Yet another Unofficial Oliver Rally... Progressive Style

SeaDawg

• Moderators

What a fun week this has been! Three Olivers at the amazing Ft. Desoto Park in Tierra Verde FL, then four Olivers at Withlacoochee River Park near Dade City... and it looks like at least part of the group gets to continue on to Florida's beautiful east coast.

We had so much fun with Tom & Karen and Chuck & Geri at Ft. Desoto. Lots of camping stories, idea sharing, and just plain fun talking around the picnic table (even though we ate dinner in jackets in the coolest temps we've seen this year...). We took off for one night to meet relatives & camp in the parking lot at the Tampa RV Supershow, then got back on I 75 to meet up again.

Today was awesome. After a frosty night (temps dipped into the low thirties here!), all of the above, plus the Kiefers, met at Withlacochee River. We all shared a little show & tell, (and a lot of laughs) and it was very interesting to see how all the trailers had been customized to suit each owner's camping style and personal tastes. Not to mention, just plain fun to have four Olivers in a row, in the same park.

Photos to follow... Geri (the real photographer of the group) got a great shot of all the trailers (and most of the campers...) at Withlacoochee.

Sherry

PS The temps are warming back up again! Come on down!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hey Oliverites!

Dave, Pam and Radar would have loved to have been hanging with you this weekend. You truly are in several of the most fantastic camping places in Florida...It's our old hometown! Did you do any fishing out by the Skyway Bridge? Or did you see any sleepy "crocs" on the Withalocochee?

Pam

• Moderators

Chuck & Geri,

Glad you made it to St. Augustine before the rainbands moved through Pinellas and Pasco counties. We had tornado warnings here and in all the surrounding counties tonite (odd this time of the year). After a beautiful, calm and sunny day, the temps are moving downward, and the winds are gusting with the rainband movements. Still, it's in the 60's on my patio thermometer. Just feels colder with the damp wind.

Hope you have a wonderful time on the east coast. Tomorrow promises to be a bright and sunny (though cooler) day here.

Wishing you safe travels and clear weather...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We made it to Anastasia Island State Park on Monday! The Whaley's (Meanderthal) made it in about an hour later! This is a beautiful campground and St. Augustine is amazing! We have had 3 night's in the 20's here (Is this really Florida?) and the Oliver has been snug and warm. Here is a hint, we use a small space heater when we have FHU. But we worried about the dogs knocking it over if we left it on floor level. Placing it on the table kept it from getting knocked over, but the bottom half of the Oliver got a bit frosty, ya know? So Chuck came up with the idea of plugging it in under the closet, placing the heater in the bathroom on the floor and using a bungee cord from the door to the cabinets to hold the bathroom door open. PERFECT :D Now the Oliver is warm from top to bottom, the dogs can't knock it over and the bathroom is nice and warm all night.

The Whaleys left this morning, headed back to VA. Chuck and I leave tomorrow morning headed back to Apalachicola. We have been on the road since a week before Christmas and we have had a great time.

I will post photo's later of all the parks and all the Olivers! I have to get home and downsize them all for this website. Keep warm ya'll! :D

• Moderators

Tom & Karen,

We're so glad to hear from you, and happy to hear your travels were good from here to home.

And, we're so glad you chose to come to Ft. DeSoto. After all the forum conversations and the phone calls, it was a true pleasure to meet both of you (and Suzy, too) in person. We hope that you'll plan another visit in our neighborhood soon. We had a great time. Only sad we couldn't continue on with you and Chuck & Geri to Anastasia.... We're very fond of the St. Augustine area.

Wish we could have contributed better, more normal weather for your visit. Though the conversation and fellowship was warm, the air around the picnic table was certainly cooler than we'd have anticipated here. This week, my brother & his wife (from northern Minnesota) have enjoyed three days with record highs (instead of record lows as we experienced during your visit)....

Thanks for the info on the SC campground. I've read about it, but never talked to anyone who had actually stayed there.

Sherry & Paul

PS We also agree with Karen... isn't it amazing the variety of people who choose Oliver trailers... and yet seem to have some common, intangible "shared thread". We treasure all our new Oliver friendships.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

It was great fun with four Olivers together at Withlacoochee....

January2009113.jpg

Sherry

(Sorry it took me so long to download photos!)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Watching the weather reports around the country, I almost hate to say it, but our weather here is balmy. This is why I moved to Florida so many years ago. Today's high in the mid seventies, tonite's low in the sixties, it just doesn't get much better than the blue skies, light winds, and glorious sunshine. Many years, our January weather is the same. This year, unfortunately, we had a lot of cold weather, but warm conversation and lots of fun!!!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4