Towing Vehicle not yet determined

jo79RI

Listen to what these folks are telling you about the 3/4 ton pickups. I started towing our Elite 2 with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet gas burner using the Andersen. It was okay but I was only 20 pounds under my max GVWR and a 400 mile day on the road would wear us out. You can make all the weights work out on paper but you can’t get a feeling for how that loaded vehicle is going to ride or perform under the conditions you will experience on the road. I traded up to a 3/4 ton Chevrolet 2500HD with a Duramax Diesel. No worries about exceeding the GVWR and it it pulls and stops the Elite 2 great. Very comfortable ride. My wife enjoys driving it. No need for the Andersen. Uphill, downhill, dry or wet, hot or cold, accelerating onto the Interstate, rough roads, dips or humps at bridges, strong cross or headwinds in wide open areas, pressure waves created by passing semis, avoiding animals in the road, whatever, much better experience. And after a 400 mile day I don’t feel like crap while I’m setting up for the night. But on second thought, go ahead and start out with a 1/2 ton. That way when you do trade up it will make you appreciate the 3/4 ton that much more. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

47 minutes ago, Overland said:

So let me see if I've got this right - we've determined that a 1/2 ton truck would tow an Ollie fine, but a ¾ ton would tow even better.

Just want to make sure that this thread ends with the same conclusion as the 50 others before it.  😉

Well, maybe some moderator could make a sticky forum or Towing FAQ so that this stuff would be more easily accessible to raw newbies. OTH, Some of us like to chat, even if it has been said before.

So never mind.... we will keep leading them by the hand until they get it all figured out...🙂

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Well, maybe some moderator could make a sticky forum or Towing FAQ so that this stuff would be more easily accessible to raw newbies. OTH, Some of us like to chat, even if it has been said before.

So never mind.... we will keep leading them by the hand until they get it all figured out...🙂

John Davies

Spokane WA

We all love talking about trucks so we’ll just let these threads go.  In a couple of months someone else will ask again and we can all jump in.  The more miles (50K+) I put in towing my Ollie the more I move to the bigger is better group.  I almost went with a 2500 this time, but alas, I had have a Rebel....

• Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We all love talking about trucks so we’ll just let these threads go.  In a couple of months someone else will ask again and we can all jump in.  The more miles (50K+) I put in towing my Ollie the more I move to the bigger is better group.  I almost went with a 2500 this time, but alas, I had have a Rebel....

Except about talking Fords and Dodges.😳😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

20 hours ago, Overland said:

So let me see if I've got this right - we've determined that a 1/2 ton truck would tow an Ollie fine, but a ¾ ton would tow even better.

Just want to make sure that this thread ends with the same conclusion as the 50 others before it.  😉

And that would be - what? Yep most modern 1/2 ton trucks are adequate TV's. And for more money, size, power, efficiency, a 3/4 ton truck is a "fine" TV.  I don't have a concern on what others use, but I do believe when prospective buyers ask, I think I have a responsibility to give them the benefit of my experience. Ford, Ram, GM, etc. something I believe is a personal subjective choice.  Overloaded, underpowered, towing requires additional equipment, and etc., are usually objective measures that can be rationally evaluated. 

19 hours ago, Overland said:

Try not to get your undies in too much of a bunch this morning, John, it's just a joke.

Undies, I prefer swimwear in the mornings, the pool reg's require them....

16 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

That's most of us - Rebels - thus the Oliver... when a nice Forest River would do just fine. 

Next month, next year, next decade  -  will be at it again, the pleasures of a life well connected.

These forum topics are really good for mental stimulation.....

Ha,  have a great day all, panties, err - undies,  and all.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

8 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

That's most of us - Rebels - thus the Oliver... when a nice Forest River would do just fine. 

Nope, have one and it's on the way outta here when the Oliver arrives.  Spending almost as much on the Oliver trailer as we did on the Mercedes chassis Forest River motorhome.  Not happy with the quality at all on the FR.  Frankly, not thrilled that some of the same components are being used on the Oliver, but at least it sounds like Oliver will provide real warranty service.  FR "warranty service" is a cruel joke.

Edited by katanapilot
added text
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

after 4 factory tours over 2 yrs, we we’re preparing to order a new Ollie but Out of curiosity prior to pulling the trigger we decided to look at the used market... we decided to save 25k (Tn sales tax 9.25%) and buy a lightly used 2017 LEII.  It had the colors we wanted and all major options. The seller had other buyers lined up and wanted to move it. Thus we had to immediately buy a vehicle to tow it. We read reviews and drove several SUVs and decided on the 2109 Sequoia Platinum. The reasons weren’t very technical, we liked the color, my wife’s feet  comfortably reached the pedals and floor, it had a lot of room, and drove very nicely. It’s tow rating was low at 7000lbs with the 4WD, the gas mileage is as bad as it could possibly be,  at 8-11 mpg when towing, the tech package is outdated but functional.  The safety system is great, the ride very comfortable and quiet, and the 5.7  smooth and reliable.  We bought it as a tow vehicle but more as a daily driver.  Our local Toyota dealer was dumping one remaining on his lot, a brand new ones $12,5k under msrp, and $7.5k below other dealers in the area. The part that sealed the deal was the trade, paid new $42k 2016 TRD 4Runner, sold with 34k miles, got $35k for trade.  The numbers were too good, actually unbelievable, On both ends to not make the deal.  is it the best tow vehicle..NO. But for what we needed, when we needed it, it was a good deal. And, to top it off, she liked it the best! 

7C8FCD37-C05D-422A-8B53-2EF6F2767572.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Forget all the other stuff - if it does the job AND she likes it - what else matters.  Just be sure to not load up that nice Ollie any more than necessary.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Just be sure to not load up that nice Ollie any more than necessary.

Bill

Where's the fun in that......

• Haha 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

More to the story...I really wanted the Dodge Durango SRT, 8500 tow rating but it isn’t big enough to handle the dogs and stuff, the gas mileage is even worse than the Sequoia, the engine runs very hot and the exhaust a bit too loud for long hauls.  And, my wife wanted the Grand Cherokee SRT, but it lacked charge lol space!  Thus the Sequoia.
Regards, Mac