ventre campground and I’m sipping a nice wine.  Oh yeah, and because of the versatility of the blocks. 😆

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nan said:

Thanks,  because my grandson said he didn't think I needed to put the leveler pushing down with the grain of the block. He said I should put it on the 6" side.  Not going to argue with him, but I just didn't know.🙂

My blocks are not a solid piece.  I had an old pressure treated 2X6 that I cut into 6” squares and then stacked them with screws and glue.  I drilled through to add the yellow rope that makes grabbing them easier.  Then I put on some outdoor stain.  They’ve been pretty durable.

• Moderators

Nan -

I assume that you are just using your jacks for stabilization and not for lifting the trailer to change a tire.  If that is true then you should not have to worry about 6x6 blocks splitting no matter if you are with or against the grain of the wood.

I rarely use my rear jacks.  However, I almost always use one of these 6x6 blocks under my front jack.

P1000871.JPG

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"