Hitch hookup requirements

jo79RI

You'll need at least a Class III hitch receiver, and a single, standard 7-pin connector.  I think that most any ½ ton truck with a tow package will come with both of those.  They may all come with stronger Class IV hitches - mine did.  The backup camera that Oliver sells is a wireless unit.  I believe that if you want, Oliver will wire the trailer for a physical camera connector, but it's not something that's necessary unless your truck specifically has onboard systems that you want to take advantage of.

Oliver University

Edited by Overland

14 hours ago, jo79RI said:

What does one look for when searching for a tow vehicle in terms of hitch wires, and hookups needed.  How many wire harness?  Also, how does the back up camera hook up to the truck?

Hi jo79RI, keep asking those questions that's one way to learn, I will be curious on witch tow vehicle you decide to go with. Just get one with the Towing Package from the factory, you will be ready to go and you should have what you need. We do not have a backup camera for the trailer, just never thought I need one and have been towing for 50+ years, but being new to towing it can't hurt to have one. I would personally rather have the wife, or someone at the back of the trailer when backing, just can't backup and watch the camera, RV mirrors, where the front of the truck is going, and the wife giving me instructions. 

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Backup Cam:  From Oliver:
We have the one supplied by Oliver as an option.
The camera needs 12V power, and is all wired in by Oliver.
The connectivity between the camera and the display is wireless.
We have always had good reception between the "camera" and the display unit.
The camera as installed by Oliver is wired to a power switch located on the panel just inside the Oliver entry door.
To make the camera work, we turn on that switch, then plug the camera into a 12v outlet on the dash.
I like the display suction cup mounted in the upper left corner of the drivers side windshield.
I like the unit as it gives me view behind the trailer while driving down the highway as well as when backing up.

As far as new trucks that have "trailer camera" connections...I think some assume there is a wire coming from the back up camera, to the truck connections.

Also I've noticed that in Ford the new - customer placed trailer camera viewing is only available at slow speeds and when backing...it's NOT available while driving.  It has a long cable that runs from the camera all the way back to the truck.  SEE below...

In the GM /Chevy lineup the trailer Camera View is available at highway speeds and can in fact be one of the views in the "electronic" rear view mirror.
It appears to be a dealer installed option. 

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

3 hours ago, Trainman said:

We do not have a backup camera for the trailer, just never thought I need one and have been towing for 50+ years, but being new to towing it can't hurt to have one. I would personally rather have the wife, or someone at the back of the trailer when backing, just can't backup and watch the camera, RV mirrors, where the front of the truck is going, and the wife giving me instructions. 

If you have a camera that will allow you to watch when not in Reverse, you can turn it on in stop and go heavy traffic, like going through a huge urban area like Seattle or SLC (yikes!). Being able to see behind REALLY helps you with lane changes. This is especially true if your TV does not have really wide tow mirrors, like my Land Cruiser. I can just see the sides of the Ollie, but not anything behind it. I think that after adding the camera, my heart rate dropped by 40 beats per minute in nasty situations... it has a calming effect. 😉

It also allows you to check the load on a rear rack or tray, like bikes. For solo travel (no spouse) it is priceless.

I have a Garmin BC30 camera that I use with my Garmin gps, it is low res but works fine, and I can add up to three more cameras...

I bet that the factory BU camera can be hacked to turn on independently of the reverse lights. You could easily switch that power wire to the running lights. (BTW I always travel with them turned on, the little star-like LEDs look so very cool.)

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.