Tether for Propane Tank Access Port

hobo

At the rally last year (or perhaps the year before) I noted a couple of folks who had put a small wire tether on their access port covers.  At least one person advised me that they actually used the safety wires for light fixtures as their source of their tethers.  They also advised that they had a few of them and would send me one if I sent them a note after the rally.  Well of course, I forgot who this person was so I am seeking to find that person or otherwise, have anyone on the forum advise the best way to accomplish the task at hand.

Thanks, Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Good morning Hobo!

We stayed section F, about as far from the lake as we could get and I use a short wire cable to secure my propane access port. I believe you were just down the road from us.  I have already put 10 or 12 of the cables in my OTT to give away at the rally to anyone interested.  "the dog house" will be in the same spot.

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks for this idea!    Time for another update to the Ollie.  I needed something to tinker with during the winter.  🙂  Found these on Amazon (of course).  A couple small eye-bolts and a small swivel (to allow unscrewing of the port cover without twisting the cable) should do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKWXGL1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jyPrEbHM3TRKR

Edited by FrankC

We used a piece of "parachute" cord. It happened to be bright purple. After that we put on a crimp-on 12 v electrical fitting. The one with the hole in it. Our hatch was self installed (just before Oliver made them standard). Ours has a place to put a small screw through the electrical piece and into the hole in the cover. The screw isn't fetched up tight so it can swivel. Also the cord can twist and not bind. One of the nuts holding the hatch on was loosened and another crimp on was added. After crimping the fitting we heat treated (melted) the nylon cord and as it melted it swelled so the fitting couldn't slide off.  Without this tether I am sure the cover would be sitting on the edge of a back road somewhere. 

There might even be a picture on here someplace awhile back. My pictures are on another device and the Oliver is in a line to get the Dexters checked. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

While on this subject,  I have a hard time getting my cover to screw on evenly and smoothly.  Seems like it is being-cross threaded at times.  Was wondering if a lubricant of some nature might make this easier.  Any suggestions?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

hobo - 

I give those threads a shot of "303 Protectant" a couple of times a year.  I'm sure that a pure silicon spray would do just as well or even simply rub those threads with paraffin wax.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, hobo said:

While on this subject,  I have a hard time getting my cover to screw on evenly and smoothly.  Seems like it is being-cross threaded at times.  Was wondering if a lubricant of some nature might make this easier.  Any suggestions?

Hold the cover in place and turn counter-clockwise until you feel/hear the threads engage, then turn clockwise until snug.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1