Entry Door Damage

deniwell

Ouch! Here is a pic of the damage that was caused when a BIG gust of wind whipped the door out  of my hand. The tail end of our trailer was pointed right into the wind. I knew it was windy and should have opened the door with my right hand and held the handle with my left. Lesson learned. However, is there some kind of modification that can be installed to keep the wind from slamming the door into the side of the trailer??  Luckily, the fiberglass hull was not damaged, just the door. Progressive Insurance will cover this, less our deductible. It was an expensive lesson. We have an appointment with Oliver to have a new door installed.

20200206_101051.jpg

Jeff & Denise

• Moderators

Ouch!

Obviously this issue is the reason for that aluminum plate on the door behind the rubber bumper.  A number of us have installed a grab bar that attaches to the screen door so that there is something to hold onto in the event of a strong wind - 

screen door grab bar

The only downside to these is making sure that people don't use them for "support" when getting in or out of the camper.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We think the hinges are damaged also. So, it seems best to have everything inspected and repaired by the people that put it all together originally.  

On the inside latch plate there are two holes that have no apparent purpose. We may try putting a strong cord or rope thru the holes and creating a loop large enough to put your hand through and hang onto.  

Screenshot_20200219-181737_Chrome.jpg

Jeff & Denise

I noticed those holes in the handle and they measure 3.5" center to center. You can get drawer pulls from a hardware store that fit that measurement. I got an Amerock BP86726D Brass Wire Pulls 3-1/2 in . You need to get 1/2" long bolts or cut down the ones that came with it. I also had to cut a Philips head bit to get behind the handle or you could take the handle apart. Be sure to double check your hole measurement, it may not be the same.

20200222_132746.jpg

20200222_134436.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2019 Elite I hull #496, tv is a 2019 GMC Canyon Denali v6

• Moderators

Buck - 

Looks nice and gives yet another place to grab - nice job - thanks!

Below is a pic of a rope/bungee that I made primarily for use out West.  With the afternoon winds out there my open door would rattle and shake being only held by the hook at the bottom of the door.  This rope/bungee has a stainless steel hook at each end, hooks to the interior side of the door latch at one end with the other end hooking to the propane tank cover latch.  It gives added support to the door with the bungee allowing some dampening of the buffeting caused by the wind and taking the stress off the bottom door hook.  I'll post better pis of this when I get a chance.

20160805_182203.jpg

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It's in the way but as far as I'm concerned the slide doesn't need to close unless the door is open. I like the solid grip on the handle but this is why there are so many flavors of ice cream. There is seldom one right answer. 😀 I have to add that I have been on many forums covering everything from aquariums to Jeeps to sports and have never seen such a friendly place as this one, keep up the good attitude.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Buck said:

😀 I have to add that I have been on many forums covering everything from aquariums to Jeeps to sports and have never seen such a friendly place as this one, keep up the good attitude.

However, we are an opiniated group. All well meaning and if I must say so - an extremely good looking "rafter"  of Oliver owners. 

I see one of the pic's of the door latch  has a metal inside door handle, mine is plastic, do you know if the metal one will mate up with the OEM latch.

As for the damage, the idea to repair with a large SS plate to spread out the load is a great idea - one that can be done pre damage. I'll put this on my growing list. 

Edited by BackofBeyond
  • Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The metal plate is a good idea to protect the door, but on the other hand, thats not a bad failure point if you’re going to have one, since it possibly absorbed most of the impact.  That is, I could still camp with the damage in the photo, but if strengthening that point just moved the damage to the hinges or even the hull, then you might end up with trip-ending, or at least more costly, damage.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

However, we are an opiniated group. All well meaning and if I must say so - an extremely good looking "rafter"  of Oliver owners. 

I see one of the pic's of the door latch  has a metal inside door handle, mine is plastic, do you know if the metal one will mate up with the OEM latch.

Opinions are good, the ability to present them in a clear civil, and short fashion is the trick, lol. I don't know if the metal handle  would fit but I think it would be worth a phone call to the manufacturer to find out.

• 8 months later...

We often camp where wind is common.  Our previous RV (Leisure Travel Van) door had a gas strut that only allowed it to be open to 90 degrees (which is not ideal).  Because the wind could easily break the strut, we installed a simple nylon web strap to the D-shaped grab handle on the interior of the door latch to hang on to while opening the door.  It appears the Oliver has a different latch, but maybe there is some way to attach such a safety strap.

The disadvantage to the gas-strut opening is that you have the tendency to let loose of the door and let the strut open it, thus you have no way to prevent damage to the strut if the wind forces the door open.  With the Oliver's free swinging door, the tendency will be to hang on to the door as you exit; maybe I'm wrong, though since it's been a long time since we've had an RV with a door that doesn't have the gas strut.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg