Andersen Hitch Groaning

AndrewK

I hate to bring up another problem with an Andersen WD Hitch but, I have a problem I am hoping someone has resolved.

As directed by Andersen, I compress the red bushings 1/4" when tightening the tension chain bolts.

While towing, I get metal on metal groaning sounds coming from the tension chain mounting brackets, on the trailer.

I removed the end bolts from the bracket and found indications rubbing wear on the link welded to the bolt, the first chain link and on the inside of the mounting brackets. (Pictured)

The sound can be heard almost all the way to highway speeds and loosening the chain does not help.  Andersen suggested tightening the chains even more but I have already reduced the chain length buy one link and have the chains as tight as I am comfortable making them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew

1123636971_ChainRubbing4.thumb.JPG.5eadc568a5d3d10e3ae81d20f71fd686.JPG366267542_ChainRubbing1.thumb.JPG.273acc4747d21a775be9ebec985733a9.JPG896229888_ChainRubbing6.thumb.JPG.adb36ecab061aa3a308f0939cec0c597.JPG1686584321_ChainRubbing7.thumb.JPG.c147687b16029963ed4303419fae246d.JPG

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

What you see in the first picture is a grove worn in the bracket from the link rubbing against it.  When the chain is inserted into the bracket, the rub marks line up.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are of the chain from the opposite side.

Anderson has offered two new chains.  That is nice of them but, it does not solve the rubbing problem.

Andrew

Andrew

• 11 months later...

Are you 100% positive the sound comes from the chain brackets? Are they fully tight on the frame, including the little grub screws?

These older hitches typically get embarrassingly loud “Spawn of Satan” shrieks and groans when water and debris get down inside the friction cone, but that sound happens only when turning.. The new updated ones do not seem to have that problem. So far.

I agree about putting grease on the chain links, at least try it for one trip to see if the sound goes away. If the sound remains, then the source is elsewhere. I do grease my chain adjuster threads and under the washer where it contacts the red bushing, mainly so the nuts turn easier. I have never put any grease further forward. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Without a doubt, the sound was coming from the chain rubbing the inside of the square tube, on the chain brackets.

Andersen first sent me the updated ball assembly then then an undated triangle plate.  I now have their newest versions of each and neither solved the problem 

Andersen said this was not uncommon to have rubbing sounds , when extensions chains were used and to try grease.  Grease worked for a few hundred miles and then the sound came back.

I called Andersen back and told them greasing the chains/brackets didn’t work and they suggested shimming between the bolt and the frame to cause the bracket to angle down.  To put it more inline with the chain.  Given the lack of space to shim and the fact the rubbing was mostly on the inside front edges of the brackets, I didn’t see how shimming would help.

I then flipped the chain brackets from hanging on the outside of the frame to hanging from the inside.  This improved the relationship between the chain and the bracket and reduced the rubbing significantly.   

The negative to flipping the brackets, is that they are a little further under the trailer and a little harder to get to but, the trade off is well worth it.

When we roll into a campground, we no longer have have everyone stare at us because of the noise coming from the hitch.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 11:03 PM, AndrewK said:

Without a doubt, the sound was coming from the chain rubbing the inside of the square tube, on the chain brackets.

Andersen first sent me the updated ball assembly then then an undated triangle plate.  I now have their newest versions of each and neither solved the problem 

Andersen said this was not uncommon to have rubbing sounds , when extensions chains were used and to try grease.  Grease worked for a few hundred miles and then the sound came back.

I called Andersen back and told them greasing the chains/brackets didn’t work and they suggested shimming between the bolt and the frame to cause the bracket to angle down.  To put it more inline with the chain.  Given the lack of space to shim and the fact the rubbing was mostly on the inside front edges of the brackets, I didn’t see how shimming would help.

I then flipped the chain brackets from hanging on the outside of the frame to hanging from the inside.  This improved the relationship between the chain and the bracket and reduced the rubbing significantly.   

The negative to flipping the brackets, is that they are a little further under the trailer and a little harder to get to but, the trade off is well worth it.

When we roll into a campground, we no longer have have everyone stare at us because of the noise coming from the hitch.

Andrew

I have a used Andersen Hitch that I just installed the Updated Parts on. My Oliver Trailer is on Order. However, I did take the Chain Housing apart to inspect for any Rubbing Marks and none were found. I think I'll put Grease in that area as a Safe Guard.

Pat,

I found the grease to be very messy and really didn’t make any lasting improvement.

I would not use grease again.

Flipping the side of the frame the chain brackets are attached made a much bigger and lasting improvement.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

In the old days of tailgate chains we sometimes used bicycle inner tubes to quieten rattle and prevent paint damage.

I'm unsure if one or two short layers of tubing would fit this without a detrimental effect....or if it would eliminate the noise in this situation.

• Like 1