Humidity

jo79RI

• Moderators

Humidity inside a structure that doesn't "breathe" can be a problem.  The obvious answers are to allow it to breathe or to reduce the source of the humidity.  This means to either get air circulation with less humid air or remove the source.

Opening a window - sometimes a crack will do and sometimes you might need to go "all in" by simply opening it.  Turning on the MaxAir Fan with a cracked window.  Use the air conditioner.  Use supplemental fans.  Use products like "Damp-rid" or an actual de-humidifier.

Take your showers in the campground shower house.  Cook outside.  Certainly open that MaxAir fan when you cook inside - it helps reduce humidity and odors.

Remember that while your Oliver furnace takes in outside air for combustion an then expels that back to the outside, any other propane devices you might use (propane cooktop, propane heaters such as the Mr. Heater) produce moisture as a by product of combustion.

I've found that the "answer" to this problem depends on the conditions.  But the first think I do is crack that window.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks to the double hull, condensation isn't so much the issue as it can be with other fiberglass trailers.  And of course, there's no carpet covered walls to hold that moisture and create a potential for mildew.  Still, you'll often see some condensation on the walls after taking a shower or around the cooktop when cooking.  Like Bill said though, there's not a lot of volume in the trailer so a cracked window and maybe turning the max fan on low will clear it up quickly.  We'll do that as routine when cooking.  If you install a shower curtain in the bath, it will act as a privacy curtain so that you can also open that window when showering, or just after.  The vent fan in the bath is pretty powerful, so it will clear out much if not all of the humidity while you're toweling off, so that it doesn't go into the main cabin when you open the door.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Also, nighttime humidity can be more of a problem for some people.  I used to occasionally wake up in the morning with the sheets that were against the hull being wet since I had slept with my back leaning against the wall.  That stopped when we switched from a mattress to cushions, since I just leave the back cushions in place when I sleep.  My wife never had the same problem.  We sleep with a window cracked, so we never see any build up of humidity in the cabin at night.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1