Best Insurance Discounts???

Big Hiller

Just curious if anyone has found Good Sams, AARP, AMAC , etc...to have any exceptional values for placing your RV insurance?   I have been with Good Sams in the past but didn't really notice anything substantial for discounts....(perhaps I missed it too), but curious if any of you have found one of the organizations to really be helpful in offering great discounts....    Most of them seem to place with Progressive anyway it seems like.....

It is entirely up to where (and how) your unit is stored. I have been a very longtime AAA member and have their RV Roadside Assistance (with 200 mile free towing). But even so, their insurance rate for “Mouse” was not so great. I went with Progressive.

Call around or ask for quotes from their websites. Be sure to compare features, a stripped rate will not provide equal loss coverage to a premium policy. Mine will replace my stolen Ollie with a “similar” new replacement Ollie for the first five years. After that it will pay me the purchase price.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Insurance rates are pretty much set by your states insurance board, so don't expect your rates to be the same for your trailer and even the same insurance company by what other post on the forum. I don't know about your state, but in Texas just living in another county can make a big difference in your premium. We have Progressive on our home and autos, but just couldn't get that good of rate on our Oliver. Wife called an independent agent that she used when she worked, she recommended Foremost Ins., RV's are what they insure, rates were pretty much half of Progressive and others that I checked out. I checked out Foremost Ins. and all seemed to be a good company to deal with on both service and claims. It's amazing how much insurance rates change just living 60 miles south of the DFW area. 

trainman

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

Good Sam's gives us a credit if we notify them that the trailer is off the road and in storage at our home. I think this is limited to once a year, but not sure of that. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I have AAA Plus for roadside assistance and Progressive put me with Safeco Insurance for the Oliver.  I have replacement coverage.  It is for $52,000 (that is what I paid for my 2017).  Comprehensive, collision, loss of use and  vacation liability and my premium is $684 per year. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think Good Sam's is underwritten by several companies, depending on your state and policy type. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, SeaDawg said:

I think Good Sam's is underwritten by several companies, depending on your state and policy type. 

Could be.  I could only see it from the Perspective of a Virginia customer.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 3 months later...

Good Sams can give such discounts, but as I know only for certain categories of people, and in some specific situations. Some friends of mine tell a lot of positive reviews about General insurance agency, here ( url: https://www.general.com/ ), convincing me that they pay less for the same policies and conditions they had earlier with another company.

Edited by alexander8QZ