Hanging pictures on interior walls

nellybly

We will be staying in Maine this summer, so I bought a decorative tide chart for planning kayak outings. It is ceramic and weighs about 3 lbs. Thinking of using a Command picture hanger. Has anyone tried this on the fiberglass with an item this heavy?

Edited by nellybly
poor spacing of words

Command strips work very well on the fiberglass. Prepping with alcohol wipes is key. I used them on a clock and a weather station.  I  take them down before traveling  having them bang around while traveling may cause marks on the fiberglass or may or may not hold up with all the movement. 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

All of the command strip products I have purchased have a weight rating on the package.  As a general rule, the longer the tape is the more weight it will hold,

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I use Command strips to hold various objects. Very important to clean the area first with denatured alcohol to remove any mold release agent or other possible contaminents. Then I use double pieces of just the tape in a few places on the sides and along the bottom. So far things hang well, and haven't moved. Due to winter freeze/thaw cycles some of our roads can be quite "rough".

Where abouts in Maine are you going to kayak? Know there approx. 14 year around Oliver's in the state, not counting seasonal visitors. Be sure to flash your lights and wave...

I would recommend using the velcro command strips and then moving the chart someplace secure for travel. Those strips are great but it’s best to assume that anything that could either break or break something else if it comes loose needs to be bolted down or secured in a drawer. 

My rule of thumb is if I don’t think something will withstand an earthquake, then it probably won’t withstand a trip in the trailer. 

We have a number of items hung in our Olliver using the velcro strips. This includes a. Apple tv box upside down. So far so good after the 1st 2000 miles. The alcohol wipe down is important. We are in mid coast Maine just north of Boothbay Harbor. Let us know if you will be in tbe area. Enjoy 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

The alcohol removes any mold release, wax, or other contaminants,  but it doesn't harm the gelcoat. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.