Dump stations

MarkC

Doing  toilet research.  Compost vs reg. toilet.  Another dumb newbie question...Never been to a dump station.  Just wondering how long the whole process takes?   Does one just dump the black tank?  Or is this where you fill your water tank too?  I'm trying to imagine what the lines are like in Aug. at National parks.  Is it such an inconvenience that you have to plan your trip around when your going to dump.   I have no idea.  I can see myself the first time fumbling around with 10 trailers backed up and honking.  Like launching your boat at a popular ramp labor day weekend and it jack knifes on you as you try to hurry because there is 20 other boats waiting.  Do you have to leave at 3am to avoid the rush at the dump station.  Is this a strong factor for choosing a compost toilet?  Also, are these stations serviced regularly by the agencies?  I suppose it's like rest area toilet facilities.  All new territory.  Any thoughts would help me to make a decision on the toilet choice...Thanks!

• Moderators

Dumping is such a great topic!  🤪 We’ve never had much of a problem.  These are things I try to keep in mind...

If I’m going to go to a dump station where there may be others I ensure I’m ready with everything handy before I get there.  I put my gloves, flush hose and sewer hose end where I can get them quickly and not have to unload my basement to get to them.  If there isn’t a line I always do a black tank rinse or two after dumping black.  If there is someone waiting it’s pretty easy to judge of they will mind if you do a rinse.  Of course, that’s assuming there’s a hose hookup available.  A frustration last trip at a state park was that there was a rinse hose but it had no screw end and it was one of those elevated things so I couldn’t reach to unscrew the short hose and attach mine.

If we’re at a full hook up site, then there is no problem at all, just do your dumping at your leisure!  If my black tank is not very full, I use the black tank flush to fill it to about 80% then dump.  Once empty I fill the black tank to about 80% and dump again.  It’s usually pretty clear but usually do it a third time and it’s always clear.  Then I dump the gray tank.  It helps the gray tank to drain faster if the tongue of the trailer is a bit higher than the back.

I’ve never had an issue with impatience from those waiting to dump.  Occasionally there will be someone who makes a mess and doesn’t clean up well which can be aggravating. We’ve met some interesting folks while waiting to dump!

It’s also good to remember that there are other places to dump.  Pick up the Allstays Dump app.  On our way home last week after staying at a COE campground with no hookups and no dump station we dumped at a rest stop on I-10 in Texas.  Clean and nobody there.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Once, when leaving a private campground, there was a line at the dump station. I asked the host if I could use an emptied full service sewer site to dump? He said sure, it all goes to the same place. Not sure all host would see it that way, but it doesn't hurt to ask, and they might like the idea that you don't hold up the line. Usually they like to empty the campsites early so they can clean and get ready for the next influx. Make sure you "police" the site so they feel good about letting you do that. Leave it nicer than you found it...

Edited by Mainiac
Author error
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Mark, I was like you before picking up our Oliver. Never pulled a trailer, and had never visited a dump station. I did a bunch of research online, and here are some of the pearls of wisdom from my notes.

To answer your specific questions: The whole process probably takes 10 minutes. I have rarely had to wait in a line to dump at state and national parks, which is where we mostly camp. Sometimes there is a small line, and as @Mike and Carol said, be prepared to that you can be as quick as possible. If you want a composting toilet, by all means get it; but I would not make that decision based on long lines for tank dumping. Also, with a composting toilet you will still need to dump your grey tank. 

You don't need to dump the black tank every time you dump your grey tank. You want to let your black tank be at least 3/4 full before dumping, and you want to have your grey tank pretty full, to use the grey water as a rinse for the sewer hose. If you are dumping the black tank, then do it first. Then the grey tank which provides the rinse water for the sewer hose. There are a lot of forum threads on what is the best type of sewer hose, but everyone agrees that you want to have a clear plastic elbow so that you can visually see that the water is clear and thus the rinse is complete.

If you are going to do a black tank rinse, you should do it after the black tank dump, and before the grey tank dump. I read somewhere that one should rinse the black tank every other time you dump the black tank, and I usually follow that advice. Like @Mike and Carol said, if I am going to do a black tank rinse, I will do it twice.  Also you want to buy a dedicated black tank hose that is a different color than your fresh water hoses. You should also get a Y-connector so that you can connect your black tank hose to the campground water supply without disconnecting the fresh water supply. 

I saved some links when I was researching on best dumping practice, including this website, and two YouTube Videos:

The Oliver design makes all of this easier, as there is a dedicated water inlet for the black tank flush, and the rear bumper is designed to store your sewer hoses. 

You probably do not want to do your first tank dump in a situation where people might be waiting, where perceived peer pressure might force a mistake. Dump your tanks the first few times at a campground with full hookups, so you don't have to hurry. Make yourself a step-by-step checklist. 

Don't stress about it! Soon you will be a pro!

Edited by DavidS
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

If you're totally new to the dumping procedure, you might try a suggestion I've made to a few friends.  Spend your first few nights at a full hookup site. Get set up, rest a bit, then fill both tanks at least halfway with clean water. Then, try dumping for the first time, at your own site, and at your leisure. We've camped the first few nights with a few new owners ( my sister, neighbors) of different brands, and this has been very helpful to them.

Trying out your new dumping procedure with clean water is a bit wasteful,  but a heck of a lot lesss intimidating. Should you fail to get the hose on right, oh well. It's all clean, anyway.

Jo, full hookups means you have water, sewer, and electric at your site. So, you can dump where you are parked.

Newer owners, is the black tank rinse feature standard now?

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, DavidS said:

Mark, I was like you before picking up our Oliver. Never pulled a trailer, and had never visited a dump station. I did a bunch of research online, and here are some of the pearls of wisdom from my notes.

To answer your specific questions: The whole process probably takes 10 minutes. I have rarely had to wait in a line to dump at state and national parks, which is where we mostly camp. Sometimes there is a small line, and as @Mike and Carol said, be prepared to that you can be as quick as possible. If you want a composting toilet, by all means get it; but I would not make that decision based on long lines for tank dumping. Also, with a composting toilet you will still need to dump your grey tank. 

You don't need to dump the black tank every time you dump your grey tank. You want to let your black tank be at least 3/4 full before dumping, and you want to have your grey tank pretty full, to use the grey water as a rinse for the sewer hose. If you dumping the black tank, then do it first. Then the grey tank which provides the rinse water for the sewer hose. There are a lot of forum threads on what is the best type of sewer hose, but everyone agrees that you want to have a clear plastic elbow so that you can visually see that the water is clear and thus the rinse is complete.

If you are going to do a black tank rinse, you should do it after the black tank dump, and before the grey tank dump. I read somewhere that one should rinse the black tank every other time you dump the black tank, and I usually follow that advice. Like @Mike and Carol said, if I am going to do a black tank rinse, I will do it twice.  Also you want to buy a dedicated black tank hose that is a different color than your fresh water hoses. You should also get a Y-connector so that you can connect your black tank hose to the campground water supply without disconnecting the fresh water supply. 

I saved some links when I was researching on best dumping practice, including this website, and two YouTube Videos:

The Oliver design makes all of this easier, as there is a dedicated water inlet for the black tank flush, and the rear bumper is designed to store your sewer hoses. 

You probably do not want to do your first tank dump in a situation where people might be waiting, where perceived peer pressure might force a mistake. Dump your tanks the first few times at a campground with full hookups, so you don't have to hurry. Make yourself a step-by-step checklist. 

Don't stress about it! Soon you will be a pro!

DavidS,

This was excellent, Thank you for posting! 

Patriot

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

As to the question about lines at the dump station, that's usually worst on Sunday,  around checkout,  when weekend campers are leaving . And other days, around checkout time is lighter than Sunday, but busier than early morning. 

Leaving on a weekday, early, is pretty much golden. 

And, seriously,  no one has ever, ever honked or acted impatient, that I've seen. Honestly,  if in doubt, someone behind you will probably help you. Just ask.

My mother in law told me that when  she and poppy flew to California  and picked up their Dolphin camper in the 70s, they were surprised at how helpful fellow campers were, as they knew "zero,". I  don't think much has changed. We're all pretty willing to help.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

jo79RI -

Yes, new Olivers come with a "stinky slinky" that attaches to the Oliver and then the other end is placed in the sewer opening.  However, while the new Oliver also comes with a drinking water hose, it is NOT what you want to use for rinsing your black tank!  My recommendation is that you purchase a length of garden hose that is NOT white (I've got a grey one but virtually any color other than white is OK so that you don't accidently mix up your drinking water hose with the one you use for your black tank).

There are plenty of YouTube videos on this subject and it really isn't any big deal.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"