MaxxFan laboring when opening

djpinaz

With starting to use our recently purchased Oliver I'm discovering some little things to get some thoughts on, which I'll post separately. 

Our MaxxFan, even when on shore power, seems to labor when opening like the little engine that could. It does completely open and run, eventually... It's as if we're running on battery and it's not getting enough juice. Would this brief description be similar to others' experience with theirs or could there be an issue with ours?

Darren

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

Is this the first experience you've had with a MaxxFan?

If so... We've had two (in different campers) and they both made a VERY loud sound when opening, which does sound like it's struggling. It's the same noise opening and closing.

Toured another Oliver recently, and the first thing they asked was if our fan made the same noise (it does).

We DID have an issue with the motor making a pronounced ticking noise when running, we contacted MaxxFan and they sent us a replacement motor which cured that problem. So, if you know the fan is acting oddly, their service department was very responsive for us.

2019 Legacy Elite II #488 - Delivery July 24, 2019
2018 F150 Platinum SC SB EB - Leer canopy

Thanks for the responses. I don't feel the noise is excessive. I'm thinking the lift gear powered by the lift motor may just need some grease. I'll try that and if no improvement I'll shoot a video and provide a time from close to open for comparison with others.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, Overland said:

I'd time how long it takes to open or close and ask others to compare that to their unit.  I think you'll get better answers if you've got hard data to work from.

Well it took ~15 seconds to fully open the cover. After taking apart and lubricating I can now fully open then fully close in ~15 seconds. Before and after videos attached. Not sure how the noise level of the fan compares to others. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Overland said:

Your 'after' video is pretty much the same as mine - same sound and time to open.  It was definitely having a hard time in your before video.  What grease did you use on the gears?.  

Same here.  Same sound and time.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Checked the video same as mine. This fan seems like it will be on a routine maintenance schedule. I already had to clean the screen twice dirt and lint  builds up quickly.  

Edited by Landrover

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Checked the video same as mine. This fan seems like it will be on a routine maintenance schedule. I already had to clean the screen twice dirt and lint  builds up quickly.  

I’ve removed the fan blade assembly a dozen times or so for cleaning.  I remove and clean the screen even more frequently.  A couple of years ago a flock of beetles took up residence between the screen and the fan.  I thought that if I turned on the fan at a low speed it might suck them out.  WRONG!  It was a mess... beetle guts everywhere.  When we got home I removed the entire assembly from the trailer.  I completely disassembled the fan, cleaned everything, put it back together, climbed back up on top of the trailer and reinstalled it.  What I didn’t do was lube anything.  I’ll do that this weekend before we go down to the coast next week (Rockport TX).

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS